Monday, October 22, 2007

Mixed Media: roughcast

I have completed the pages for and binding of "half" of my mixed media book, now entitled Roughcast (meaning to make, shape, or prepare in a rough form). I say half because of the style of the binding. In one book I will be binding two sets of different size pages using a coil binding, with the hinge of the binding in different orientations for each set of pages. Does that even make sense? Maybe a picture will help (click to enlarge)...


As you can see, the first set of completed pages were coiled bound to the right side of a paper-covered book board with the binding at the top of the pages. That way the pages open upwards. In the next picture, the second set of not-yet-completed pages are on the left side of the paper-covered book board and once completed will be bound with the coil on the left. That way the pages on the left will open in the direction of a typical book. So with one book, two different set of pages will open at different orientations. Is it making sense yet?


The photos below are all the book pages completed so far. The fronts of each page have already been posted on this blog earlier. For more detail, see these previous posts and/or click on the photos below.









I will post photos of the pages from the second half of Roughcast as they are completed.

12 comments:

Bridgette Guerzon Mills said...

wow! I wish I could see this in person. Very cool construct.

Gillian McMurray said...

It makes a difference seeing them bound together. They are even more lovely. Love the imaginative way of binding them too. Can't wait to see the finished book.

Marilyn said...

Very cool - I love the shope of this journal/book. I want to see the other one combined with this one when you are finished.

azirca said...

It's looking fantastic, very creative.

Anonymous said...

oh my! love these pages! cool thing to have a book open two ways. can't wait to see it finished. your colors and textures are delicious!

Anonymous said...

Love your work Seth. I'd love to own a piece.

If you ever want to "swap" some art, let me know. :)

Sarah Whitmire
sarah@caspiana.com
www.caspiana.com
www.alphastamps.com

&rew said...

Love it! What a great variety of textures! &rew

Anonymous said...

Your altered book looks terrific! I like the images that you've created and the binding does make sense and adds another dimension to the book.

A COLLAGE A DAY said...

very nice work.
i enjoy these very much!

r.

.Trudi Sissons said...

Delicious! What inspiration you provide me with. I continue to admire your ability to place ephemera in a sparse, provocative manner.

carylsrealm said...

Amazing! This is fantastic!

Martin said...

Looks great!!