Sunday, January 10, 2010

Secret Sunday 8

Do you want to know a secret?


Welcome to the fourth edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals.


Over 150 (!) artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented as a series of online and print projects. And the first continues right now!

Join the The Altered Page every Sunday for "Secret Sunday." Here the secrets of all your favorite artists will be revealed. It could be a technique, a product, a secret source, a little-known website, a hidden shop, an inspiration, just about anything! If you missed any, no worries. You can find links to all the secrets on the sidebar of my blog.

Today's secret.......Inspiration!
_______________

Joanna Olson
Blog: Joanna's Blog
Website: Joanna Olson

Not really a secret but the source of inspiration that I get is from the feeling of being blessed by the generosity of friends and acquaintances who have thought of me by "gifting" me with art tools and materials.

An elderly gentleman who was a constant coffee partner at the local café was alerted by someone in his building that the family of an elderly woman who was being placed in a chronic care facility was cleaning out her apartment and literally throwing away her art supplies. Hundreds of dollars of untouched and still wrapped Arches watercolor paper ended up in the trash. He rescued these and gave them to me only vaguely aware of their value. A neighbor who is a jewellery appraiser was moving and gave me his jewellers bench. A friend and coworker of my husbands who re-builds airplanes had bought out the contents of his neighbors garage. Knowing I would have loved to own a rolling mill, he searched through the contents of his acquisitions and quietly left one in my garage as a surprise. The cousin of a friend recently passed away from cancer and although I barely knew her, she bequeathed to me all her art supplies and how she loved her
art supplies! I will never need to buy brushes again.

I can go into my studio now and feel the freedom to experiment with the abundance of materials I have to work with. To be freed of the reluctance to try and fail and waste is a gift. It has humbled me and at the same time given me confidence...and I will remember the power behind these gifts and try to do the same...
_______________

Terry Rafferty
Blog: Terry Rafferty

My idea board which changes constantly, but always has things from my family and friends to remind me how good life is.



The poem by e.e. cummings was embroidered for me almost 40 years ago by my sister and has hung in every home I've had. (and the gorgeous girl is my daughter.)
_______________

Rosie Kearton
Blog: Ruminations, Rambles, Reflexions

RUST and the discovery of the old and abandoned Brick Works on the north coast of Anglesey in the UK – the place is only really known to locals and as a natural site for inspiration it is truly wonderful.



Rust itself as so many possibilities for photographs and for using as a drawing material. Found rust objects are great for art works.
_______________

Jean Zoss
Blog: Bluebirds Living in the Meadow
Etsy: Bluebird Meadow

I have always had a large piece of old coffee table glass covering my desk area. Rather than use an inspiration board, I have always slid cards and bits under the desk glass.



My latest glass collection is of my own images, created over the last year, for the various art challenges on-line. Because my desk is in front of a 6 ft. window, the reflection of the sky and apple tree outside create an interesting effect.
_______________

Lisa Renner
Website: Lisa Renner

Where I live, we have a wonderful little downtown square: quaint, and filled with antique shops, boutiques, small restaurants, etc. I enjoy walking around the square and going into the shops, possibly finding just the right little "rusty spring", fabric remnant, or vintage book, that might inspire a new project or workshop.
_______________

Judith Stadler
Blog: ARTISTICANEUM

For inspiration and ideas: Never leave the house without a camera and keep your eye peeled for "treasure."


_______________

Peggy Pirro
Website: Out of Hand Art

I don’t know if this is so much a secret as it is something we (or at least I) sometimes forget: to get out of our studios and out of our heads and spend time with other artists on a regular basis. There is something so energizing and rejuvenating about being among other creative people, and I believe our art suffers if we’re so busy or shy or focused on our own stuff that we don't open the door to other people and their amazing, inspiring, and so-different-from-our-own creative works.


_______________

Paula Bogdan
Blog: Little Scraps of Magic

Go look at some kids’ art! It vibrates with energy and color. Kids don’t know all the “art rules” so they pretty much cheerfully break them all and the result is wonderful! I’m lucky enough to teach in a K-8 school, and I’ve been known to wander the halls and just look at what’s up on the walls…and take pics for later inspiration.



I’ve never met a piece of a child’s art that doesn’t fail to inspire and just make me smile!
_______________

Terry Berg
Blog: artwhispers

Inspiration by walking the nearby beach on Puget Sound in Seattle, listening to the waves, fresh air, collecting beach glass, rusty metal, papers, etc.


_______________

Debra Eck
Website: Debra Eck
Blog: Dryadart's Weblog

When I'm stuck in the studio and often times just to get warmed up I make one of these, how apt, an altered page... they work like little meditations, its just me and the page and no intention, talking to each other.



I find them addictive and very relaxing, and other people seem to enjoy the end result which is a plus!!
_______________

27 comments:

Jo Archer said...

Lovely to hear of other's inspiration. I agree with Peggy, that being in contact with other artists and being receptive to all forms of art, is incredibly inspiring and encouraging.

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

I love to hear what inspires other artists. I find I am sometimes overwhelmed by the inspiration around me in my little world: I'm constantly inspired by nature's finds, treasures from hedgerow, woodland and beach, shapes of nature, colours and tones of nature, decompostion in nature, rust, elements of weather and the work and muse of other artists. Narrowing it down some times is very hard!

I enjoyed your post today
Thank you :o)

Carolyn Saxby

Rainey J. Dillon said...

