Monday, April 13, 2009

The Art of the Woman




Details from three collages completed many years ago, all highlighting women.

Two exhibits are running in New York right now that focus on The Art of the Woman:


The first, at Sothebys is aptly entitled Women. This special exhibition highlights art depicting the women from the collection of Steven and Alexandra Cohen. Photography was not allowed but click here to see the varied work in this exhibition by such artists as Picasso, Van Gogh, Matisse, Rauschenberg, and Richter.




The Museum of Modern Art currently has a fascinating show entitled The Printed Picture. This wonderful exhibition highlights the changing technology of picture making from the Renaissance to the present. Ink printing, photography, book printing, and digital printing are all explored. It is much more exciting then it sounds here! For each form of printing process, three types of examples are presented: ephemera, museum collection art, and - my favorite - details from the artwork enlarged 50 times. What does this have to do with The Art of the Woman you might ask? See the details below...and click on the details to see details of the details!





And to leave you with a video once again...

17 comments:

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

The morphing of art never fails to amaze me; the video artist unites the heart of an artist from the past with a new artist dreaming to add their sacred mark making. "How do they know?" As a novice I guess I do not need to understand the How to appreciate the process. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen

Anonymous said...

What a video! Also really nice to have art on hand from years ago..you must have amassed quite a collection!

femminismo said...

I have seen the video before, but was still transfixed by the eyes and the sinuous moments of the womens necks and faces. And oh! The fingers - hand - to the mouth. That moment is so touching. Beautiful, Seth, and I printed out the large "details." Want to incorporated them somewhere. - Jeanne

3rdEyeMuse said...

oooh! I'm lovin the 50 times enlarged details quite a lot ... and that video is a treasure. :)

thanks for such a great nod to women.

Unknown said...

FAB video Wonderful. Those eyes!

Shirley Ende-Saxe said...

Wonderful video and I'm impressed by the enlargements, they acquire a different kind of impact lifted out of their original context. And I always enjoy seeing the larger imperfection of smaller (seemingly) perfection.

Gillian McMurray said...

Your collages are wonderful. I especially like the oriental one. great colours.

Serena said...

It was nice to step back in time and see your wonderful art from then. The japanese lady is just beautiful.
Great video post too- I was held enthralled by the all the facial features flowing into one another. Whoever put that together certainly knows their craft.. and art!

Anonymous said...

that was a fabulous video! i had to watch it twice.

i wish i didn't live on the other side of the country -- those exhibits sound fabulous and i would be there in a second if i could! those details are fabulous.

rivergardenstudio said...

I love your collages... the color in the first (reds!) and the thoughtfulness in the last especially I can't see the video until I get home... Have a beautifuf week! Roxanne

Debrina said...

That morphing video never ceases to amaze me! The women tribute is very touching and your collage work is impeccable as usual!! Hey, I saw the most amazing exhibition yesterday at the Sarjeant gallery, Wanganui, NZ. James Robinson, mixed media artist extroadinaire was exhibiting. I took some photos and they're on my blog. The colour combos are just so beautiful!!

Debrina said...

Yes, very lucky. We've just been invited 2 his studio - an old, cold shed that he lives and works in. Jason and I will visit and bring him some nice, warm, freshly baked scones. It's winter here (almost) and he is a poor, cold starving artist by the sounds of it, lol!

Chris said...

This is SO UBER COOL!!

I missed your blog! I'm going to go watch the video now!!

I LOVE those BIG WOMEN PICTURES you posted!

ooglebloops said...

The details are fascinating!!!I love the morphing videos - eerie yet beautiful. Wouldn't be interesting to do a morphing of oneself - from childhood to old age........

Lynn Cohen said...

Wow I am so impressed...this video is such a tribute to women and art and artists over the years. Amazing how they do this...Wow.

Wow.

Wow.


;-)

Diane said...

Oh, I loved MOMA when we visited NYC, and I want to go back. I actually have seen that video clip before and it is totally cool.
Love, love your oriental collage Seth!

~*~Patty S said...

HOW they do the morphing videos, really wonderful TFS
Your artwork is always fun to see, I like looking at older pieces of my own too.