Saturday, July 22, 2017

Australia 2017: Post 1

I am writing this post in my hotel room in Sydney, Australia as what has become an annual adventure down under is fast winding down. I have had the good fortune to have had the opportunity to be a part of two Fibre Arts Australia events and teach too additional workshops as part of an Art is You popup. Some time to explore this incredible place was also part of the plan. Happy to be able to share my experiences in a series of blog posts, the first of which is now...

Australia 2017 started in Melbourne, where I had some time to acclimate to the 14 hour time difference and play a bit before the work started. I love the urban grit at the heart of Melbourne and the fact that the city is like a patchwork of so many distinct qualities.

It is a big city...


which holds on to its history.


It has pockets of beautiful nature...


mixed with a hipster vibe.


Secret passages, alleyways, and lanes are everywhere. Some filled with shops or restaurants...


and many filled edge to edge with street art.


Oh the street art. Melbourne has been dubbed the stencil capital of the world. And for good reason...








Spent a good amount of time in Fitzroy, a gentrified neighborhood a bit akin to Williamsburg. Many of the street arts pics were capture there. It was also in Fitzroy where I found a cool shop called panelpop, a gallery of sorts where art is printed (and more) on reclaimed materials. It is also filled with inspiration and endless photo ops.






My time in Melbourne went by quickly and after a few days it was time to close that chapter and walk through the door to my next adventure down under.

Next up: Ballarat and Fibre Arts Australia event #1

21 comments:

Debbi Baker said...

So much fun to be able to see your journey especially as some of it coincides with mine on my way to your workshop. I love the different perspective! You certainly got some amazing street art photos.

Caterina Giglio said...

Thanks for the tour, it is definitely on my list to visit one day, and your photos, make me wish it was sooner, than later.. ;-)

Redanne said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely photos Seth, those stencilled walls are amazing. Sydney is my favourite Australian city, I just love the harbour area. Enjoy your time there!

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

What a wonderful trip with so much to see and experience. The street art is amazing. Enjoy the remaining time down under and have a safe trip back, Seth!

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for the tour! I've never been to Australia so it was fun to see. Those stencils! That creative reuse shop.....

Brian Kasstle said...

How cool is that! Traveling the world doing what you love and making so many folks happy!

toni said...

Thank you Seth for sharing your trip with us. I've never really seriously thought about going on a trip to Australia, but it looks like there's a lot of interesting things going on. X

peggy gatto said...

Loved your pics, Great wall art! Thanks for posting. Enjoy your travels!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What an amazing post. I've wanted to visit Australia since an art friend moved to Brisbane. As hot as it's been here in the States, I bet you are happy to be so far south. I was in awe of the street art, the big city feel, and most of all, the hipster vibe. I look forward to lots more of this trip.

Cindy said...

Loved looking at it all! Thanks so much for sharing!

roxanne said...

So many amazing sights and so different than my world! Love all your photos Seth!

Poetryqn said...

Thanks for letting us go walkabout in your pocket, Seth! Your photos give me a tantalizing glimpse into yet another city I'll have to add to my bucket list!

Pat said...

Thanks for the tour, love the block shop. That door is wonderful. You can try to work out it's history from the layers,so many layers. REGISTERED OFFICE..of what? COO... & CO? and then that crazy awning. Brilliant.

Marit said...

The street art is wonderful Seth! What a joy to walk through those streets and see all the bright paintings... thanks for the tour!

Ricki Treleaven said...

I enjoyed seeing the street art. Thanks for posting!

Debi Adams said...

Wow. Looked amazing Seth. Though we all would love to go there, it's the next best thing. Love the art you brought to us.

Karen@littlebirdiequilting said...

Glad to see you enjoyed Melbourne, and thanks for your blog post on your trip.

Helen said...

what amazing places you've been and things you've seen!

Ruth said...

oh my, it looks so inviting...I would love to go just to visit panelpop...another great post. thanks Seth :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely photos Seth, those stencilled walls are amazing. Sydney is my favourite Australian city, I just love the harbour area. Enjoy your time there!

หนังตลกฝรั่ง

A Pink said...

Thanks so much Seth for taking us on a tour around some of the sights of Melbourne . Looks like such a cool place to visit, like it has something for everyone. Love all those alleys full of activity and ART - its fantastic that Melbourne allow the walls of their city to be the canvas for talented artists to express!
Looks like you sniff out all the best joints too - Panelpop - what a find!

Right ready to head on to part two - see ya there
x