Sunday, November 22, 2009

Secret Sunday 1

Do you want to know a secret?


Welcome to the fourth edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals.


Over 150 (!) artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented as a series of online and print projects. And the first begins right now!

Beginning today, join the The Altered Page every Sunday for "Secret Sunday." Here the secrets of all your favorite artists will be revealed. It could be a technique, a product, a secret source, a little-known website, a hidden shop, an inspiration, just about anything!

Today's secret.......techniques!
_______________

Alicia Caudle
Altered Bits
Altered Bits' Altered Blog
Digit 13's Altered Bits on Etsy

Many people who know me are aware of my huge allergies to all things chemical and/or unnatural. As such, I have come up with many unique ways to texture, rust, crackle, adhere and distress my projects in a non-toxic manner. For example, rather than using chemical patinas, a safe (but obviously slower) alternative is a vinegar, salt and water solution spritzed over the item(s) you wish to rust or patina. This is particularly beneficial when you place your items in a container of salt and vinegar potato chips. The results are generally a brilliant green, blue or red, depending upon the type of metal you are wishing to age.


I welcome anyone who wishes to find a non-toxic alternative to contact me if desired as I'll oftentimes be able to make a suitable suggestion.
_______________

Marianne
Marianne's Art Blog
Boise Trail Dog Blog

Elmer's caulk & apollo transparency transfers- for me, this technique provides the cleanest, clearest transfers to many surfaces- metal, glass, plexi, canvas, wood... email Marianne at dswissy@yahoo.com for more info on how to!


_______________

Ange
Signed by Ange

I love masking and even writing with drawing gum and 'writing' with narrow glass syringes (minus the needles), a technique made famous by Denise Lach. Using unconventional objects to write with is a favourite occupation.


Taking a gex sponge or fine steel wool and scrubbing out layers of paint to avoid using chemicals - particularly effective on wood and metal but NOT on paper...as I'm sure you can imagine!
_______________

Lynne Hoppe
heART & LIFE
Lynne Hoppe shop

I think that my favorite 'secret' these days is how well oil pastels and colored pencils work together. Between the two of them you can color everything from the tiniest parts of your drawings to the largest. You can combine colors from each, and blend them or not. They're very simple to use and hugely satisfying.


_______________

Don Madden
Fully Flummoxed

Roll a Selectric typewriter ball on a clay surface to make random letters.


_______________

Gillian McMurray
Gillian McMurray: Artist & Craftperson

When doing a detailed drawing with graphite, instead of starting to shade with the harder, lighter grades of pencil (H grades) working your way to the darker shades, start with the softer, darker shades (B grades) and work up to the lighter shades. That way you burnish the softer graphite into the surface of the paper with the harder grades. You can make darker shading and build depth with this method. This is ideal for shaded areas like the dark areas between undergrowth or the pupil of eyes.
_______________

Mary Hunt
Working Projects
Mary Hunt Studio on Etsy

When soldering with lead...touch the iron TO the foil as you solder...don't hover. The heat setting is the most important part of having smooth solderlines and the heat is also imperative to control when scultping with lead...be it leaded or lead free.


_______________

Jane Royal
Painted Heart Studio

Warm-up technique for watercolor painting: Take a large sheet of watercolor paper and mark off six 5" x 7" rectangles. Choose a 'subject' to paint. Paint the subject 6 times working quickly and altering your technique, colors, and approach each time. Do not think about it! Limit is 4 minutes per rectangle. The results don't matter b/c they are just a warm-up exercise (this takes the pressure off). It's a great way to discover new techniques, color schemes, etc.


_______________

Shirley Ende-Saxe
In the Name of Art
Ohio Collage Society News

Glazes, acrylic glazes, I love the way it layers, reveals and hides just a little.


_______________

Marie Dante
Cinnamon Studio

I use a good art magazine paper like Communication Arts in my printer. I print photos of my art work over text or whatever & have come up with images that look like transfers and some really surprising and serendipitous results.


_______________

**If you have left a comment on one of my previous posts asking to be a part of The Pulse and have not yet heard back from me, it is because I do not have your email address. Please email me directly so I can send you the information you need to participate. And if you have not yet commented and are now interested in being a part of The Pulse, it is not too late. You have until November 30 to join.

57 comments:

Ange said...

Seth, this is wonderful!! I have been looking for non chemical rust techniques (other than leaving things out in the rain for months ;-) and more on transfers. Wonderful... I'm honoured to be taking part! Take care all, Ange

Sharmon Davidson said...

Wow- these are awesome ideas! I can't wait to try some of them, and to read more next Sunday! Thanks so much, Seth, for the wonderful work you're doing with this project!

