Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Pulse: Medium Well 4

Welcome to the third edition of The Pulse: an artist survey. This collaborative project aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals. For links to the sites of the participating artists, please click here.


Today's question: If you could work in one medium or format that you haven't yet tried, tell us what it would be and why. The following is the last of four posts to answer this question.


Angela Cartwright That would be casting in bronze…I have to try it someday.

Ginny Carter Smallenburg I am drawn to fabric, but haven't really tried that yet. I have done some bookbinding, but would like to become more proficient at it.

Angela Rockett Encaustic is a medium that I'm very tempted to try, because it can have so much depth and mystery.

Denise Lombardozzi ceramics. the process is enthralling & therapeutic. i think i would thoroughly enjoy creating organically shaped frames for my pieces. slopping in slip, as it were!

Jonna Barnett Leather. I have been around horses a lot in my life and love the smell and feel of good leather. I started binding my own journals a few years ago after finding a nice piece of leather, but they are pretty plain jane. I have been wanting to get some leather stamps and do designs on the covers.

Robyn Gordon I've worked on paper with acrylics and water colours but I have never worked on canvas so perhaps I would like to try oils or acrylics on huge canvases incorporating collage and found objects. I visualise making grand gestures, splashing , scrubbing, dripping, scraping, scratching and generally just feeling my way around the canvas rather than thinking about my every move.

Kim Logan Hmmmmm...again this is a toughie..!!...Having spend all my professional life in art and photography I have dabbled in pretty much everything..!!...I have however just discovered PMC and would like to pursue a curiosity with this medium. I would love to combine jewellery with art somehow and be able to offer a personalised piece of jewellery art..!

Deana Hager I really want to get a computer with enough memory, speed etc to do digital art. I graduated from college in 1983 with a degree in Graphic Art. Everything I learned or did during that time was "old school" meaning it was all done by hand. I LOVE the computer and really want to do a lot more in the way of digital.

Marion Bockelmann This is easy: I´d love to try sewing and using metals. I love both techniques when I´m looking at other artists´ work but I just don´t have the equipment and/or skills to do that. But I love the idea that there are things to explore in the future.

James Michael Starr Printmaking, because I love the contrast of the mechanics of the process with the simplicity of the product. I was a graphic designer for about 30 years, so I also find very appealing the idea of reclaiming that application of my skills (two-dimensional design and production) for my own purposes instead of those of a client.

Mistie Jordan Drawing. Pencil drawing. I wish I could draw better than I do. I seem to have forgotten the nuances of it.

Jennifer Gordon I would love to be able to sew and design clothes, this is something that I yearn to do, I have not sewn anything since home-ec in junior high, and the things I made were a total disaster, I don't think I have the sewing gene.

Terry Rafferty Watercolor can be one of the most beautiful painting media - but also one of the worst when done poorly. It scares me! What I really would like to play with is collage and storytelling through mixed media pieces. I have some ideas about what I want, but haven't figured out how to go about it - or when!

Ro Bruhn There aren't too many things I haven't tried yet, but having seen Judy Wise's fabulous encaustic paintings I'd have to say encaustics.

Steph Bouwers Can’t think about something I haven’t tried ... maybe the format .. I’d like to work on bigger formats (like I did when I was a student in art school). And I’d like to start painting again ...

Dawn Sokol I'm not really sure because I've tried many things. I enjoy beeswax, which I'd like to do more of. I think I'd like to try working more with fabric and/or stitching, but I just need to find the time!

Bridgette Guerzon Mills I would love to be a textile artist. I just adore cloth, fabric, prints, thread, string, yarn...you name it. I do incorporate thread and some cloth into my work as much as my very limited knowledge of my machine allows. I haven't quite allowed myself to learn how to sew because I just don't have anymore room in my studio for all the fabrics and notions that I know I would just have to have!

Elis Cooke I have always wanted to try working with clay. I love the tactile, texture and 3d forms. I get by with casting paper and using polymer clays to create my textures now but maybe someday I will get to explore that medium.

Roben-Marie Smith This would be encaustic wax! I love the translucent look of this medium and I think I would enjoy experimenting with the layering options.

Binky Bergsman I have tried all media that I can think of. I don’t have much of an attention span so I flit around a little.(or a lot) I would like to know more about collage and jewelry though. Not the how to but the whys behind the work. That’s usually what I want to know about. What makes the artist do what he/she does? What was the thought process involved in putting an object in one place as opposed to another? Why did he/she choose to leave something out of a painting? How did they determine the subject of a piece?

Joanna Olson Pastels - I love looking at the pastel work that's being done. I'm not sure why I haven't done any. In fact I own several pastel sets. This isn't entirely accurate because I have "tried" pastels. I simply haven't completed anything with it that I can incorporate into my portfolio. I plan on it though.

Doreen Grozinger Mosaic tiles. I wanted to do a bird bath and even collected and still collecting tiles. I’m inspired by Gaudi’s work. I am amazed by large sculptural works that include mosaic. Would love to go to Barcelona!

Trudi Sissons The new line of Golden acrylics that stay wet allowing the freedom of reworking the paint. I’d also like to dive into encaustics, if only to smell beeswax.

Kathleen Botsford I am a fledgling mixed media "experimenter" and need tons more time to figure out everything but someday I would love to work with water colors. And abstract collage. And calligraphy. And sketching. And learn to draw. I see all of the wonderful work on this communities blogs and it always whets my appetite for whatever the medium I am ogling is. Everyone's work is so Brilliant!

Seth Apter While not technically a technique, the first thing that comes to mind is a daily visual journal. This is something that I have wanted to start but have just not yet had the time. Among other benefits, I see it as a playground to try many new techniques.

1 comment:

SUZAN BUCKNER said...

well, I might just have to go get you a journal, and do the first couple of pages for you--then you'll be obligated to continue...ehheheheh.