Tuesday, May 11, 2010

True Colors - Michelle Ward/Lisa Renner






True Colors: The Project

Perfect timing: in this day of online journaling and slick publications, it was a unique experience to have the ‘real thing’ in your hands. Unmatched. Much to see. Much to touch. Much to learn. Every page. Every artist. Every color. The only thing online was our dialogue. It celebrated the process and forged friendships. Participation: an honor privilege. Motivation: accountability to myself and the others. Autumn: a favorite season of color, and treasured completed journal.



True Colors: The Book

Selfish glee: observing so many pages I had never seen. Evidence: pages I made for someone else. The Stories: priceless bonus (and favorite part of the book that never would have happened). To witness journal love by the many readers? An awesome added benefit. Being part of something that encourages artistic growth, including my own? That rocks.


_______________


Lisa Renner
Blue & Ochre

It’s hard to believe that it’s been almost 10 years since the True Color collaboration began! I remember when I first got the email from Lynne in 2001 about doing a collaborative project involving Color and Books, I was so excited I couldn’t type “Count me in” quickly enough!! What else could be better than that, right? Not only was I looking forward to the project, but also to working with the group of assembled artists: some of them I already knew from various teaching events and conventions, and some I had not met yet, so I was eager to share inspirations, art, and friendship.

Simple concept: We were each to make or purchase a book, choose a color for our book, mail it to each artist, and he or she would do a page or two in our color and mail it to the next person to repeat the process until everyone had worked in everyone else’s book.

What was really wonderful to me was that this project allowed me (forced me, really!) to work in colors, some of which I had never worked in before. It provided new insights into translating color without restriction, and in the process, new discoveries were made. I looked forward to receiving each person’s book and to the challenge that would follow. It was truly an act of love and dedication with each entry made.

When my finished “Blue and Ochre” book arrived home at my door, I could barely contain myself until I had examined each and every luscious page, which had been carefully considered and artfully mastered by each talented artist. I treasure it to this day.


Of course when we first began, we did not know at that time that it would be published- we were all in it for the sheer joy of collaborating in such an open format. When Stampington expressed interest, and in 2003 published our project as “True Colors”, it was such a happy ending for one of the most innovative projects I’ve had to the pleasure to be involved in.




10 comments:

Beanie Mouse said...

Has anyone considered doing a "volume 2"? If you do, I'd be interested in taking part!!!!!

ArtPropelled said...

This book is sounding more wonderful by the day!

femminismo said...

Oh, wow! I want to involve everyone I know in doing one of these too. What a way for friendships to form, as you say, Seth. Thanks so much for posting this. I'll explore more later, even though I can't hold the real thing in my hands. My eyes will get the treats.

Jill Zaheer said...

Great hearing from Lisa and Michelle on their thoughts and reflections on True Colors. Wonderful to learn more about the individual artists in the book and their love of the collaboration itself in addition to the pages within the books they made.

Anonymous said...

another fantastic post -- what a wonderfully way to form friendships indeed! i'm going to have to get this book now. thank you seth!

Shona Cole said...

I remember that book, I use to pour over the pages, can it be so long agao?? I took a class from Michelle Ward in a workshop that was inspired by the True Colors book, it was a lot of fun. thanks for the reminder.

Unknown said...

Oh Seth!! This is so great...I have treasured this book for so long and I love your post to add to my fondness of the book...
Your blog is always so inspiring, and you've done it again!

michelle ward said...

I was totally chicken to get Lisa's journal - blue is my nemesis. But I was very comfortable with ochre. Funny how I was determined to not use blue but I began working on an idea and it took on a life of its own and it was all blue! AND was one of my favorite spreads to work on.

Darlene K Campbell said...

I love hearing about everyone's excitement and anticipation towards this project. What a perfect way to connect and then to meet in person to celebrate. Amazing stuff we'd all love to experience!

Don Madden said...

Time flys when you are having fun doing art.