Sunday, December 13, 2009

Secret Sunday 4

Do you want to know a secret?


Welcome to the fourth edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals.


Over 150 (!) artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented as a series of online and print projects. And the first continues right now!

Join the The Altered Page every Sunday for "Secret Sunday." Here the secrets of all your favorite artists will be revealed. It could be a technique, a product, a secret source, a little-known website, a hidden shop, an inspiration, just about anything! If you missed any, no worries. You can find links to all the secrets on the sidebar of my blog.

Today's secret.......From the Inside!
_______________

&rew Borloz
Blog: &rew's Wanderlusts & Explorations
Blog: &rew's Creative Life
Blog: &rew's Urban Paper Arts

Do the opposite of what others would "normally" do or think. Go in the opposite direction of where others would go. Always carry a camera with you wherever you go as you might unexpectedly find something interesting.


______________

Barbara Kleinhans
Website: Barbara Kleinhans
Flickr: Barbara Kleinhans

I enjoy being an artist much more after I let go of it being my primary income source. Instead of concentrating on how many sales I needed to make or what to paint that would sell, I feel gratitude at the connection others have with my artwork, relish the process of painting (even when it doesn't turn out quite right), and am happy when a painting goes off to a new home.


_______________

Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart
Blog: Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

My art secret is not exactly a technique or process but more of an attitude. I live with a chronic debilitating progress disease and have tried to seek a harmonious balance in my spiritual and physical worlds. Daily I strive to find calm quiet movements, quiet calm moments and recognize my body is my temple. Given a correct balance I am privileged to be able to keep making my sacred marks. The medium seems to be evolving and that is a gift in so many ways. On days when I am out of remission I allow my body to listen with my heart and try a new avenue for sharing my stories and legacy. I do not dwell on the financial rewards even though when this is available I feel a sense of relief to be able to give back to my family, my community and my global world. Being an artist is a privilege that comes with the responsibility to make the world a better more equal community where diversity is not only allowed but totally desired.
_______________

Brian Kasstle
Blog: A Man Who Crafts

Keep learning, take classes, seminars, stretch your boundaries and comfort zone. You never know where it will take you.


_______________

Cyn Richardson
Blog: Two Blue Crows

My only secret to share is the ability to "let go" to "play" and let the art come from the inner source found in everyone if they can just let it out.


"Sunrise Through the Storm" Acrylics, 5" x 7"
_______________

grrl & dog
Blog: grrl & dog

There will be a thread to your work. It could be a persistent thought or line that surfaces again and again, it may manifest in a color or a certain fabric or way of doing something that for you is so natural, so completely unconscious, you don’t even know you’re doing it.

That is your style...that is what will grow up to be your style if you allow it to rise and say hello to you. It won’t be a major thing, it will be just a little something; others will spot it before you do. When they do, you will be slightly puzzled, and say “oh..that...”.

But that is your style. Once you get to know each other, to trust each other, wonderful things will happen.
_______________

Fran Meneley
Blog: Fran Meneley

Ok, here’s my big secret – PAY ATTENTION. No, really. It’s the biggest addition to your mixed media arsenal. How much goes by us unnoticed? The smallest thing can make the biggest difference. Paying attention involves slowing down and tuning in. Breathe. Look around. Really look and see. All kinds of things come into focus; there is so much inspiration around us. I think as artists we are always looking, always on the lookout. But there’s no big secret, it’s just about paying attention. What we notice and what comes to us and how we interpret the world is what makes each of us unique – and it’s what makes our art interesting and engaging and compelling.

This was brought home to me in a very big way, in a way that I somehow finally got "it", in Oaxaca, Mexico a couple of years ago. I was sitting in the courtyard of a potter’s studio. We’d seen a wonderful demonstration, it was toward the end of the day. My day had been filled with so many wondrous things, I was kind of on overload. A couple of us sat on a bench in front of a table. It had a group of “random” fruits and vegetables and flowers – at first glance.


But one of the women said, “oh look what a beautiful still life.” And when I took the time to really look, to tune in, what I beheld was indeed a beautiful still life.


This idea of tuning in and Paying Attention, really crystallized for me in that moment. So my big art secret is PAY ATTENTION – it’s all there, all the time, it’s all happening, just pay attention.

_______________

Julie Prichard
Blog & Website: The Land of Lost Luggage

I have learned to let go and be myself; to ignore my inner critic.


_______________

Michelle Smith
Blog: My Green Gravity
Mixed media challenge blog: Reality Scraps

I have found art mistakes are some of the best ways to achieve a delightful and surprising end result.
_______________

Patricia Anders
Blog: Patricia Anders
Website: Art Propensity
Etsy: Triciajoy
Flickr: Tricia Anders

I look for opportunities to surprise people with small artworks or prints by leaving things on the street for free. Like easter eggs with mini art inside or treasure boxes or small prints.


Here is an image of "thought bubbles" that are like mini pinatas with a message or thought inside and a mini piece of art, they can be opened by pulling the string. I will randomly drop this here and there for passer bys to find.
_______________

32 comments:

Julie Prichard said...

