Friday, December 19, 2008

Round and Round














Round One: I am not usually a fan of television commercials, but this one always makes me smile. And yes, they are real!










Round Two: Click this link. Wait for Boomshine to appear and press play. I guarantee that you will become addicted.







Round Three: A classic...pre-MTV! I always liked this song about the passage of time and getting older.



Joni Mitchell- The Circle Game

Yesterday a child came out to wonder
Caught a dragonfly inside a jar
Fearful when the sky was full of thunder
And tearful at the falling of a star
Then the child moved ten times round the seasons
Skated over ten clear frozen streams
Words like, when you re older, must appease him
And promises of someday make his dreams
And the seasons they go round and round
And the painted ponies go up and down
We're captive on the carousel of time
We cant return we can only look behind
From where we came
And go round and round and round
In the circle game

Sixteen springs and sixteen summers gone now
Cartwheels turn to car wheels through the town
And they tell him,
Take your time, it wont be long now
Till you drag your feet to slow the circles down
And the seasons they go round and round
And the painted ponies go up and down
We're captive on the carousel of time
We cant return we can only look behind
From where we came
And go round and round and round
In the circle game

So the years spin by and now the boy is twenty
Though his dreams have lost some grandeur coming true
There'll be new dreams, maybe better dreams and plenty
Before the last revolving year is through
And the seasons they go round and round
And the painted ponies go up and down
We're captive on the carousel of time
We cant return, we can only look behind
From where we came
And go round and round and round
In the circle game


18 comments:

Robin in Las Vegas said...

Your round circle art (first shown) made it into my "loved samples folder. Thank you for uploading your work :)

Pat said...

Great post, Seth. Loved the game and the there are bits of one of my all time favourite ads that I haven't seen. Needless to say I also loved your "round".

debra said...

my favorite joni mitchell song.
and a great sony ad! i rarely watch tv and had not seen it.
thanks for sharing.

Stephanie said...

Wonderful Seth!! round and round and round we go....

visualinfluenceblog.com said...

most commercials are crap, but you can definitely tell the ones that are thought up by creative professionals. that one was art.

Chris said...

Okay, I just spent a half hour here. 20 minutes of it was on the game. AUGH!! does it end? I love it, but I will lose my mind!!

Loved this. Are you putting round in your shop? I'm going to go see.

now forwarding everyone the bouncy balls.

viv said...

i am so with you here ;)

lklight said...

Looked at your blog this AM & I've been singing that song all day long! Thanks!

Shayla said...

Glad I took my time with this post, Seth. That was a lot of fun! Heh- made myself stop at level 10 for the game, That video was magical and yes I'm smiling too. Lastly, I really enjoyed your circle art especially the long compositions. Yummy textures and colors in the first long one and so much movement in the second. Loved the simplicity of it too. It catches the eye right away. Curious, though. Is the last long piece a sculpture? It looks 3D.

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

Music, eye candy, games....an extra fun visit to The Altered Page Seth! thank you! SF is the perfect setting for such a cool commercial, why haven't I seen this one = Love it. The frog flying out of the downspout....so many wonderful dets, we were just in SF this summer...missing it! AND JONI, if I had a playlist on my Magpie's Nest, Circle Game would be on it. Thank you for filling my head with music and art today.....round and round! oxo
P.S. I am afraid to get started on your addictive game link...wonder how long I'll hold out ;)

Lisa H said...

The ad works. I just bought 6 thousand colored balls on line. I'm sending them to you for Hanukkah.

Oh, Joanie.....I love that she considers herself a painter MORE than a musician. She excels at everything that she touches.

Thanks for the interactive, multi-media post. It's like living in a Julie Taymor play!

Jen Crossley said...

Great post alright its so spooky I just watched a life story of Joni this morning
Jen

3rdEyeMuse said...

this was such a terrific post - thanks tons for all the goody goodness. :)

MB Shaw said...

I am pretty much circle obsessed, but needless to say I loved this post. And *thank you* for pointing me in to Boomshine again. I had somehow lost the link and forgotten about it. Oh how I love that game. It has such an odd Zen-ness to it. For a game I mean.
Happy Holidays!

Jazz said...

That game.... Seth, you have created a monster!

Chris said...

Hey, did you see that you got Judy Wise addicted to that game?! And I got two emails this morning from people I forwarded it to, who said they spent 4 and 5 hours on it and THANKS A LOT!!

Oh, Seth! Thy influence doth span the breadth of this fair land...

rivergardenstudio said...

Seth, thank you for sharing the San Francisco video. We are going there in a few days, and seeing it reminded me of this beautiful city's charm. My husband grew up there, and we lived in the bay area when we were first married. Roxanne

Fran Meneley said...

Hi Seth - I love this song too. I didn't really know any lullabyes when my babies were born, so this is what I sang them. They still want me to sing it to them from time to time. So poignant to sing it them and think about my passage of time and as well as theirs. Thanks for the reminder. Love the circle work and solstice series too. Great job on your etsy site. Best - Fran