Friday, September 5, 2008

The Pulse: Medium Well 1

Welcome to the third edition of The Pulse: an artist survey. This collaborative project aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals. For links to the sites of the participating artists, please click here.


Today's question: If you could work in one medium or format that you haven't yet tried, tell us what it would be and why. The following is the first of four posts to answer this question.


Suzan Buckner Encaustics--Beeswax--I think that the finish you get when using encaustics are just so heavenly, and soft. I keep meaning to give it a try, but haven't yet.

Andrew Borloz I have not tried creating zines. I hope to start designing and producing them for sale this winter. I don’t make money from writing posts for my blog, but with zines, I hope I will – I have so much to share, and so many stories to tell.

Judy Wise Film. I'd love to compose and direct fantasy stories with ravishing heroines and sensitive men who are brave and wonderful and who save the world from greed and over-population. lol. Now that would be quite a story.

Elizabeth Bunsen I would love to work in printmaking - because I love paper and its capabilities and the graphic possibilities of the press - and even further - paper making and printing combined - mmmmmmmmmmm....

Traci Huskamp Oil painting. I am formally trained as a watercolorist, but I have always had the desire to explore the lush world of oils. I have pondered returning to the local university to take a couple of classes, but have yet to make it a priority.

David Castle Someday I’d love to try metal sculpture – big, industrial, welded pieces that one might see in Gotham City. I have some big, dark, chunky shapes in my head that can only go so far with watercolors and paper…

Leighanna Light I've never really worked with jewelry much & I've been playing with that a bit. And now that I've learned how to sew a button on to a shirt, I've decided that I want to become a fashion designer!

Kelly Kilmer Ooh, tough question. I've tried various mediums and am still in love with acrylic paints and paper. I'd love to possibly explore fabric more-combining fabric and paper, but sewing machines scare me (chalk it up to a bad experience when I was young and took a class on how to sew Cabbage Patch Doll clothes...yup.). I love the work of Lenore Tawney-her fabric installations were amazing. I'd love to have the space to explore more large scale paper arts/mixed media work, but that will have to wait for now.

Julie Prichard My friend Roger (no blog) makes the most amazing modern art. We worked together in a previous life and unfortunately, our art paths did not align until we lived in different cities. I would have loved to have been able to watch him create. http://www.artslant.com/global/artists/show/10943-roger-weik
Valerie Foster Well, I'm not sure on that. I've tried and experimented with a lot of media, some only once or twice. I think I'd like to try working more with metal, and also with fabric. Using all kinds of media in one piece, and making it work, making it cohesive and beautiful, would really please me. My problem is, there are so many things I want to use and try, it's hard for me to focus at times. There are so many options, narrowing it down and making choices is difficult, and sometimes overwhelming.

Megan Barron Encaustic. Those enduring, fresh portraits in the Egyptian wing at the Met continue to affect me.

azirca I love the look of encaustic work, it's dreamlike hazy qualities really appeal to me. I'd love one day to have a go at incorporating my photography with encaustic art.

Max Ackerson I've always wanted to try forging, like making a sword or some armor.

Marie Otero I briefly, once, tried to play with Oil paints and never quite got the hang of it. They worked all backwards compared to Acrylics and took much longer to dry than I could be patient with. I would however, like to learn to paint with them properly one day. There always seems to be a depth and light to oil painting that never seems to be captured exactly so in other paint mediums.

Karen Cole I would love to work with fibers. I love what Ruth Rae does with her sewing machine. The textures and colors of the fabric, yarns and ribbons is just beautiful.

Lisa Call Oil painting. Because it's a messy process. Textiles are dry and don't lend them self well to making a squishy mess. Oil painting is also the gold standard for medium and it would be fun to not be on the fringe working in textiles for a while.

Kathy Wasilewski I have been wanting to learn Photoshop and dabble a little in digital artwork. There are so many techniques and enhancements that are created in Photoshop that could greatly enhance the quality of one's work. Also, it appears that Digital Art is becoming more and more popular and will soon supersede some of the basic formats of collage, or even scrapbooking.

Cynjon Noah Welding. It's something that I've wanted to try my hand at for several years now, but has been put on hold until the house construction is finished. Priorities and all that jazz. There's just something appealing about large metal objects left outside to patina and age as they will...very tactile and visually pleasing to me.

Dina Wakley I'd love to do more canvases...right now I primarily work on paper. I also want to learn more about painting techniques and methods, and I really need a basic drawing class.

Jessica Gonacha Ooohh... that's a hard one. I want to try everything! I think I might choose sculpture with found objects. I'm always so intrigued by work that looks like the pieces were found in junk yards and back alleys. IT seems like it would there would e an element of treasure hunting to make work that way!

Marilyn Gallas I really want to work with fabric. I have done one piece of fabric art - I made a "big sack" from Traci Bautista's book However, I drool when I look at some of the work from fabric artists like Leslie Riley, Traci Bautista, D.J. Pettit and Keely Barham in the various magazines and books. I think the texture of fabric speaks to me. Oh, and I forgot, the beautiful colors and designs of fabric inspire me. Also I can paint my own fabric.

Judy Wilkenfeld Metal – that is, the fine engraving like one would see on Victorian pieces.

Sally Turlington It would either be encaustics because I love the smell of wax as well as the muted look and nostalgic feel of it OR it would be wall hangings or assemblages or some kind of art (besides art jewelry) with metal because using all those heavy duty, REAL tools is so macho or groovy or something impressive -- for a girl! LOL.

Teresa Abajo I adore glass in any form. It’s so beautiful, yet so dangerous to work with. It’s either sharp or hot. ( I think I’ve just explained it’s allure). I had a friend who worked with his dad in his glass business – he had the best scars I’ve ever seen!

Stephanie Mcatee Polaroid transfer. I’ve used short-cut techniques to copy the process, but I still don’t come up with the same end result.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is easy to assume every artist is fluent in many mediums, but that is not so.. all these new technique to discover!

Karen Salva said...

Came here to check you out because Suzan Buckner said too!

Commenting because you are fabulous!

If I were to answer this question something tangible would be trying Encaustics, I have a bee thing going on and have coated with beezwax but that is as far as it goes. something not likely to happen anytime soon would be "more power" as in power tools...saws...welding going bigger and more structural. (I guess that is 2 things so good thing this is just a comment!!!)

keep up the good work here and look forward to poking around more!

Binky said...

I wish all of you who want to try encaustic could be here for a big encaustic party. I'd show you all how to do it.

This makes me think it may be worth posting some "how to's" on my blog.
http://binky-ramblings.blogspot.com