Monday, February 3, 2014

Mixed Media Medallion II



I have been spending a lot of studio time exploring the new releases from Spellbinders. Among my favorite are the items from their collection A Gilded Life. Created in conjunction with Debbie Murray and Shea Fragoso, the line consists of bezels, pendants, dies, texture plates, and relics. Filled with European flair, these items seem at first glance to be ready-made for jewelry projects and home decor. For me though, they scream mixed media.

I am preparing for an exhibition in NYC in April and have decided to create what I am calling Mixed Media Medallions to use as components of my artwork. But as you will see, if you attach a chain to these pieces they would actually make some pretty cool jewelry -- which would be a first for me.

This is the second in the series...

I was inspired by the Royal Medallion pendant in antique gold and knew that I wanted to build a piece around it. Knowing that I would not be attaching a chain to this piece, I snipped off the loop at the top of the crown with snips for a finished look.


I sorted through my stash and found this aged, vintage pocket watch case and thought it would make the perfect base.


I added some found hardware to add height, detail, and just the right amount of grit.


Finally, I thought a bit of whimsey would be perfect and I die cut and embossed some hand painted paper into the shape of wings using the Mix'd Media Elements dies. (While this die has now been discontinued, you can probably still find it in some retails shops or online). I added a bit of extra dimension by stenciling the wings with ink. 


Playing around with these elements, I glued the pieces and created my mixed media medallion. 







I look forward to showing you in a few months how I will use this in a mixed media artwork for the exhibition.

Supply List

Spellbinders Paper Art Supplies:

MMM-001 SpellbindersTM Artisan X-plorer 
GL2-008 SpellbindersTM A Gilded Life Royal Medallion Pendant Antique Gold
S5-085 SpellbindersTM Shapeabilities® Mix'd Media Elements

Preferred Promotional Partners: Tsukineko®  VersaMagic Dew Drop Chalk Ink Pad Niagra Mist, Tsukineko®  VersaMagic Dew Drop Brilliance Pigment  Ink Pad Lightening Black,  Imagine Crafts® Inkblushers Sponge

Other: vintage pocket watch case, found objects, hand painted paper, adhesive, tinner snips


18 comments:

Claudine said...

This is very cool Seth, love the ay you used the pocket watch and everything looks all grungy and antiqued.

Karenliz Henderson said...

I can't wait to see what you create with these medallions. Gorgeous!

PocketSize said...

That is totally fantastic! I'm loving what you're doing with this collection.

Kathryn Dyche said...

You create the most fascinating pieces.

elle said...

Very cool! I just did my first 'really mixed' media piece. Well, that is lots of fun. ;~)

france papillon said...

sheer yumminess.
and of course i'm curious to see how you'll use it ;)

Things that make me happy said...

I'm really enjoying these tutorials, and looking forward to seeing the mixed-media piece you're making for the exhibition. Great stuff!

As an aside, you inspired me to finally, finally start my own mixed-media blog. I've been in 12 juried shows and had work published -- but never had a web site just for my artwork.

Unknown said...

It looks amazing Seth, can't wait to see where it goes at the end...

Luthien Thye said...

i can't get enough of this medallion! perfect in every way and I can think of at least 3 places to put it! on a book cover, on my wrist and round my neck :) super cool!!!

Create Beauty with Laurajo said...

WOW Seth!!!! I'd gladly display this in my home!! It's absolutely gorgeous.

Rose Curtis said...

love what you did with the bezel ... and we need those wings again!

Robin said...

Awesome Seth and I really enjoyed watching the process. Thank you for sharing.

Lost Aussie said...

A beautifully composed piece.

Katia said...

wow is really amazing

Nan G said...

Way cool, Seth! Oh to be a mouse and have a rummage through your found bits n pieces stash. ;) You have the coolest things!

Joyce said...

Love how you put this together and all of the techniques-such a beautiful piece!!

Patti Edmon Artist said...

Wow, love your recent pieces - so amazing! Thanks for sharing a bit of your process and technique:)

Gina Pisello said...

Love the metal work. Thanks for all the pictures and step-outs. I never know how to attach metal to metal. I will have to try some of your ideas.
Gina