Sunday, January 8, 2012

Master Class 5: Familiar Faces


Welcome to the 5th edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals. More than 130 artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented in a series of online posts which will run every Sunday.

Style File and Techniques & Tools were the first two projects posted and links to all 23 posts can be found on the sidebar of my blog. The third project, Master Class, continues now...


Participants were asked : 'If you could take a class from one artist from anytime in history, including the present, who would it be and why?'
(Images and links have been added by The Altered Page)
----------------------------------------------
Chapter 5: Familiar Faces

Quite a number of the respondents chose artists who are an active part of our online artistic community. This was not surprising to me because each of these artists provide daily inspiration and many of them actually do give workshops. So maybe in 2012, some of these workshop dreams may just come true.

Theresa Plas chose Lynne Perrella "because I love her style, her books, her art and would love to experience a class with her energy and knowledge. Also because I know I can make it happen.


Jessica Walthall agrees. "No question, it would be Lynne Perrella. Her use of color and pattern astounds me. No matter how many times I view her amazing work, I can't figure out quite how she makes the magic that she does. Someday I hope to be able to take one of her workshops.


----------------------------------------------
Judy Shea said "Right now, Anne Bagby. I am engrossed in her approach to collage by creating one of a kind papers with her own printing and color mixing methods. As you examine her finished pieces, they take you on a ride to examine all the layers she's put into them. They seem complicated, but watching her create them (on her DVDs) is compelling and straightforward at the same time. Amazing!

----------------------------------------------
Billie's Craft Room selected Julie Prichard. "I love the expressive, fearless way she uses colour and different media in combination." Online workshops with Julie.

----------------------------------------------
Svetlana Spasojevic chose three artists:

Raymond Papka...


Daniel Essig (workshops)...


and Dorothy Simpson Krause.



----------------------------------------------
Katherine Labbe (AKA Miz Katie) selected Misty Mawn, adding "I have taken an online class with her. I can only imagine studying with her in person. Her work is pure soul work. Love her."



----------------------------------------------
Paula Bogdan "fell in love with Elizabeth Bunsen's (eb) journals a long time ago! Each and every time she posts pics of her journal pages, I spend hours lost in them, studying them, and wishing I could produce them. I admire her ability to recreate everyday magic with swirls of colors and bits and pieces of her everyday life. Pages vibrate with texture and color...soft or bold they always grab me. I think I could learn to let go of the rules and the need to produce "complicated" pages; I would love to learn how she uses the white spaces."

----------------------------------------------
Rachel Whetzel would "love to take a class from Kerin Gale. She does some pretty amazing things with that resin clay of hers. I'm a hands on learner, and for the things I know I would like to learn to do with resin, I know it's going to take a teacher in person. I think Kerin would be JUST the woman for that job."



----------------------------------------------
Roxanne Evans Stout may just be the first person on this list whose dream has already come true between the time she answered this question and this posting. Roxanne said "I have always wanted to take a class with Bridgette Guerzon Mills, and when I saw that she was coming to the Pacific Northwest I was thrilled. Now I am signed up for a workshop with her and can hardly wait. Her style and intuitiveness are both soft and strong. Her work is layered and mysterious and thought provoking to me." You can read about Roxanne's experience with Bridgette here.

----------------------------------------------
Luthien Thye picked Judy Wilkenfeld. "I love her altered books and the emotions they exude. They are poignant, but there is hope, feminine, yet not weak. I would love to be there to observe her thinking and creative processes as she creates. I think it would be like a dance!"

----------------------------------------------
Humbly I add that Bleubeard and Elizabeth said that "honestly I would love to spend one day with you Seth. I have a love affair with rust and old peeling paint, and would like to learn how you get the patinas and various backgrounds you get."

