Monday, January 16, 2017

#ARTifacts: Exhibit One

Artifacts (plural noun): objects made by a human being, typically an item of cultural or historical interest.

ARTifacts (plural noun): a collaborative project for 2017 documenting adventures in art.


Two weeks ago I posted info about a new, year long collaborative project that I am calling #ARTifacts. Here is the (edited) brief I presented:

Every year I have so many "art memories" from my travels, my teaching, my adventures in NYC, and my studio work. I have decided that 2017 will be the year of ARTifacts where I document my adventures in art for the entire year in a physical book.

I would love to have you join me. This would be a no rules collaboration. Just find or make some sort of artist book, planner, scrapbook, 3-ring-binder, folder, or other container to document your creative experiences, whether they be in art, craft, or anything else. Then get to documenting in any way to style that works for you.

I had a good number of people express interest in joining. And an equal number of people asking what exactly the project is. I was purposely vague because I wanted it to be a reflection of you. For me, I am looking at this project as an artful way of keeping track of my daily life as an artist. A dossier or scrapbook of sorts that is filled with words and images that document the creative part of my life.

Since a picture speaks a thousand words, here are some shots of my pages from the first two weeks of 2017. This should give you a good idea of the direction I am taking.



No rules though. If you decide to join, create your book in any form and any style. Anything goes.

My plan is to have participants share their work on their own social media sites and to send pictures of their book and pages to me periodically so that I can share them on mine. At the end of 2017, I would then host an online exhibition of the work that we all created.

If you are in, please send an email so I can keep track of the players and send out updates to everyone. And send me pictures of your #ARTifacts anytime! 

17 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm in :)

PocketSize said...

Hmmmmmm I really want to participate but I don't know what form I want mine to take yet. Also I don't have my art stuff unpacked yet...

Nikki Acton said...

Great idea - love your pages so far!

elle said...

This is a great start, Seth!

Karenliz Henderson said...

Very cool idea. My artful life doesn't come close to what you're doing but I love the idea of a book of art memories.

Sisterhood of the Muse said...

Count me in! :-) Email to follow. Can't wait to see what everyone will create and share.

Pilgrim said...

I am in,

Karen said...

What a great idea!!! I'm so anxious to start, but where do I get stamps with the months on it or other words that you have? Going to have fun!

Seth said...

Hey Karen. I have collected these types of stamps over many years. They are available in many places online and in many of the scrapbook and art shops. But also, if you have a basic alphabet rubber stamp set...you can write anything you want!

Indira said...

Count me in.

Unknown said...

I'm in! Guess I better get a move on...it's the end of January already!

Kelley said...

I'm joining, too. I think I'll use my "artfully inspired life" journal that I'm creating with Joanne Sharpe to document my year of art!

DeWayna said...

I am in! Need to invest more time in creating and this will encourage me all year. Thank you.

Karen said...

Ok this looks like fun and a great idea! Count me in- I will email you😀

A Pink said...

Fab idea! Loving your pages so far Seth. Might be a doer mmmm ..... x

Michelle LaPoint Rydell said...

This is such a great idea Seth! I'm in! I will email you!

Jenny Marples said...

Thrilled to be able to start my ARTifacts journey! http://bit.ly/2kUED2w