Sunday, January 24, 2010

Secret Sunday 10

Do you want to know a secret?


Welcome to the fourth edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals.


Over 150 (!) artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented as a series of online and print projects. And the first continues right now!

Join the The Altered Page every Sunday for "Secret Sunday." Here the secrets of all your favorite artists will be revealed. It could be a technique, a product, a secret source, a little-known website, a hidden shop, an inspiration, just about anything! If you missed any, no worries. You can find links to all the secrets on the sidebar of my blog.

Today's secret.......Road Trip!
_______________

Deryn Mentock
Blog: Something Sublime
Etsy: Something Sublime
Blog: Objects and Elements
Flickr: Deryn Mentock

A 6000 square foot warehouse, in Dallas, full of vintage beads, findings, stampings, buttons, clasps....you name it! If you don't live in Texas, Katy Schor has a website: Beads by Sandy

_______________

Marie Otero
Website: Marie Otero
Blog: Lost Aussie...on the Loose

The little Amish man's secondhand shop in Intercourse, PA - great for found object 'treasures' and ephemera of all kinds.

_______________

Nina Bagley
Blog: Ornamental

A source for mica:

Tar Heel Mica Company
4736 S Us Highway 19 E
Plumtree, NC 28664
828-765-4535

They don't seem to have a website, but do sell mica by the pound. Alllll sorts of mica. In times past, I was told to "ask for jude" when calling. He is the man.

_______________

Cory Celaya
Website: Art with Moxie
Blog: Art with Moxie
Etsy: Moxie Gallery

A little boutique called The Purple Lizard in Phoenix, Arizona and Timeless Creations in Fort Collins, Colorado (art classes and other fun stuff).

_______________

Lyle Baxter
Blog: Just a Note
Etsy: Almost Heaven
Website: Almost Heaven

First City and Country Antiques, a shop for photos and such in Absecon, New Jersey.
_______________

Nancy Neva Gagliano
Blog: Openings Connecting

My secret: I am so fortunate when I am able to spark the creative fires and to recapture the art spirit by entering into another place, away. Going to my most beloved Taos, New Mexico over the last 40 years always draws this spirit from me. In that light, by those mountains, surrounded by that air and sage and hearts that beat strong, I thrive.

BUT, when I've been a part of Sas Colby's Studio in the Sky week-long workshops at the Mabel Dodge Luhan House, I am transformed.


This will be my fifth! summer for this exceptional experience where I rest and I work, am alone and in the comfort of an incredible community of 14 or 15 seekers/speakers/makers of the soul, of art. We are in the care of a master teacher, and the best chefs!! alone and together, we each find our voice, our own secret. We're fed luscious meals, yes, but also poetry and varied instructions and invitations to actualize expression with whatever medium we chose.

The studio is open all night...I can work alone, or with others when ideas and materials are shared, friendships created and the flow goes forth. . . returning home with me.
______________

Kecia Deveney
Blog: Lemoncholy's Flight of Fancy

My art secret is going to flea markets. I like to work with vintage or discarded items. I consider it recycling; paying very little for this stuff (and sometimes it is free!). I find it a challenge to go home and turn it into something a little more modern and fresh. I've moved from making mixed media to jewelry with my vintage found objects.
_______________

Jen Crossley
Blog: A Mark in Time

I love the search for Junk. It is so cool when you find that piece that gives you a buzz or the wow factor. Swap meets are the best places or a small antique shop, Smythesdale Antiques, near where I live. She has cool stuff and is cheap.


There is always something to be found. I never come out of there without buying something.
_______________

Robert Stockton
Artist Portfolio: Robert Stockton

The people who run a place called Fun Junk at 3644 Mud Bay Road, Olympia, Washington (they also occasionally bring some of their fun junk to sell in Seattle, making it more accessible to those of us who don’t make it to Olympia that often!). Fun Junk, as mentioned above, in Olympia, is open 10 AM to 6 PM on Fridays and Saturdays, only. They sell a multitude of interesting ephemera, including, a variety of paper products.


They have a website on which they sell SOME of their cool stuff: Fun Junk Online. They may also be contacted at redun@comcast.net or called at (360) 259 1796. You can also follow the Fun Junk blog called Nancy's Fun Junk. Great stuff!
_______________

21 comments:

Lawendula said...

