Monday, February 10, 2014

Mixed Media Medallion III



I have been spending a lot of studio time exploring the new releases from Spellbinders. Among my favorite are the items from their collection A Gilded Life. Created in conjunction with Debbie Murray and Shea Fragoso, the line consists of bezels, pendants, dies, texture plates, and relics. Filled with European flair, these items seem at first glance to be ready-made for jewelry projects and home decor. For me though, they scream mixed media.

I am preparing for an exhibition in NYC in April and have decided to create what I am calling Mixed Media Medallions to use as components of my artwork. But as you will see, if you attach a chain to these pieces they would actually make some pretty cool jewelry -- which would be a first for me.

This is the third in the series...

This piece began with the beautiful gold Rose Medallion from the pendant collection from A Gilded Life. I removed the loop at the top of the crown with snips since I would not be using it as a connector.


To continue with the vintage feel, For an old world look, a patina solution was used to alter the surface of a piece of copper sheeting which was then cut to size using a die from the Sprightly Sprocket set. The edges of this die cit will add a sense of steampunk.


Finally, a vintage watch face, a watch gear, and several pieces of rusty found metal (along with a single brad) were gathered to add some grit to this piece. 


For more of an aged look, the surface of the select metal pieces was rubbed with patina gilders paste. Putting this all together, a mixed media medallion was born. 






I look forward to showing you in a few months how I will incorporate this into a mixed media artwork for the exhibition.

Supply List

Spellbinders Paper Art Supplies:

MMM-001 SpellbindersTM Artisan X-plorer 
GL2-005 SpellbindersTM A Gilded Life Rose Medallion Gold 
S5-048 SpellbindersTM Shapeabilities® Sprightly Sprockets

Other: found objects, vintage watch parts, copper sheeting, patina solution, gilders paste, adhesive, tinner snips, brad


13 comments:

Toni said...

Seth---looks like that needs to go on something with "keep calm..." Maybe a medallion for the front of a steampunk crown. maybe a hand holding it as an offering...maybe something to stamp in plaster. Fun.

Unknown said...

Stumbled upon this internet page whilst I was browsing for some information for our internet site, Cardsharing Server obviously this may not be all relative however its funny how one can access a website accidentally and discover one self reading something very different but just as worthwhile. I tend to get diverted a hell of a lot because of this.

amy of studio four corners said...

great combination of elements...especially like the "grit" part!

Anonymous said...

Seth - This will be a great piece for your gallery presentation! I look forward to seeing what is yet to come!!!

I always enjoy seeing what you see in different objects...thank you for the continued inspiration!!!

Kim Hupke

elle said...

You are mixing things up wonderfully!

Claudine said...

Beautiful Seth! Wow, wow and wow is all I can say!!

Bill said...

Your medallions are awesome! I've got to quit telling you that or you're going to get a big head.

Nan G said...

Awesome! Cool! Love how all the elements came together.

PocketSize said...

Love this one too! These medallions you're doing are fab. Kind of a shame to cover up the intricate inner edge of the main piece, but the whole thing looks great anyway!

Anonymous said...

The Idea is marvelous, i will Definitely deploy this idea at my home.

Darlene K Campbell said...

This is my favorite of the three. So I was checking your supply list and I'm wondering if the Spellbinder pieces are metal, too.
Would be nice to have a box of these ready and at hand for art assemblage. You could probably put these in Etsy to sell as is...definately look forward to seeing how you ustilize them next.

Iris said...

Your medallion is amazing - love it.
isoscia at aol dot com

Michelle Frae Cummings said...

Amazing! I love it!