Really looking forward to Sunday's now. Well done, Seth.

Anonymous said...

so honoured to be part of thid and to be part of the secret too!

Anonymous said...

so honoured to be part of this and to be part of the secret too!

Unknown said...

Thanks for leaving another great set of tracks to follow.

Coffee Messiah said...

I'm only aware of one of these artists and appreciate the introductions to the others.

Cheers!

ArtPropelled said...

Another fantastic batch of secrets today, Seth. Its the highlight of my Sunday browsethon.

nancy neva gagliano said...

MIND-expanding!!! "why didn't i think of that?", AND, "oh, me too!"

nancy neva gagliano said...

our blog world's NYTimes...grin.

Karin Bartimole said...

Another wonderful group of artists Seth. I really like how you've grouped them by the similarity to what they are share here - the thread of these artist's attitude and approach to their creativity resonates deeply. Happy Sunday!

Lisa said...

Your blog has become the highlight of my Sunday morning. Thanks for sharing!

theresa martin said...

wonderful!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've been thrilled with all the secrets others have shared over these past four weeks, but the one that has hit me the hardest is what grrl + dog said about finding and recognizing your style. This is something I don't have as I seem to flit from one style to the next. Obviously I don't see a style emerging, but I'm hoping, as the tip suggested, that others will even before I do.

Thank you for this wonderful Sunday, Seth (and guests).

inge said...

Hello Seth,
thanks for sharing some more secrets ! I love the thought bubbles !

greetings from belgium
Inge

Anonymous said...

A great selection of secrets!

Rainey J. Dillon said...

Seth Seth Seth...I've been SO busy with markets and orders here & there. Sunday night now in Dublin so deadline tomorrow Monday ok?

Rainey of the death of the deadline

Liked reading this post btw

Ange said...

They were very beautiful secrets today. I have just hit the Mac after two day's absence (end of year festivities for kiddies plus art/craft fairs for moi!) What a great post to come back to. Sorry - I missed my writing today. On the job again next week! Ange

Ange said...

PS - I too loved the comment of personal style. Today was very intuitive Seth ...So important to remind us of that!

Barbara Kleinhans said...

Thanks for including me Seth. What I love about the Pulse is getting to meet so many other creative people and their work.

Unknown said...

I am intrigued by this post...it seems clear that whatever "outer" resources are available for creative experimentation, it is the "inner" resource that resounds to the core issues of longing and mastery...the beginning of begin again and again that usurps all definition and mapping. There are no secrets apart from the magic of the here and now "all". A lesson to be learned over and over again...the (perhaps) hardest lesson of all.

Mary S. Hunt said...

fabulous tips one and all
but
especially

"pay attention"!

thanks seth!!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Slow down...calm quiet movements...calm quiet moments help us all to let go and play. I am so honored to be able to contribute to this collaborative quilt of thoughts and processes. I am watching Holiday Inn right now and the music is taking me away from the cold winter chills. Imagine and live in Peace, Mary Helen

layers said...

all so fascinating and interesting-- I am really enjoying and learning from your secret sunday posts

Margaret said...

I also enjoyed 'pay attention' great insight into the 'eyes' of other artists. M

lynne h said...

ahhhhh... loved this, seth...

Anonymous said...

what an amazingly great collection of secrets and thoughts and today was the perfect day for me to read it. i've fallen quite behind the past couple of weeks but am so glad to have some time to go through your most recent blog posts today. ty again for sharing all of this, seth.

Unknown said...

What a fantastic resource you have created here!!

Marit said...

Thanks again, all you guys, for sharing your secrets. I enjoy coming here on Sunday (or a little later...) and read everything and get inspired!!!

Jill Z said...

A thought, a moment to contemplate, a time to relax with what you're doing and look at the details, create acts of surprise to others and surprise yourself, keep your eyes open to all that's happening around you, make mistakes and learn from them and learn to see the thread to your special and unique sytle. All great secrets that I am so glad to have read about here! Great presentation in these categories Seth!

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

With each visit here I am richer and so grateful to be able to connect to such a sharing and creative community of artists ... thanks to all and most especially to you Seth for all you have done and continue to do to make this a reality!
You really put the SUN in Sundays!!!

Heather said...

There are really brilliant thoughts here. So many of which I recognise myself, such as the happy accidents - my personal favourite - and pushing your boundaries. Certain colour were my comfort zone, and I'm really trying hard to experiment with other colours. I am learning every single day, thanks to studying Art at college just now. I love what Patricia Anders wrote about leaving little surprises for passersby - what an amazing gift to find! Is there a way I can subscribe to this blog, as I can't see an option?

Tumble Fish Studio said...

Another spectacular post of inspiration and food for thought. You have an amazing talent for bringing this big art community together in such a positive productive way. Anyway, wanted to drop in and wish you a very Happy Holiday season and that I look forward to all the inspiration you'll offer in the new year!
marsha

Patti Edmon Artist said...

what a fabulous concept - any chance you'll be reprinting copies of the zines any time soon??

I'll resurface in a few hours...