Thursday, May 17, 2012

You Rule!



In their utterly unique voice that is immediately recognizable from their earlier books, Linda Woods and Karen Dinino, sisters in arms, have created the ultimate rule book: one that breaks all the rules. 43 pages of in your face, fearless, funny, and 100% authentic advice. This is a guide that not only makes you laugh but truly provides a road map to taking charge, making change, and becoming the person you always wanted to be. AND they encourage you to eat cookies too!


This book is not easy to categorize and I can imagine it in many sections of a bookstore. It is ostensibly a book about journaling, as it provides prompts so that you can create your own, personal journal of life rules. But really this is a book about life itself. And about how you can help yourself to create a life that is closer to the one you really want to live. Linda and Karen present 20 of their own rules but truly encourage you to make your own.

As an artist I was inspired by their original illustrations that illuminate each rule. As a psychologist I was impressed with their no-nonsense way of cutting straight to the core of taking charge of your own life. And as a very busy person, I was excited by the fact that I could easily read this book in one sitting.

Some of the rules are common sense...and quite polite, such as #6 Say thank you and #19 If you break something fix it. But most of the rules are bold, no nonsense and in your face. Consider #1 No responding to jealous bitches who do ridiculous things to get attention. Or #9 Don't expect rewards or sympathy for acting like a dumb ass.


You Rule: The Art Of Taking Charge is currently available as an eBook from Amazon and in print from Blurb. For more info on Linda and Karen, visit their blog.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh boy,

this is a book I could love.
Acting like a dumb ass. YES!

Lemme at it.

Brian Kasstle said...

Oh my gosh, I have to get this book for #9, alone. I work with folks like this ALL the time...

ooglebloops said...

Looks like I book I may have to buy!!!!! TFS

V-Grrrl @ Compost Studios said...

I've ordered three copies because I know as soon as I have it in my hands, I'll want to share it with friends.

elizabeth said...

This sounds wonderful fun
and, as you suggest, we like things that are pithy and concise,
and commonsensical.

Jo Murray said...

It looks VERY funny . Maybe I'll put it on my wishlist.

Ella said...

I love the idea of this book! It sounds wonderful and in your face!
We all could use a Sassy inner voice, once in awhile ;D

Thanks for sharing! What # is that rule?! ;D