Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Spotlight: Scott Gordon

I came across Scott Gordon's website while surfing the internet. He is a New York based photographer with a creative eye and the ability to see something extraordinary in the ordinary. I was immediately drawn into his images because of his strong use of color, the feeling of movement, and the textural qualities of the surfaces. There is a sense that his photographs, especially in the Otherworld series, are images of something familiar but seen in a unique and mesmerizing new way. I asked Scott to tell me a little about his inspirations and his visual aesthetic. Here is what he had to say:

"What drew me to photography was a somewhat innate tendency to recognize potential images as I observed the world at a young age. I felt inclined to try to capture these exciting and curious images with a camera. I was not always successful, nonetheless I felt a desire to persist. I am inspired by what I imagine is often unseen or ignored. I try to look at the world in a open and somewhat naive way to find beauty in everything that is overlooked and taken for granted. I love composition, color, and texture. I often photograph static objects but also enjoy the moments and feelings seen in human interaction. I would like to focus more on people in the future. My goal is to travel and see the world while capturing its colors, textures, and people in a way that might reveal what is not always seen or appreciated."

The photographs below are just a few of my favorites from his website. I think they speak for themselves.





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing, indeed! This is something I have trouble with every day...I've mentioned in on my blog before I think...I have to much trouble finding beauty in every day things. I get used to things too easily.... art ADD I like to call it. I am going to work on this! Thanks for this link!

Unknown said...

Amazing photos!
I checked is website and he is a refreshment to the ordinary everyday life, it tells you to stop and give a moment to yourself in the environment around you, stop and enjoy.
Thanks Scott!

azirca said...

Striking photos. I love taking photos of the everyday mundane objects that we tend to take for granted. Thanks for the link, I love Scott's photography.

&rew said...

Thank you for sharing that link. I find that looking at Scott's photographs will make me feel more relaxed and calm. That's something!
&rew

Chris said...

Wow, so cool. Now I have two new sites, Trudi's and Scott's to keep up with, and I love them. And your newest post, I have to go look again! Great work, Seth.

mcdc3s said...

Oh they are lovely photos. What a talent. The plant reminds me of an abstract!

indigo16 said...

This is a wonderful site. I always love an esoteric viewpoint. Thankyou