Sunday, March 14, 2010

Secret Sunday 17

Do you want to know a secret?


Welcome to the fourth edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals.


Over 150 (!) artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented as a series of online and print projects. And the first continues right now!

Join the The Altered Page every Sunday for "Secret Sunday." Here the secrets of all your favorite artists will be revealed. It could be a technique, a product, a secret source, a little-known website, a hidden shop, an inspiration, just about anything! If you missed any, no worries. You can find links to all the secrets on the sidebar of my blog.

Today's secret.......Melange!
_______________

Linda Moran
Website: The Art of Fabric
Blog: Marbled Musings

I absolutely love everything about marbling – it is incredibly addictive, and it doesn’t get old, even after 16 years of marbling. There are several patterns I am trying, and I would really like to be able to create flowers the way ebru artists do.

_______________

Lise Hofmann
Blog: Bohemian Caravan

Mom always told me I should not peel apples or pears because it contains lots of healthy things. When I have to, I save their skin, roll them into cinnamon and sugar and put them in the oven for at least 15 minutes at low temperature. Simple and healthy snacking for breaks!

_______________

Jill Zaheer
Blog: JazWorks

THE BOOK CELLAR:
Down in the cellar of The Webster Library in New York City, volunteers have assembled thousand and thousands and books, records, postcards and other fun items, as well as racks of videos, tables with postcards, CDs, tapes and ephemera.


They receive donations every day, which are put on the shelves for your browsing pleasure. Categories include rare first editions, autographed books, Judaica, art books, entertainment, mysteries, romance and much more.
_______________

Roben-Marie Smith
Blog: Every Life has a Story
Website: Paperbag Studios
Digichick: Roben-Marie Designs

The lazy susan is perfect for organizing things like paints, inks, glues, etc. on your art table. Just give it a gentle spin and grab what you need! :)


_______________

Curio (AKA: Sonia Simard)
Blog: atelier Curio studio

It may not be apparent because a lot of my work seems pretty serious or dark, but I also paint childrens murals; knick-knacks for my in-laws; I seem to be attracted to all types of puzzles;


and I've been known to paint the occasional scenery...There I've said it!
_______________

Jonna Barnett
Blog: Just Jonna

Hum! Art secret. I’m not sure I have anything that really qualifies as an art secret. But now that I think about it I guess I do have an art secret... My friend Cindy. She considers herself un-artistic but her artistic ability is organization and finding the most amazing items imaginable. She just returned from Florida and one of the items she found for me was a small alligator paw with claws. Just the perfect size for a doll or maybe an alien? She has gifted me with many wonderful things over the years that have found a place in my artwork. So I’d have to say Cindy is my art secret.
_______________

David Castle
Blog: David Castle Art
Website: David Castle
Facebook: David Castle

Elements of Dynamic Symmetry” by Jay Hambidge. My abstracts have essential basis in the mathematics that Jay Hambidge developed based on dynamic symmetry found in nature (such as the seed pattern in a sunflower). I use the math to create the size, shape and exact measurements of some of my elemental rectangles and squares.


“Elementals No. 18”, watercolor mounted on canvas. Shape dimensions calculated using principles of Dynamic Symmetry.
_______________

Rebecca Trevino
Blog: Rebeca Trevino
Website: Rebeca Trevino

I am inspired by everything around me. My art involves "hunting and gathering" and I am always on the lookout for "stuff", when I travel, when I walk, when I am waiting at my doctors office or waiting for my car to get serviced, I always find usable art "stuff", it's everywhere.


Another secret is hanging out with other artists and exchanging ideas.
_______________

11 comments:

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I do really look forward to Secret Sundays ... so when I work late on my computer on Saturday night I keep checking until your post is "Up and Away". You never fail to amaze me...if I did not have to sleep and still could see...and have enough time to get things done... I would be bionic! I will have to look dynamic symmetry...with the natural flow in my ferns I am always inspired by fiddles as they unfurl. We as artists can not help ourselves..we gather "stuff". Yet I am not too sure I would know how to handle an alligator paw :o) ..my girls always wanted the small stuffed alligator heads when we were in South Carolina. I have a lazy susan but I need a larger one, love old book stores and cellars, plan on toasting cinnamon spiced apple skins tomorrow and I have marbling materials ready to rediscover when the weather is warmer and I can work out in the garage...my messy place to play! Thank you for another Secret Explosion of ideas...Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

We only have one computer and Ken works during the day with his classes so I work at night...late into the night lately.

Unknown said...

Great compilation of secrets as always, I LOVE the lazy susan idea!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

You do know there aren't enough hours in the week to devote to visiting all these fabulous folks? I find visiting is taking the place of doing and that leaves me frazzled but chock full of eye candy and ideas. Many thanks...I think -smile-.
I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Leslie Avon Miller said...

Such rich information here at your blog as always Seth. Thank you for all you do for the art blogging community!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

More sites to explore and more secrets to digest. I really love the idea of the lazy susan. I have one, but it's two tiered and not terribly functional. Again, thanks for making my Sunday loaded with color and inspiration.

Bea said...

Great tips today, thanks again Seth for pulling all these wonderful artists together to share.
I have three lazy-susans in the studio. That's a wonderful tip. Very handy. And, ooooooooh, that trip down to the basement of the library....wish I lived closer. :)Bea

Caroline Gill said...

What a great selection. Linda's marbling looks amazing. I have done very basic marbling, but this is of a different order.

Incidentally, THANK YOU, Seth, for your kindness in visiting and voting for my puffin poem. Much appreciated.

I have used diluted instant coffee 'grounds' to good effect as a 'vintage' backdrop to a scrapbooking page about my ancetors. Coffee is so versatile!

jill z said...

Great secrets shared- and just love the thought of spending time with other artists. Wonderful and unique items to read about. Thanks for another great sunday post!

Rebeca Trevino said...

I so enjoy reading Secret Sunday. Each week I walk away with so many new ideas to try.
Seth, I hope you will put all of these great ideas into a book at some point?
See you all next week

Anonymous said...

great secrets -- thank you!

i really, really want to go to the book cellar!!

Anonymous said...

What an inspiring post. I am a professional writer who's just begun the art journey a couple of years ago, and I am learning so much from all of these talented artists. I am heading up to my studio today to get organized and start working again. I've spend most of my winter writing -- and need to reconnect with my "visual" side.