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

I love this post with all the artwork and artists you have shown. Thank you so much

Have a wonderful week

Carolyn ♥

Mary S. Hunt said...

these are TERRIFIC seth!!
i have bounced all over to each and every wonderful artisan
and
i am thrilled to have participated... :)

Julie Prichard said...

Well done, Seth! What a great post today. Thanks everyone for sharing too!

Lisa said...

What a wealth of information you are sharing. Thanks for bringing together the online art community through your innovative project Seth.

Chris said...

This is a great start! I enjoy all of these, and I was particularly tickled with Lynne's secret... I just this week realized this fabulous symbiosis of oil pastels and colored pencils. Love it. awesome how something seemingly simple can make you so happy.

Thanks for making these lessons accessible to us, Seth!

lyle baxter said...

seth, you are off to a great start! what a good thing to do an a sunday afternoon! read other peoples secrets! thanks, lyle

jill z said...

Secret Sunday is an artists paradise. What great "non-traditional ideas and techniques to showcase, learn about and try. Love this new sunday series- such a brilliant idea!

Bea said...

Seth these are great and I appreciate the time the artists took to communicate with you. I'm sorry that I missed the deadline, still recovering from a nasty flu.
:)Bea

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I learned so much today, I feel like I was at an artist retreat. I know the next few Sundays are going to be like waking up to Christmas morning. Thank you for not only sharing these wonderful techniques and secrets, but for also including the web sites or blogs where each artist can be located.

I have to admit, since I'm primarily a paper artist, I was delighted to see Don Madden's clay secret. Looks like I need to find an old typewriter!!

~*~Magpie's Nest said...

oooo wonderful secrets shared here, you all are off to a wonderful start!

over two hundred strong = WOWEE!!!

eb said...

love this!
secrets are
my secret joy...

xox - eb.

Nikki Lee Anne Ghilain said...

Seth, you have done it again!!! What a wonderful way to spend a Sunday!
Thank you and all the artist that have shared today.

BT said...

What fantastic 'secrets' these artists have given us. I am going to try some of them when I'm in my new studio.
Thank you artists - and Seth of course.

Unknown said...

Loved the start of Secret Sundays, Seth!
Each secret was an eye opener. Really liked Lynne's. Will have to try combining those more now!
Keep 'em coming. Love secrets!

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

this is great!

Anonymous said...

wow seth, this is so fantastic! i just read and reread the whole post three times. such fantastic secrets! i'm all giddy with anticipation for next week now. and thank you so very much for including my little tip! i have lots of rusting ideas now, and some of them (although natural) are quite quick -- especially with copper.

hope your sunday is divine!

Curio said...

So much interesting information and new blogs to check out. Thanks, Seth!

Debrina said...

This is very generous Seth of both you and the artists....
I am getting sucked in by the tremendous whirlwind of energy that seems to be passing me by...
perhaps you might get an email from me afterall...I might have to make time for this one before the deadline.
Expect an email...perhaps.

Barbara Kleinhans said...

Thanks Seth for putting together another round of the Pulse and for all the great "secrets" that each artist shared. I so look forward to more of this (and I'll be completing my answers very soon!)

lynne h said...

seth, i got so excited reading this i had to *make* myself sit still and keep reading! there are some things that i want to try NOW!

wonderful!!

Leslie said...

Your participants are offering so many wonderful secrets here. I'm taking notes.

Thank you for your always wonderful community-building projects!

*jean* said...

oo how wonderful of these artists to share! can't wait to try some of these techniques!!! thank you so much, seth, for putting this all together!!!

Candace said...

Fantastic. Can't wait to try some of these my own self. Thanks so so much to everyone plus yourself, Seth, for sharing.
Candace

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Great selection of secrets Seth and a good start to your Secret Sunday! Wonderful of you to give all the artists/secrets a place on your blog!

ZenDotStudio said...

Okay now I'm thinking about the inside of my stomach when I read about placing objects in salt & vinegar chips to get a green patina! Perhaps I better give up that junk food obsession.

But I do love these great tips for using materials in interesting ways. Thanks everyone for sharing and Seth for pulling it all together.

layers said...

Lots of neat new techniques to try-- have written several down-- can't wait til next Sunday!

azirca said...

I'm loving this already.

Unknown said...

Stunning! How am I going to get any work done today?

I'm coming to the end of the first stage of a big writing project and want to have a day off soon doing something completely different. So, I will clear the decks. Thanks for such a feast of a post.

Caterina Giglio said...

awesome Seth!

AnitaNH said...

