Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Tag...you're it!


Okay. I am finally giving in. I have been tagged by four people in the last month. Thanks to Sarah, &rew, Marie, and Maralena for this honor. The rules from each person were slightly different but boil down to sharing 6 or 7 random, odd, strange, weird, or non-important things, habits, quirks, and/or facts about myself. So in keeping with the theme of my blog, I have decided to post 6 random art-related facts. In no particular order...

1. When I was in grade school, I won a contest designing a poster for a statewide project called "Read to Succeed." I guess my interest in art started young.

2. When I go to a museum to see an exhibit, I never ever take the tour they offer...whether it is via audio or an actual guide. I need to go at my own pace -- which is always faster than the guide.

3. I own somewhere in the neighborhood of six different cameras but I almost always only use one -- my Nikon D-40.

4. As a child my favorite crayola crayon in the big 64-crayon box was always Burnt Sienna. I sometimes thought that this was a boring choice but now I think I was just way ahead of the curve on the earthtone, rust, and nature trends.

5. In the past I was frustrated when I made "a mistake" when working on a piece of art but I have come to realize that there are no errors in the process. Some of my best work has actually come from "correcting" these supposed mistakes.

6. I always seem to have an extracurricular art obsession. At one time it was searching Ebay. Then it was collecting zines. For a while it was Etsy. Now it most certainly is art blogs. Hope this obsession never ends!

Part of being tagged is to name other bloggers that I want to tag. Instead of choosing a specific list of people, I propose that anybody who would like to share an art-related quirk either do so on their blog or leave it in a comment. Tag...you're it!


On another note, I would like to send out thanks to Dinner with Picasso for including my blog in the Blog Roll Game!

5 comments:

lynne h said...

seth, i think you *were* way ahead of the curve on the earthtone thing!!

azirca said...

I enjoyed reading your six random art related snippets.
I'm not surprised that you won a poster designing contest in grade school, your talent obviously started young.

sf said...

I love that you don't take traditional tours. . . and am a bit jealous of the camera thing, as the only two I have are in my phone and my iMac. . .
And the thing about your grade school coup, belated congrats - and also, thx! 'Cuz that reminded me of something from my own past I had forgotten - I won a blue ribbon for a diorama of Denali in 6th grade! Only I think we called it Mount McKinley back then. . .
sarah

Val Foster said...

Okay Seth, I'll take you up on your tag challenge. I have to admit (confess) that I am a hoarder of various art things, such as rusted found objects. Especially those. And I'm very "careful" of what objects I use on art for swaps, saving the one's I like best for myself for my art I will keep. Shame on me!

Your bits of information about yourself are interesting and help us to know you better. Thanks for that.

Chris said...

I loved burnt sienna, but my favorite was cornflower blue. Which is odd, since I don't care much for it now. Anyway, I loved reading your list!