Sunday, May 2, 2010

Book Guild - Chapter 6



Welcome to the fourth edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. Nearly 150 artists have answered a list of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented as a series of online and print projects. Secret Sunday was the first project and the links to all the secrets can be found on the sidebar of my blog. The Book Guild is the second project and Chapter 6 starts right now!


All artists participating in The Pulse were asked to name their favorite art books. The Book Guild will present this list, along with links, book reviews, giveaways, and interviews with many of your favorite authors. And as members of The Guild, I am hoping YOU will participate by leaving comments related to the books in each post - for example thoughts, book reviews, personal experiences, or a link back to your own blog posts that include artwork based on a project in the listed book.
_______________
Chapter 6: Master Class

Joseph Cornell was listed by Carmen Nessman and Robert Stockton. As a favorite, Robert chose Navigating the Imagination by Lynda Roscoe Hartigan.

Joseph Cornell: Navigating the Imagination

"This is the catalog for the Joseph Cornell Retrospective exhibit which I saw at The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art in 2007. At 392 pages it explores Cornell’s body of work in depth."


Above is a photograph of one of Cornell's boxes that I took at Sotheby's in NYC.
_______________

David Castle selected Mark Rothko by Marjorie Cohen and Eliza Rathbone as his favorite.

Mark Rothko




Photographs I have taken of two Rothko paintings from exhibits at Sotheby's.
_______________

Basquiat edited by Marc Mayer was listed as the favorite book of K.C. Willis

Basquiat





Above are two pictures of Basquiat's work, also taken by me at Sotheby's.
_______________

Terry Rafferty chose Norman Rockwell:Behind the Camera by Ron Schick as one of her favorites.

Norman Rockwell: Behind the Camera

_______________

Two of many favorites listed by Tracie Huskamp were Wolf Kahn Pastels...

Wolf Kahn Pastels


...and Wolf Kahn's America: An Artist's Travels.

Wolf Kahn's America: An Artist's Travels

_______________

Robert Stockton also chose Dove/O’Keeffe: Circles of Influence by Debra Bricker Balken as a favorite. "A lovely book which discusses and shows how artists Arthur Dove and Georgia O’Keeffe strongly influenced and informed each other’s work, though at different times, and often indirectly.

Dove/O'Keeffe: Circles of Influence (Sterling & Francine Clark Art Institute)

_______________

The artwork and books of Andy Goldsworthy are definitely fan favorites.

Rosie Kearton selected Time by Andy Goldsworthy as her favorite book.

Time


Don Madden listed Passage by Andy Goldsworthy as one of his favorites.

Passage


Nina Bagley liked "anything featuring Andy Goldsworthy!" and LaWendula "would name all books by Andy Goldsworthy. He is such an inspiration."


Personal photograph taken in 2007 from White Walls, Goldsworthy exhibition at Galerie Lelong in NYC.

25 comments:

Leslie Avon Miller said...

Some of these are new to me and I will be checking them out further. I experience such an uplift from a new book. Thanks for this Seth.

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I love meeting every week to learn about what inspires others making sacred marks and their favorite books. Basquiat is such an interesting young man whose life was way too short. Thank you Seth for pulling us all together for the book feast. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

ArtPropelled said...

Its great to see some books that I don't know. My wishlist is growing! Enjoying the photos you've taken at Sothebys especially the Cornell.

Coffee Messiah said...

Thanks once again for some interesting links to people and books I have not been aware of.

Cornell was so good!

Cheers!

Lisa said...

thanks for another dose of great inspiration from some artists that are new to me. I am particularly drawn to Cornell...gorgeous shot you took at Sotheby's.

Commuter's Journal said...

The Book Guild is SO dangerous. I keep wanting to run out and get everything I see here. Love the list this week, too, Seth. Andy Goldsworthy is my favorite sculptor, I've long been fascinated by Rockwell's use of photos and although I'd seen Wolf Kahn's work, I didn't know the artist's name or background. This is terrific!

Caterina Giglio said...

great inspiration Seth! love the dove o'keefe book!

lynne h said...

i foresee a steep rise in amazon purchases as a result of this section of The Pulse... : )

love this, seth!

jill Zaheer said...

Well, all of these books are new to me so lots to research. Love your pictures which accompany so many of the books. Just perfect!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm so impressed that you have seen many of these artists' art in person. I guess that's one of the perks in living in NYC. I must check out these various artists, since I have heard of none of them, except Georgia O'Keefe.

Gwen said...

I have to put in a plug for Robert Rauschenberg! His work with photo transfers was amazing, and he remained actively working and curious up until his death.

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

and i reccomend his art and books to anyone

p.s. thank YOU Seth for all of your time and dedication to this (and EVERY single thing you are behind) this community.
bless your lovely heart and soul!

Anonymous said...

fantastic recommendations! i adore most of these artists and one is new to me which is even more exciting. i was able to see some of joseph cornell's while on my honeymoon and it was fantastic! thanks so much for doing all of this, seth!

Lawendula said...

"Time" from Andy Goldsworthy is one of my favs too! :)

Renee Howell said...

Hey Seth - thanks for all this information! Can't wait until the end of May when I have some time to actually record some of this wonderful information in my own hand. And - of course, thanks for the contributors. Oh My - such sharing! Take very good care!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Seth I am going to be broke real soon...whoops I already am.... I have a stamp that says "art does not pay":O)...I ordered three more books... they get me through the night when I am awake for too many numerous reasons that at times slows me down. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

deb said...

I love that so many people love Andy Goldsworthy, this week is Andy week in my 3D design class, I will be taking my students outside to play, so watch for pictures later this week!!

Beanie Mouse said...

I've got an inkling that Cornell's boxes inspired Tony Curtis to get into Box assemblages..... not 100% though, but I think it's the same guy! Interesting to see the image here!

Unknown said...

Great selections of books this week. Andy Goldsworth was new to me but I spent some very enjoyable time watching him work on You Tube! He reminds me of a Tibetan sand painter.

Suzanne said...

I love Joseph Cornell's work especially "Shadowplay Eterniday",
His boxes are inspirational to me. love your blog.
Suzanne

Poetic Artist said...

You know this is going to cost me money..LOL..Artist and books I do not know..Thank you, I think...:)
Take care.
Katelen

rivergardenstudio said...

So many artists I love here too, especially AndyGoldsworthy, (his videos are amazing) and Wolf Kahn. I love that you shared some of your own photographs of Rothco and the Cornell box. Thanks for all this inspiration... roxanne

Jingle said...

admirable art selections!

Robert said...

Thanks, Seth, for the great photo of the Cornell box from Sotheby's! When, as a teenager--many,many years ago, I first discovered his work and his somewhat oblique connection to the Surrealists, I was totally entranced! I find the way he uses color and texture, through the unique combinations of the materials that he chooses, to be particularly pleasing visually. Some have described his box constructions as "visual poems."
I was also delighted to see Andy Goldsworthy mentioned in today's installment of the Book Guild. When I was putting together my favorite book LIST for The Pulse, way back last fall, he didn't even register because I don't own any of his books. However, I DO own the film "Rivers and Tides: Working With Time," and would recommend it to anyone who is just getting acquainted with the artist. It is a stunningly beautiful look at both his work and his working methods, at a number of sites in various locations, all over the planet. It's a wonderful introduction to this incredibly imaginative, engaging, and amazingly prolific artist. Enjoy!

Diana Trout {Nan.DT@verizon.net} said...

Basquiet and Rothko are without a doubt 2 of my top 20. And Goldsworthy. LOVE
If you haven't seen the movie: Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child, you will love it. In fact, I think it might be time to watch it again.