Again usefull tips (not for me of course, sitting in good old Europe), but I like the way you have this all sorted. Great pictures, not too long texts.
btw: I would love to visit an Amish shop. The best is: I can speak in my own language there! :)
No, just kidding, I think it's an interesting lifestyle (although it's patriarchy as its worst), plain living, we all need that.

ArtPropelled said...

Roadtrips always get the creative juices flowing! Junking and retreats are the best. Love the sound of Neva's retreat.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm loving the different topics you share each week. It must have taken you forever to categorize them all. You are truly to be commended for this effort that has me counting the moments till Sunday. As usual, this one was stellar.

Unknown said...

I'm thinking of how sometimes, just hitting the road and setting off somewhere can get ideas sparking, even before we reach the destination. I'm ready to move into the retreat house straightaway!

nancy neva gagliano said...

as you can tell, annie and robyn, the "retreats" are addictive...others are offered there as well.

Lisa said...

Some great resources here! Intercourse PA is on my radar now as I travel through that area frequently and the junking opportunites are abundant! Thanks again Seth for all the work you've put into these exceptional posts!

theresa martin said...

another great round of tips and web sites to visit. wouldn't it be fun to hit the road and visit all these places too. thanks all.

Renee Howell said...

internet secret sharing!

Loving it!

ps pirro said...

Makes me want to put on my traveling shoes. Another great Secret Sunday.

sf said...

O! mini glitters @Fun Junk!
O! deco glass from Sandy!
I sing the art piece electric!
I sing the embellishments sparkling!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

You have done it again...road trips shake us all up with a child's anticipation to seek and find the treasures many people might totally overlook and even...gasp...throw away. This pulse has inspired so many more than those who do respond in the comment section.

I have tried to get quality photos of my disco project but alas my little camera can only do what it can do. I was given a wee bit of money for shopping for a new camera but tonight I picked up my prescriptions and the total really hit me hard...$197.00 and I have insurance and this was only four out of fourteen of my daily required meds to try to keep lupus in remission..a constant balancing act to say the least. I am writing about my lessons learned from this risk of collaborating with 150 other artists. I am sorry I cannot give you what you need and more but Cloth,Paper and Scissors is a publication that gives others struggling to find their way in making their sacred marks visible. Thank you for everything you are creating and giving back in this Pulse project! Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Julie Prichard said...

Something tells me that you can publish an entire zine filled with only shopping hot spots.. This looks like a great collection.

Happy 10th Secret Sunday anniversary!

Sharmon Davidson said...

Another wonderful set of secrets, Seth! Thanks to all the artists who shared them, and thanks to you for all your hard work in organizing and presenting them so beautifully!

Rebeca Trevino said...

WOW! I want to get in the car today, and start my road trip.

layers said...

This is great--tips on where to find the junk we love-- I was especially thrilled to find a place in my state-- I wrote down all the information. thanks once again!

nancy neva gagliano said...

hmmmmmmmmm, it'd be a great idea to forget flying and do a road trip back to taos, the best of all worlds,...like my "good ole days"..

Unknown said...

Oh for a good road trip with quaint shops and good junk!
I have really enjoyed the Sunday Secrets and the photos have been terrific. Lots of generous artists out there.

jill Zaheer said...

Oh, did you say that secret sunday also comes with field trips that you're sponsoring? I'm sure I read that somewhere. You name the place and time and we will all be there! :) Another wonderful post on wonderful and secret places to find treasures!

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

ooo the words "road trip" make me feel like a puppy hearing the leash jingle ;)... ready to GO

the unfolding of Secret Sundays continues to be sheer and pure delight Seth

Mega/Metta thanks to all!!!
oxo

Marit said...

If only I had like a million bucks... I flew around the world (compansating my flight by planting trees of course...) and visited all these "secret places" ... but hey, beeing in the Netherlands, I have a few of my own. I can reach them by bike... but thanks for the sharing again!!!

Jacky said...

Loving all these tidbits of information....now I want to take a trip to Taos and partake in a week long workshop!!!
I think more likely I will visit the little antique store that Jen Crossley mentions (thanks Jen).

Wonderful Sundays!

Jacky xox