Sunday, July 6, 2008

Greece: Journal part 2







After I return home from travelling, I carry with me many memories of all parts of the experience. Perhaps most vivid of all are the memories of the people I have travelled with and those that I have met on the journey. For my trip to Greece I decided that I needed to find a way to capture these memories. I brought along sheets of handmade and watercolor paper that I had painted with acrylics, pigment inks, or walnut ink. I handed these sheets to the people I met on this trip and asked them to write whatever they wanted: a thought, a favorite saying, a memory, anything. I bound these sheets into the second half of the journal and have included some bits and pieces below. In this way, my new friends are now with me all the time.



















Thanks to all my blog readers who joined me on this adventure and a special thanks to those who commented on my posts about Greece. These "conversations" allowed me to feel almost as if I were still on vacation. Almost. Thanks also to Chris Miser, Lynne Hoppe, and Laura Pace, each of whom linked to some of my Greece posts on their own wonderful blogs.

14 comments:

azirca said...

That is such a neat idea Seth, lovely to think that you carry a little piece of your friends with you. I love the different mixes of handwriting and textured papers. Your travel journal is a work of art.

Kim said...

Oh wow, it looks fantastic! Could I get you to show the binding? Maybe even tell us how you did it? The inside looks terrific too, I enjoyed part 1, I am so glad to have found your blog, I will return often!

artisticdiva said...

This journal is one of the most wonderful I think I've seen! Wow! I'm curious how you constructed it. Obviously it's an old book cover, but how did you attached the pages?

I hope there is a Journal part 3! I can't wait to see it!

lynne h said...

seth, this has got me thinking about using different kinds of paper in my journals *so much*!! it's delicious seeing all of these surfaces, colors, and textures in your greece journal. thank you...

Karen Cole said...

Well....isn't this a brilliant idea!!!

When you go away, you certainly miss what's going on in blogland.

Your journal pages are wonderful. I have come away from all of your Greek posts with lots of new ideas and a stronger urge to visit Greece, for sure.

I always have been thankful that as a trained artist, I have been taught to see details in things. I must say though that, since I have been blogging I have an even greater appreciation for the world around me.

Thanks for the great travelog, Seth.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the inspiration, Seth. I actually started on my journal yesterday.14 years isn't too long, eh?!

Leslie said...

What a fantastic way to carry your new friends in your journal of the trip. This is a beautiful book, Seth!

Chris said...

Oh, aren't these pages fantastic? It's all fantastic!

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful way of sharing in both directions - and such a great - really GREAT idea - such sweetness to savor here...

xox - eb.

Judy said...

Great journal - love the cover and the texture of those papers is always a favourite with me.

Anonymous said...

Hi Seth,
what an awesome idea... I love seeing the different handwritings and imagining what sort of person wrote those words. The pages in the more recent post are SO interesting and rich with texture! As always, I am in awe of the art you make. Kathy

mcdc3s said...

What a treat this has been. Sorry I didn't meet you in Athens after all! heh heh
I think that was a perfect idea - having your friends add to the journal. Great thinking. I know you'll treasure this for a long, long time.

Mescrap said...

This is really a wonderful journal !! And I love Greece very much, and I still dream of to go there. But due to constraints in increase of fuel oil (I'm from long way of Malaysia). The air ticket is incredibly expensive.
I love seeing your beautiful art journal. I shall bring one like you if I have chance to visit GREECE.
Thanks for your details.

ute said...

Seth, what a wonderful idea, the journal is fantastic, I love it and will return often