Wednesday, September 2, 2015

I left my Cards in San Francisco

This past weekend, I had the pleasure to travel to northern California to teach 3 workshops. Before the main event I had a chance to spend a bit of time exploring the area. 




I spent two amazing days teaching at A Work of Heart in San Jose. Andrea Chebeleu, the owner, has created a truly magical environment that makes you want to sit down and create. 

On the first day, I taught one of my favorite workshops: 52 Card Pickup

These are the demo cards in progress I made during the class

And these are some of my wonderful students

Cards in progress from the crew



 The second class at A Work of Heart was Collage Camp

This workshop starts with the creation of a "manual" of pages that focuses on different principles of collage

Participants then goes on to creating larger collages with painted backgrounds. Here are some pieces in progress




 I was lucky enough to be able to teach 52 Card Pickup twice in the same weekend. The Sonoma County Book Arts Guild hosted this class held in Sebastopol, California. A big thank you to the host, Dena Bliss, who has created a very special community of artists.

Here are just a few of the decks in progress


Some of the crew after all 1,248 cards were complete




11 comments:

Heather said...

What wonderful images from both your trip, and your workshops! Maybe someday I'll have a chance to learn from you in person. Thanks for giving us a glimpse of the creative energy that was obviously flowing!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Great photos! LOVE the look of the place...I've not heard of it! LUCKY students!!!!

Sisterhood of the Muse said...

Beautiful part of the world inspired some beauiful work! :-) Interesting post.

john said...

I remember you telling me about the driving back and forth in the Bay area when you were here. I hope it wasn't to grueling. Sounds like you had a blast. I know the students had a great time...smiles on their faces! :-)

~*~Patty S said...

Perfect blog title Seth and what a lot of wonderful creativity you are sharing all around the globe.
That part of California is near and dear to my heart.
Tea at the Japanese Gardens in Golden Gate Park is always a treat and the de Young!
The drive up the coast is magical.
One of my favorite places on the planet.
Thanks for sharing.
oxo

Bill said...

Your 52 Card Pickup class is the one that I always think looks like so much fun. Everyone ends up with so many wildly mixed wonderful colors.

Jo Murray said...

A punishing schedule....but SO worthwhile. Lots of yumminess there.

rivergardenstudio said...

What a glorious trip this must have been for you Seth. The art that your students have created looks exquisite as well. And A Work of Heart is one of my favorite places!!! Thanks for sharing,
roxanne

connie said...

Thanks for a wonderful class Seth, I really enjoyed it and learned so much! Today, I spent the majority of my day collaging 40 more of my mini cards - it's been so much fun, addicting actually. Just six more to go and I'll have the deck completed! You're a wonderful teacher and I'm so glad to have the chance to have met you and learn your techniques.
Connie

Sharmon Davidson said...

Very cool work from all the participants! You must have had a blast!

Robyn Joi said...

I felt so free creating in this class. I havent enjoyed an afternoon so fun in a while. Seth you're a great teacher and artist and it was a pleasure to meet you. I'm still busily adding the collage to the rest of my cards. I just did a era today while riding in the car. Looking forward to my next opportunity to take another of your classes.