If you have been wondering what CHA is all about or are interested in finding out what membership entails, click here.
Soon after I joined as a Designer Member, I volunteered to be part of the Trends Team. Among other activities, the team puts together an annual report that reviews the trends of the prior year and predicts those to come. Not surprisingly, my focus was mixed media. The report also includes general crafts, paper crafts, home decor, beading/jewelry making, sewing/wearable arts, and fiber arts/needlework.
While the report in its entirety is available only to CHA members (yet another reason to join), I wanted to at least share with you a summary of my findings regarding mixed media.
(special thanks to the folks at Art is You for creating this mosaic)
2013 has seen increased popularity in:
- Upcycling and recycling of nontraditional materials
- Use of stencils in innovative ways
- The manufacturing and use of stamps (rubber, cling mount, etc.)
- Zentangling, mark making, and doodling
- Integration of hand-done and digital approaches
- The use of the Gelli Plate in expanded directions
- Adding faces to artwork via drawing, stencils, and stamps
- Encaustic and faux-encaustic approaches
- Art journaling
- Online workshops
- Live workshops taught collaboratively by multiple artists
Any trends I missed? Add your thoughts by leaving a comment to this post...