Sunday, February 14, 2010

Secret Sunday 13

Do you want to know a secret?


Welcome to the fourth edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals.


Over 150 (!) artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented as a series of online and print projects. And the first continues right now!

Join the The Altered Page every Sunday for "Secret Sunday." Here the secrets of all your favorite artists will be revealed. It could be a technique, a product, a secret source, a little-known website, a hidden shop, an inspiration, just about anything! If you missed any, no worries. You can find links to all the secrets on the sidebar of my blog.

Today's secret.......Link Love!
_______________

azirca
Blog: Speak Without my Voice

I adore Mike Rivamonte's work. He cleverly assembles whimsical robot type sculptures by recycling old scientific instruments, mechanical devices and discarded vintage objects. Each piece that he constructs has it's own uniqueness and charm.
_______________

Jill Zaheer
Blog: JazWorks

The New York Public Library has a digital art library filled with 700,000 free art images.

_______________

William J. Charlebois
Art Gallery: WJC's Art and Stuff
Blog: Billizetti's World

I hope other digital artists don't cringe when they read this. I get a lot of my inspiration from elements found in digital scrapbooking kits. A woman named Christine Honsinger designs for Scrap Artist. She creates a lot of characters with wings as well as all kinds of wildly colorful objects. I love using a couple of her elements and then creating a whole digital collage inspired by them. I often write poems to use in my collages.

_______________

JaPRA
Blog: Just a Plane Ride Away
Blog: Where I Talk About Art

Online classes! I love learning new things, and because I live in Europe now, it makes it a little hard to attend all of those lovely workshops in the States. I see many of my favourite artists are thinking about launching online classes in 2010. All I can say is: Woo hoo! And thank you :-)

_______________

JeriAnn Geller
Blog: Commuters Journal

John Neal booksellers for book binding and calligraphy supplies and books on Celtic, Hebrew, Arabic or any English hand. It’s also THE place for the magnificent publications Letter Arts Review and Bound & Lettered.

_______________

Kathryn Antyr
Blog: True North Arts
Blog: Collage Diva

The Flora Bella Collection
My latest experiments with my photography have been enhanced using textures and overlays from The Flora Bella Collection. Looking for a dreamy effect? These textures make it super easy.


_______________

Steph Brouwers
Blog: vLaDtHeBaT’s aTTiC

I am crazy about beads and ethnic jewelry. So I want to share with you a little known website: Halter Ethnic Jewelry. The owner is Belgian, he has a tiny shop in Brussels. The pieces on sale are museum quality.
_______________

Shona Cole
Blog: An Artful Life

I was having trouble photographing the pieces I made until I discovered this simple and cheap way of making a light box out of cardboard. The directions can be found here.
_______________

Seth Apter
Blog: The Altered Page
Etsy: The Altered Page

A free and simple-to-use online photography program is FotoFlexer. It allows you to do many image manipulations simply, including adding text, borders, and (my favorite) quickly resizing your images for your blog sidebar and posts.

_______________

17 comments:

Jude said...

Thanks for the tip on Fotoflexer. I'm going to investigate. I use PhotoShop on my primary laptop, but I got a netbook, which I use when away from home. Problem is, it doesn't have the power for PhotoShop. So what to do when I'm on the road? Maybe Fotoflexer is the answer...

TBM said...

What interesting tips, many thanks to you all! Secret Sunday is a wonderful way to start the day. It goes well with a strong cup of coffee and a stroopwafel ;-)

Groetjes from Den Haag!

This Artist's Place said...

Always something interesting and useful to be discovered on Secret Sundays.

Really enjoy it.

Lisa said...

Another post filled with great ideas. Thanks for the link to Fotoflexer. I'd love to find a simpler alternative to photoshop.

theresa martin said...

thanks for another great round of tips. varied and interesting - i enjoyed them very much.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am in love with Fotoflexer. What an amazing link. I use Photoshop, but you have to be far more accurate when cutting than with this program.

I also loved Mike Rivemonte's art and would like to thank Azirca for supplying the link.

This is my favorite spot to hang out on Sunday. I learn so much each week. Thanks for making it so enjoyable here.

*jean* said...

great post!! thanks for sharing! i especially love the fotoflexer and the florabella links!

Jill Zaheer said...

Great post for a secret sunday valentine's day treat. So happy to be a part of this wonderful grouping. Looking through all of the great links now! Wanted to mention that for the new york public library's digital collection, each image comes with a detailed description, history, and all identifying info. For the card on your post, here is the info.
Image Title: To my Valentine.
Specific Material Type: photomechanical_prints
Item Physical Description: 1 postcard : col., embossed ; 14 x 8.9 cm.
Notes: Gold metallic accents.
Source: Holiday postcards / Valentine's Day
Source Description: 89 postcards : col. ; 9 x 14 cm.
Location: Mid-Manhattan Library / Picture Collection
Digital ID: 1588478
Record ID: 1065905
Digital Item Published: 10-3-2007; updated 4-17-2009

Unknown said...

thanks again - It was a well times secret on how to make the light box. Now I have to get to it. enjoy!

donna joy said...

great stuff as usual! just played a bit w/fotoflex-thanks. now to check out the rest!

Unknown said...

Wow...soooo much great stuff today,

I will be spending a few hours playing with the FotoFlexer,

thanks for that :)

happy Valentine's DAy!

Daniella said...

So many fabulous ideas!!
I am so excited to finally get here on Sunday, to see all of these great artists and ideas!!

I am taking Marit's art journal class right now. It really is great learning on line. this is my first try, and I believe I will definately try more!!

Commuter's Journal said...

I'm working my way through all these great links. What fun! Thanks for another scintillating Secret Sunday, Seth! -- JeriAnn

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I am in awe with how much I have to learn in this lifetime....with your help and the generous contributing artist I will peddle as fast as I can. I met Marc Cohn tonight and his wonderful melodic narratives...I am tired and have to do my injections tonight but I am so Jazzed from live music in our small intimate theater. happy Valentines Day!!! I will try to use some of these new photographic techniques...I often have an idea but no clue how to get to my destination. I do learn a lot along the way but with everyone helping I may be on my way! Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

layers said...

once again there are some wonderful links and ideas here-- I am definitely going to check out Fotoflexer

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

another wonderful array of interesting and helpful bits!
many thanks to all for sharing!
oxo
p.s. I'm going to give FotoFlexer a try ... I keep waiting to find out I am NOT photo manipulation challenged afterall :)

Leslie Avon Miller said...

Thanks again Seth - I'm off to explore!