Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Change Direction

You don't need a compass to make this book. Just follow these instructions...

I started this project off by hand-painting several sheets of watercolor paper using gesso, acrylic paint and acrylic glaze. You could also use scrapbook or other decorative paper instead.

I can never get enough texture in my artwork, so I decided to use one of Spellbinders new Texture Plates, which has already become a staple in my art supply box. This one is Grate Works Three.

Click on this picture to enlarge it so you can see the incredible nooks and crannies the paper now has.

I gently sponged over the surface with ink to make the texture pop even more and to add some color highlights.

I cut the textured paper using a scissor into two 3.5 inch squares. Using a ruler so I could get deckled edges, I tore a sheet of 90lb watercolor paper into three 3.5 x 7 inch rectangles - one would be for the cover and two for the pages inside. 

 I folded the three pieces of watercolor paper in half to create a book form.

I next glued the textured paper to both sides of one sheet of the folded watercolor paper, and these sides become the front and back covers to my book.

 I used a simple pamphlet stitch to put the book together using waxed, brown linen thread and added one bead at the closure for visual interest.


To decorate my covers, I cut a contrasting color of hand-painted paper using Spellbinders Exquisite Circles dies...

..and of course felt the need to add some found and altered metal to complete the look.


A book is born...



Right now the inside pages are blank but I will soon be completing them and showing them in a future post. Stay tuned...

---------------------------------

Supply List

Spellbinders Paper Art Supplies:

GC-001 SpellbindersTM Grand Caibur® Machine
MT1-005 SpellbindersTM Media Mixage Texture Plates Grate Works Three
S4-384 SpellbindersTM Nestabilities® Majestic Elements Exquisite Circles 

Preferred Promotional Partners: Tsukineko Momento Dye Ink Pad, Imagine Crafts Inkblushers sponge

Other: watercolor paper, gesso, acrylic paint, acrylic medium, gilders paste, paint brush, adhesive, waxed linen thread, sewing needle, scissor, ruler, awl, bead, found objects 

23 comments:

Judy Shreve said...

So simple - yet so beautiful! Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Your book is wonderful! I love the rich colors and textures!

Rita Vindedzis said...

It's so great to see your process in this demo Seth. You've inspired me to make one for myself. I totally get your fascination with texture-I love it too.

elle said...

I am tuned and my needle is pointing straight ahead. This is wonderful, Seth!

Caterina Giglio said...

love the compass on the cover and your generosity...

Jenny said...

This is lovely and I greatly appreciate all the instructions and materials listed. I would be delighted to receive a book like this as a gift, so I think I might have to makes some to give away! Thank you for sharing!

Lisa said...

always keeping it fresh Seth and using an awl to punch the hole is a great idea!

Maureen said...

Love the texture in that paper. Great cover! Looking forward to seeing what you do on the inside.

Katalina Jewelry said...

I love the colors and texture of the covers. And the rusted metal objects finish it off perfectly!

Jo Murray said...

Thanks for the lesson O Master. I'm gonna do it.

Roberta Warshaw said...

Oh lovely work Seth. I see have a new tool to covet at Spellbinders.........sigh.

Unknown said...

Oh my God this is awesome Seth. Awesome!! Love it. *smiles* Norma, x

jonreneewebb@msn.com said...

That is really cool! It's like being underwater and seeing the compass through a porthole.

jgr said...

Awesome as always! Thank you for sharing your technique and supply info, I'm going now to check out Spellbinders.

Astrid Maclean said...

Fab project and such a cool way to use the Spellbinders products! Loving the colours you have used!

Kathryn Dyche said...

I loved seeing your process and how the book came to be . . . I'm sure the inside will be equally enticing.

hollyllama said...

Waaaaaay too cool! :) I might just give it a try.

Carol said...

Great colour, texture and of course, the magical use of metal. A lovely little book, Seth, and I know whatever you add to it will be wonderful.

Darlene K Campbell said...

I have a little compass just like that. May have to borrow your idea and make a book to use it on. I like how you have supplies listed and in an instant I can be on Spellbinders page ready to order a product you used. Uh-oh, this could be dangerous to my budget...)

Unknown said...

Seth, I love the texture you have achieved, not only with the embossing, but also with the colours. Wonderful paper and a fabulous book. Maddy x

linda higham said...

OMG Seth
way toooo cooool
i love your little book
looking forward to try to
make one myself
thankyou again for sooo
many great project samples of
your work that so inspire me
linda h

.Trudi Sissons said...

Well done Seth! Is it just me or am I noticing you are moving into a larger variety of Color palettes? As always, your textures are to die for!!

Judy Hayes said...

Super texture! That texture plate is my favorite! Such a cool little book!