Sunday, February 10, 2013

Tell All: Chapter 6



Welcome to the 5th edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals. More than 130 artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented in a series of online posts which will run every Sunday.

Style File, Techniques & Tools, Master Class, It's Still Life, and Playing Favorites were the first five projects posted and links to all these posts can be found on the sidebar of my blog. The final project from The Pulse #5, Tell All, continues now...


Participants were asked: what is the one thing that you know now that you would have liked to have known when you first started to create art? 
------------------------------------------

That I am an artist. Basic, right? You'd think. After all I went to art school and spent my life as a graphic designer. It took years, though, for me to accept that I was, in actual fact, an artist. Judy Sidonie Tillinger

Be happy developing your style rather than impatient to be perfect. Theresa Plas

Not all the advice out there applies to you. In my case, I needed more studio time and less marketing time. Shayla Perreault Newcomb

That I didn't need to be so intimidated - being able to draw is a skill that can be acquired (and that isn't always necessary), sometimes the flops lead to the best successes, sometimes mistakes turn into great surprises. I would have started getting my hands dirty a lot sooner. Marianne Konvalinka

It's easier than you think when you stop thinking, you don't need to know what you are doing and there isn't a 'right' way to do it. Paula Art

I wish I had understood the crucial roles of structure and routine in supporting creative productivity. Lisa Scardron

I wish I had known the importance of taking your art seriously enough to do whatever it takes to make time for it. Even a little time compounded over 10, 20 or 30 years can yield results. Pat Pitingolo

That it's okay to play and experiment; not every piece turns out. Simply enjoy the process. Gail Pierce

I wish I had given myself more freedom to make mistakes. Some of my best work is the result of working through the ugly duckling stage of a project. It is very liberating. Leslie Marsh

Skip the cute stuff and get right into mixed media. Donna Joy

------------------------------------------
Next Tell All will be posted on Sunday, February 17th

13 comments:

Marit said...

Each artist's answer is a truth in itself... the last one made me smile though. Ha, skip the cute stuff - indeed! I'm going to get messy in my studio today - enjoy your Sunday y-all!

Parabolic Muse said...

Leslie is so right! We give up on a piece sometimes too quickly. Just as in writing, I often love the editing process more than the beginning.

Thanks, Seth for this series. It's interesting how many of us are hesitant to consider ourselves artists. I think we grew up putting art creators on pedestals and not thinking of them as human like us. Challenging and growing and reaching potential is the most important path, I feel.

p said...

good to read how we all perceive our process. thank you for including my blurb :)

Lynn Cohen said...

fun reading all these...many are what I tell myself already... as a "new artist" I think I do pretty well supporting and encouraging myself to trust what I do and wind up liking it too. I know I sure am having fun doing it.

Seth, I cant' find the May classes in Portland Or on your side bar. did I wait too long?

Robert said...

Today's 'Tell All' is a great collection of artists learning from experience, by listening to their hearts; something we all should do from time to time. Empowering!!!

Jane Wetzel said...

wow..these are all great observations and I am thankful you have posted them :) I think we can all relate.. Since I am finally doing what I like and it took me so long to get here..I appreciate the comments here.

Bill said...

I love Paula's advice to stop thinking. I have to take pills for that! :o)

Caterina Giglio said...

wonderful to hear these, very interesting responses... and look... a PHOTO of YOU on your blog... wow! will wonder never cease?? LOL...

Leslie said...

Thanks, Seth, for the reminders. And for including me in this edition of The Pulse!

Anonymous said...

Interesting as always- I love seeing what another artist thinks....

Mary said...

These comments were SO helpful to me. I don't sell my art, but I have been in a place where I can't or don't want to do art anymore. I am finding that I am not alone in this thinking, so I am going to see what I can create without thinking it has to be the most perfect piece I ever did.

Jo Murray said...

Wish I'd known ALL this 30 years ago.

layers said...

Being an artist is such a journey.. and hindsight is what it is.. and each artist grows and learns from mistakes... always.