Sunday, September 23, 2012

Playing Favorites: Chapter 6


Welcome to the 5th edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals. More than 130 artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented in a series of online posts which will run every Sunday.

Style File, Techniques & Tools, Master Class, and It's Still Life were the first four projects posted and links to all these posts can be found on the sidebar of my blog. The fifth project, Playing Favorites, continues now...


Participants were asked to: share a picture of a favorite piece of art that you have created and explain its meaning to you...
------------------------------------------
Shayla Perreault Newcomb
"This painting is called Dare to Rise and it looks similar to the landscape around Woodstock, N.B. I had lived there for 4 years in an unhealthy marriage and the area is full of unhappy memories for me. After revisiting the area,  I came back and painted this. The painting revealed itself as being about my first marriage. It stands for that first moment when you decide to make a change and the courage it takes to."

Annie Kerr
"In Snowdonia, North Wales, Y Lliwedd and Llyn Llydaw before the weather closed in. It brings back fond memories of hiking in the mountains and of the awesome power of such places."

judy sidonie tillinger
"This painting represents a place I am constantly drawn to - the southwest. This was done at Ghost Ranch in Abiqui, New Mexico with pastels."

Laura A. Pace
"This is Bottle House. It is a delightful house in New Zealand. I loved the way the lights hit it. The house has those wonderful round windows and the bottle shaped addition, all overlooking the water."

Cyn Richardson
"This is one of a series of small paintings, all 8" square, that are of 'Peeks' into my corner of Connecticut. They are all partial images of Victorian age mills, lamp posts on a bridge in Putnam, little images that you might catch just glancing around. This one is the Brooklyn Town Hall, using a reference photo I took. I love the way the flag is folded, looking like it will whip out in the wind in any second. It pleases me so much to be actually able to translate my photographs into paintings."

Marcia Beckett
"This work of art was created about 11 years ago. It is a view of the apartment complex I lived in during a year in college. The oil painting has nostalgic memories because I think of my life during that time. This was also one of my first forays into using color for a more expressive purpose."

Jill Zaheer
"My favorite painting titled Venice in Style was the first work I created since starting to art again. It was made by putting together a collage of photos I had taken in venice, drawing an outline of the painting I wanted to create with a black sharpie on my canvas, and then starting to paint away. The completion of this painting gave me the confidence to feel that I could really paint."
------------------------------------------

Next "Playing Favorites" will be posted on Sunday, September 30th.

9 comments:

Sharmon Davidson said...

I like how these works are all about places that are significant to the artist. It's also great to get a glimpse of such widely varied locations through the eyes of those who live/have lived there.

amy of studio four corners said...

always a great way to start my sunday morning...

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was impressed with all these paintings. I know you don't sew and don't dye fabric, and I don't paint because I can't draw. But I was totally impressed with all these artists creating in a medium or media, that I will never be able to participate in. Great way to choose your art this week, too.

Jill Zaheer said...

Seth- thank you so much for spotlighting my artwork today. I am in awe of this post - snd so honored and happy to share this page with such magnificent works and talented artists. I can't wait to explore more about each of them! It was also a work of brilliance in creating this assemblage of corresponding
art, artworks and reasons for selections together! Just have to tell you again how much I love this series of your Pulse. Just super!

Jo Murray said...

Artists see beauty in their surroundings, wherever they are. This lot certainly do anyway.

Robert said...

This is an impressive array of paintings with the "importance of place," as subject! I think it is interesting that when an artist, through their work, expresses strong feelings about a place of great personal significance, that, frequently, the stage is set for a 'breakthrough' of some sort (artistic, or otherwise). Several artists, here, describe having had such an experience in the process of creating their place-specific work. Expressive, and wonderful artwork, Seth, from an awesome group of painters!

A Magical Whimsy said...

Annie Kerr's painting reminds me of the mountain in 'The Lord of the Rings' and probably is as she said it is in North Wales, AU. Lovely painting and all of the other artists' painting are equally beautiful and full of emotion.

Anonymous said...

I am so enjoying this series of images - it is so cool to hear why each artist chose each work, and ti hear a bit about their practice.

Caterina Giglio said...

love the meanings behind them... wonderful post..