Jo always reminds me on a Sunday morning to drop by here & it's becoming ritualistic at this stage...you know..coffee toast and settle in to read up on other artists' thoughts & musings.Yep indeedy never leave the house without the camera less you might kick yourself!-I have bruises!Other creatives always give me the boost I need to go on as art is a contagious wonder.
great post

BadPenny said...

This is so interesting thank you ! and thank you for popping buy to see my bundles which are currently shivvering in the snow !!!

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

It was very interesting to see how other artists (beside me) find rust inspiring. I love the look of buildings, metal, wood and paint in a state of decay. There is so much to see, to pick up on color-wise and to absorb from pattern.
These things are hidden gems if we take the time to look and be inspired by them.

Anne

Gaby Bee said...

Your Secret Sunday is a cool thing! Very inspiring indeed. Thank you so much for sharing all of this gorgeous art and for introducing me to wonderful new artists!

ArtPropelled said...

Knowledge and inspiration every Sunday. It's become a habit ..... I wonder what we are going to replace it with when Secret Sunday comes to an end? Maybe it could become a regular feature.

Lawendula said...

Three of my paper swap followers are in on this post, lovely to see, gives me that tribe feeling again.
Greetings from the blizzard! Can't leave the house anymore. ;) But I'm fine with tea and art.

MrCachet said...

Once again, some really great artists to look in on and inspire. Thanks for sponsoring, as usual!

Artsnark said...

fantastic suggestions - always a pleasure visiting here each week

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I couldn't wait to get here this morning after I saw you had posted. Sundays are so much fun for me, taking me places I would never find on my own, learning from others what I could never discover on my own, and sharing with others who I would never have found, had you not be here. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

Of course the rust was enjoyable. Gotta have rust. Also, gotta have friends to share and collaborate with. Nice combination of secrets today.

Commuter's Journal said...

Nothing inspires like inspiration. Another wonderful Secret Sunday, Seth! Popping over here every Sunday is getting to be a delightful habit.

-- JeriAnn

ECLECTICMIXUP said...

Wow what a fab post, wonderful artist. Just found this through Artsnark, thanks Artsnark. This is very inspiring! I too enjoy the feature on rust. Thank you for sharing and introducing me to other artist's.

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Once again I need to express my gratitude for putting 150 artists together in a universal conversation of small secrets and inspirations. I am inside today looking out into bright sunlit snowfalls and watching the fluffiest of yearling does eat my ivy under the snow. I could almost reach out and touch their soft fluff and their peaceful brown eyes show no fear living so close to mankind. This community of spirits you have created feeds us all when we might have an inkling of self doubt moving in.

Last night I had a dream I was living in a very small apartment without large windows... and I was in New York city. My whole "tiny" space was consumed with art materials and works covered the walls with only a small twin size bed in a corner of the room. Interesting ...for me but I do think it was under your totally different environment that you create your sacred marks.
Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Whisperings 13 said...

Such a much needed post during these cold NE weeks! Inspriation is hard to come by when it gets cold- not sure why yet. :o) I have to agree on the rust and the camera! oh- and don't forget to add "stopping by the Altered Page" now and again for an instant dose!
Happy New Year Seth!
~Tracey

jill Zaheer said...

I loved reading this week's secret "inspiration" post. Just reading it is inspiring, as are the comments. Rust seems to be a winner today, with "keeping your camera by your side" a close second. But, I'm thinking about one's access to art supplies and the relationship to inspiration by the feeling you can explore and experiment without constraint by lack of materials. Connecting with other artists is also a joy- inspiring and so motivating by picking up great helpful tips, thoughts and such an abundance of exciting spirit that's being shared.

Roberta said...

I am always inspired when I wander through your blog posts, Seth! Loving your Secret Sundays, and learning an awful lot about how other artists are inspired too...photography and rust...two of my favorites :-)
Thanks for sharing the interviews!

ps pirro said...

I have to agree with Roberta: the Altered Page has provided me with so much inspiration these past several years. Thank you for including me in this week's Secret Sunday. I'm in such amazing company, and your readers are incredibly supportive.

Leslie said...

Always inspiring, Seth! Thanks!

inge said...

Hello Seth,

thanks for sharing these inspirations ! All different, but precious.

greetings from belgium
Inge

Marit said...

Seeing those photo's of beaches and rust... aaaahhh, makes me long for my hometown again! Inspiration is everywhere tho... this post shows it again! Thanks to all of you for sharing the secrets! (BTW, the greatest secret of all must be: "visit Seth's blog" - and I saw you mentioned on another "scrap blog" too! Our worlds start to mix and I love it!)

Unknown said...

Thanks Seth - I look forward to Sundays and Secrets!

Lisa Hoffman said...

Like sitting around in your living room talking to friends.
Love the way that artists can be so generous with their "secrets".
Leave it to you, Seth, to create the space!

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

Another wonderful Sunday read, no matter what day of the week I read it!
Debra's last line says what I feel about Secret Sunday's here:
"I find them addictive and very relaxing, and other people seem to enjoy the end result which is a plus!!" Fits perfectly!!!
I just had the thought that this may end eventually ... oh NO, I won't go there!
Many Thanks to all for sharing and inspiring again and again!
oxo

deb said...

Oh my life has been insane-er than usual lately, how nice to come here and find a zen moment and then surprise, there is my little scribble at the very end! As always many thanks to you Seth for creating this family here.

Gwen Buchanan said...

wonderful inspirations Seth, thank you.

Unknown said...

Lots of inspiration here, some new faces to explore...