Sunday, February 27, 2011

Collectors Edition: Chapter 9


Welcome to the fourth edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. Nearly 150 artists have answered a list of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented as a series of online and print projects. Links to the first four projects (Secret Sunday, The Book Guild, StudioScapes, Viewer's Choice) can be found on the sidebar of my blog.



Collectors Edition is the fifth installment in which your favorite artists share their favorite collection or obsession.
_______________



My latest obsession is fabric napkins! I scour the clearance section of stores like Pier One for beautiful napkins that I will cut and stitch into something totally different.
_______________



Pewter
_______________



I’m currently obsessed with organizing my stuff. I took over a small closet that had once been used as a mini computer office, and made my own studio there instead. So, I’ve been buying all kinds of bins and things to put everything into some kind of order – and close at hand. I viewed Teesha Moore’s online how-to videos on journal-making (on her blog) and got inspired to reorganize my markers and pens by color (and not by type), as seen in this photo. I put them in square glass candle/flower holders from the dollar store, and I love being able to reach for any color.
_______________



My current obsession is playing with texture.
_______________



Since I have always enjoyed collecting things and a person only has so much room, I have started to use these things in my art - thus giving me the added benefit of having a reason to stop at every garage sale and thrift store I come upon. Garage sales and thrift stores are really my "art stores.: It is a much "greener" approach to making art. Instead of buying new, you are buying things that might otherwise end up in the landfill.
 _______________

Lisa Jurist


My nest collection.
_______________

Ro Bruhn


Hand made jewelry.
_______________

Kelly Kilmer


Decorative tape.
_______________

Judith Stadler


My treasure chest of rust.
_______________

Sarah Fishburn


Books.
_______________

Next Collectors Edition Post - 3/6/11

16 comments:

jill zaheer said...

What a great sight for collectors' eyes! Another wonderful treat to start my sunday morning and always a treasure chest of fascinating photos to feast on! Thanks again for this special collector's edition!

Kelly Kilmer said...

Thanks, Seth!
Though I collect ribbons of TAPE much more so than ribbons of fabric strips. ;)

notmassproduced said...

great collections. glad i'm not alone collecting the weird and the wonderful!

Ro Bruhn said...

Thanks Seth, you're doing a wonderful job as usual, there are some great collections here. I think I could create a book about the collection of stuff in my studio.

lyle baxter said...

What will all us Sunday morning lazabouts do when you run out of "collections" it is such fun to see other peoples treasures. thanks, lyle

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

What a great way to spend the morning and coffee---shared with other artists collections!
Thanks Seth--these are always interesting and visually delightful.

XXOO~~
Anne

Lynn Cohen said...

Always fun to see, get ideas and inspiration here!

Lisa said...

thanks Seth.. a wonderful varied photo collection of colors and textures!

Jacky said...

I so enjoy seeing other peoples collections and visit their blogs to see what they 'do' with their collections.

Jacky xox

Robert said...

Again, a delightful (and varied), group of collections! This Sunday, I especially enjoyed Roben-Marie's collection, and use, of fabric napkins; Donna's explorations of the use of texture; Pam's realization that using the things that she collects in her artwork actually makes them more interesting, because it "showcases" them (and also helps avoid the "too precious to use" object syndrome that many artist/collector's--myself included--can, often, develop with some items!); and Lisa's lovely, and beautifully photographed, collection of nests. Another great Sunday of inspiration, Seth. Many thanks!

Diana Trout {Nan.DT@verizon.net} said...

A visual feast awaits on Sundays! Thanks Seth.

ooglebloops said...

Lisa Jurist and Sarah Fishburn - we need to talk- LOL same collections here!!! And, thrift stores and garage sales are the best art supply stores!!!

sf said...

I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours!!

Bill said...

It's impossible to say which collection I love best. I love the Frida shrine. One can never have enough nests, and any good collector knows rust is where it's at!

Unknown said...

Thanks for including me, Seth! It's an honor to be part of your wonderful blog. Keep up all the great work you do here and everywhere! Leslie

Anonymous said...

As always...great collections...and as always...thanks for posting these!