----------------------------------------------
Dawn DeVries Sokol is one lucky person based on her answer. "I can't think of any one person because I've already taken classes from many of my art journaling heroines, including Sabrina Ward Harrison, Teesha Moore, Anahata Katkin, and Pam Garrison. I've also taken workshops from many other amazing artists, such as Karen Michel, Carla Sonheim, Claudine Hellmuth, Lynn Whipple, Sas Colby, Lisa Engelbrecht, and Traci Bautista. Needless to say, I feel very fortunate."
----------------------------------------------
Next 'Master Class' will be held on Sunday, January 15th.

20 comments:

Billie said...

Hi Seth

How interesting that others picked artists that regularly post on here too.

Its wonderful that thanks to the internet we can take classes from the people we are insiped by, no longer hampered by geography!

Do you ever do online classes? It would be amazing to learn more about your techniques. I adore rust and distressed effects.

Best wishes

Billie

ArtPropelled said...

I would love to take a class from all of the above!

Commuter's Journal said...

So nice to see the gifted contemporary artists among us recognized! You more than deserve to be in this company, Seth. Here's hoping that someday we'll have The Pulse: The Gathering -- in NYC perhaps?

eb said...

sunshine,
snow sparkling
AND being included here
oh happy day!

what a great playshop and party

Seth you are one wonderful guy...

xox - eb.

Julie said...

Smiling in San Diego...but together with everyone through the miracle of the internet... thank you for including me in this post!

Maureen said...

Oh, some wonderful artists to learn more about!

The community might also take a look at the work of Susan Cornelis, a marvelous artist in California; and Sharon Kingston, a painter often inspired by Rilke's words. (I'm often struck by how many artists are moved to create works inspired by their reading of literature and poetry.)

bohemiannie! art said...

Thanks again Seth for so many inspirational websites to look at!!! I AM inspired!

Luthien said...

you know what Seth , i went into the link you attached to Judy, read that post and it reduced me to tears. my heart is in pieces now ...

Jo Murray said...

You always provide such thought-provoking and inspiring links Seth, and this post is no different. Amazing stuff!

Theresa said...

Great post Seth! I 've recently signed up for online classes with misty Mawn and flora bowley...on a waiting list for perella and bagby:)

Jessica said...

Wonderful post! I'd absolutely love to take part in The Chiaroscuro Circus workshop with Anne Bagby and Lynne Perrella, two of my very favorite artists! A workshop with any of the artists mentioned here would be amazing.

miz katie said...

This is such a timely post, Seth. I just signed up for Misty's new workshop, which officially begins tomorrow. So, this will be my second class with her, and I am so thrilled!! :)

rivergardenstudio said...

Seth, you are one wonderful guy, I agree with eb, and would love to take a class from her too, everyone here, and you!
roxanne

apaperbear said...

Oh so many wonderful instructors! I too would love to take a class from you Seth. Love the textures! The piece shown with your link is amazing.

Jill Zaheer said...

What a "star" studded post today Seth. Amazing artists showcased - and just love that I know so many familiar faces from your blog! We're surrounded by so much talent- and I thank you for bringing it all to one place for us! Thanks a sethillion!

nancy neva gagliano said...

whoa.....sign me up woth dorothy simpson krause and bridgette mills.....clicking on their websites isn't enough! thanks seth for the master classes, from the master!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It's sad but true, I've been offline for over three weeks due to a dead video card. I was shocked to see my link this week, only because I was beginning to try to catch up with everyone I've missed since well before Christmas. You are among an elite list of people who are respected in the blogging and teaching community. I feel honored to just be part of this.

BTW, happy belated new year and I hope your Christmas was great.

donnaj said...

Really enjoyed this post-made me decide that i need to sit down and list all the people that i have been fortunate to take a class with since i got into stamping-then everything else mixed media~

Robert said...

Master Class, Chapter 5: What a treasure! To know that there is this enormous quantity of creative energy out there just waiting to be accessed through books, online classes and workshops, is wonderful! To think that they are all connected with this particular online community through The Altered Page, is absolutely stellar! Especially love the images shown for each, and every, artist here!

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Familiar but ever-inspiring. Wonderful to see the Dorothy Simpson Krause book mentioned--there is always something delicious to discover between its pages.