Sunday, January 29, 2012

Master Class 8: M&M's


Welcome to the 5th edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals. More than 130 artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented in a series of online posts which will run every Sunday.

Style File and Techniques & Tools were the first two projects posted and links to all 23 posts can be found on the sidebar of my blog. The third project, Master Class, continues now...


Participants were asked : 'If you could take a class from one artist from anytime in history, including the present, who would it be and why?'

(Images and links have been added by The Altered Page)
-----------------------------------------
Erin Perry chose Claude Monet, adding that "Of course I love his work, but the real draw would be getting to spend time at Giverny, dining in the gorgeous yellow dining room...

(Photos by Ariane Cauderlier)

 staying in one of the lovely upstairs bedrooms...


 finding my way to the ultra blue kitchen every morning for a bowl of latter...


 and then wandering the beautiful gardens for inspiration...


 before settling down for class with the master."

Trudi Sissons remembers: "I always go back to a moment now several years ago in New York, when I came upon Claude Monet's Water Lilies (1914-26) oil on three canvas panels, for a total overall measurement of 6 1/2 feet by almost 42 feet long.


 I was paralyzed first by the scale and continue to be dumbfounded by how he achieved them - both the blend of sky, reflection, light and water and the grandness of the scale. I would want to go back in time to Giverny to observe him as he created these masterpieces.

-----------------------------------------
Angela Cartwright chose Michelangelo. "Maybe a sketch class...and then I would go watch him paint the Sistine Chapel for a few days."


William J. Charlebois also chose Michelangelo, adding that "he was both a sculptor and a painter. 



I think it is utterly amazing what he was able to carve out of stone. I would love to be able to do that."
-----------------------------------------
Marcia Beckett said "I would love to watch Henri Matisse paint and see how his art develops. I adore his wild colors and expressive patterns, especially in his interior and still life paintings."



Donna Louise Rodgers also selected Matisse "because he never gave up and invented new ways to express himself even when his sight failed him, and because he loved 'doing' people and he understood implicitly the use of line and colour. "


-----------------------------------------
AnTonia Griva chose Amedeo Modigliani "cause you can see in his works a pure sensitivity that floods out the figures in his paintings. I would like to have that too in my paintings."


-----------------------------------------
Judy Wise "would ask Marcia Myers how she got those beautiful fresco-like surfaces with acrylic paint. She has passed away now and all her techniques are lost."


-----------------------------------------
Holly Dean said "rather than taking a class, I would choose to spend time with British artist Dave McKean. I would love to watch him create, share his thoughts and see how inspiration evolved into his darkly intriguing imagery.


His art is a combination of painting, sculpture, photography and text, using hand and digital processes. It suggests a strong sense of story, while often projecting a dark sense of humour and not a small amount of cleverness.

-----------------------------------------
Next 'Master Class' will be held on Sunday, February 5th.

18 comments:

Lynn Cohen said...

Always such an educational and visually pleasing treat to come here on Sundays!

deb said...

another great selection! love Matisse's use of colour and form, and really Michelangelo - truly divine.

Jo Murray said...

Some old masters and some newies. New to me at least. It's always a good read Seth... thanks again.

Maureen said...

I have been twice to Giverny and hope to go again before leaving this earth. It's one of the most inspirational historic and artistic homes I've ever visited.

McKean has me intrigued. I'll have to spend some time taking a look at his work. Thank you for the introduction.

Beulah Bee said...

I have only seen but a few famous works, in person, in my lifetime, but I will always remember the day I started to cry when I saw my first Monet. I bet I would faint if I ever saw the Pieta. Modigliani's eyes and not the long skinny necks are why he's one of my favorites too. Oh how I wish I could make such emotional art!

bohemiannie! art said...

Bravo. Wonderful artists!

rivergardenstudio said...

What a fascinating post you have put together again in your Master Class series. Thanks!
roxanne

Lisa Graham said...

I spent a lot of time checking out everyone here...wonderful wonderful links and artists! Thank you!

femminismo said...

So much to learn here about other artists, their tastes and pleasures. I had never seen the last artist and his work pleases me very much! thanks, seth.

Robert said...

I remember first seeing Monet's "Water Lilies" at MOMA in New York, almost 50 years ago, when I was 16. Similar to Trudi's encounter with this piece, I was completely overwhelmed by the scale of the painting, and by the way in which the realism of the reflections of sky and water when first viewed 30 or 40 feet away, completely dissolve into layer upon layer of incredibly sensuous, abstract color and texture, as you
move closer. Going back to see this piece, again, just a few years ago, gave me the same feeling of awe that I experienced the first time I saw it. The personal transformative effect of this painting, is something that has stayed with me since that time, many years ago. It is one of my favorite memories.

Parabolic Muse said...

Seth, this entry actually brought tears to my eyes. This is an amazing series. So many beautiful and life-expanding artists to dive into. How can american idol compete with this for our time and focus? And Dave McKean!! A major favorite of mine, who will endure through the ages.

Thanks, Seth!

nancy neva gagliano said...

loved my morning 'walk with the masters' right here, from you, the blogmaster!

Unknown said...

Great inspiration here today...the Matisse paintings are inspiring me to grab my journal.
x..x

ArtPropelled said...

I missed my Sunday morning fix but better late than never. Wish i could visit Giverny. Off to follow some links.

Holly Dean Artist said...

M&M's - classic. I wondered what you might come up with for a gathering of favourite arists that were so diverse. Clever! I enjoy these posts SO much. Sharing, discovering, exploring... you add a richness to our creative world. Thanks, Seth :)

layers said...

What a wonderful selection.. from artists in history to current time..such a variety and very educational.

Bill said...

Am I ever behind in reading my favorite blogs! Oh well. I don't believe I've ever seen pictures of the inside of the house at Giverny before. What beautiful, strong colors! I'm glad you shared those.

Patti Sandham said...

Wow neat post. I adore Amedeo Modigliani! I love the yellow kitchen. Oh to visit Italy.

Cheers