You can bet that I'll be tuned in next Sunday morning for the second installment. Thank you and congratulations for an amazing project!

Kim Mailhot said...

Wow, wow wow ! Such great secrets ! Feels like we just got the answers revealed by the magicians at a magic show ! Thank you to all the artists for the thoughtful shaing and to Seth, the Master of Ceremonies at the show ! ;)

mansuetude said...

great ideas you come up with!

Leslie Avon Miller said...

Great thread - Nice to get new and great ideas! Thanks Seth!

Unknown said...

Great job Seth. I really appreciate the enormous effort on your part in putting this all together & am so happy to be a part of the first phase of this Pulse edition.
The responses are all so diverse....something for everyone here & the photos are great visuals for the creative techniques.
Happy Thanksgiving! (I'm grateful for Seth!)

Fran Meneley said...

Thanks, Seth. I loved learning about these techniques and "secrets" - a really great way to share info and learn about new bloggers. Fran

JoAnnA Pierotti said...

This really is brilliant and a wonderful opportunity to learn so many things. Thank you everyone for sharing and Seth, for your hard work. I'm so happy to be participating in this collaboration. I sent you all my info today.
:) JoAnnA

Lawendula said...

Great start! Very interesting secrets. Looking forward to see the others!

Thespa McLaughlin said...

These are some incredibly fabulous artists who present amazing ideas! Thanks so much for bringing them to all of us. Kudos!

Lisa Hoffman said...

Big Deal, I already do ALL of this.





Okay, no I don't.
Fabulous.....as usual.

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I am in a state of awe and appreciation of this first episode of delightful secrets this past Sunday! So many different avenues to explore ... how will you employ the photos I am planning on sending to you in the newest Pulse 4th edition? There is no hurry in your response so take a breath and enjoy the sun shining down on this accomplishment. This is a remarkable collaboration. I spent most of my day in bed until my head returned to somewhat normality. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Glenda-TwoCoolTexans said...

Oh my, I LOVE this technique.

jgr said...

Seth,
Thank you for putting all of this together! I am spending quality time on all of the blogs being amazed at the fine secrets being shared. This is great, I'm already looking forward to next Sunday.

Margaret said...

Cool idea Seth, I'm looking forward to the next instalment. M

Karin Bartimole said...

These are fantastic Seth!! I am inspired and love that i've already learned new things! Thank you so much for thinking of the questions you did, and doing all the leg (well, finger!) work necessary to share all this with us. Happy Thanksgiving to you, Karin

Lee Weber said...

Thank you for putting such amazing information, links, photos, etc. together. It has been quite an inspiration. I gave you a shout out on my blog. I can't wait until next Sunday.

catworx said...

Inspiration A++++++++++

I'm always happy to find non-petro chemical techniques.

I can't wait until next Sunday!

Whisperings 13 said...

I have been missing your posts (my own fault), and arrive to find.. this! WOW! spectacular tips!
And while I must humbly admit I am not worthy of such a commitment at this time, I wait excitedly for the next installment! Thanks so much for the share!
(and I am in LOVE with the handbook. brilliant!)
Blessings,
T

Marit said...

OH MY! Thanks "boys and girls" for revealing your secrets! Some very usefull and amazing and inspirational ideas came by...

Gwen Buchanan said...

Oh I so enjoyed this Seth.. such sharing souls... thank you all!!

rivergardenstudio said...

dear Seth... this is such an incredible project... I love reading all of these "secrets" and the photo's with them are wonderful to see... I hope you have a beautiful Thanksgiving... roxanne

sheilasab@sbcglobal.net said...

S--looks like we are finally coming together in becoming one big happy family of artists---"PaPa" Seth, i don't know how you come up with all your brillante ideas--who cares--just so they do materialize!!! let's hop on --help one another--this is a win win!!! i feel as though i am boarding the ark!!! major thanks to seth and thanks to all the participating artists sam

inge said...

Hello Seth,

thanks for starting up the "pulse".
It's great to read this secrets : some are nice to know , some are challenging to be tried out!

greetings from Belgium
Inge

John M. Mora said...

Remarkable assembly, my hat is off to you...just wonderful. Thanks for your kind words....

Gwen Buchanan said...

ps...Better late than never...
I just saw the link to the side for your interview on Ephemera... it was great...

and wonderful to see your smiling face!!

Kim Palmer said...

Wow Seth, a great crop of artists and ideas for the first secret sunday post! Lots to inspire one's creative juices here! Love the ideas for watercolour technique and soldering play! I'm soooo after a new soldering iron for xmas! Better go write Santa a quick email now I'm finally back online! Yay!