Monday, August 17, 2015

A Look Back: Studio Table

To celebrate my 8 years of blogging, I am taking a look back and reposting some of my most popular and favorite posts. 


A little less than a year ago I hosted an online, collaborative project asking people to share images of their studio table: uncensored, unedited and most likely unkempt. Definitely a popular idea as 123 artists participated and the result became my most viewed post of all time.

When the studio table is full...

...the studio floor will have to do!

So many times when we are presented with images of artist studios, they are pristine -- almost as if nothing goes on in the space. This is often true in books, magazines, blogs, and Facebook. The reality is, of course, that during the process of creating, the mess multiplies faster than the matheletes at the International Mathematical Olympiad (and there really is such a thing)!

Let's go behind the curtain, throw any feelings of shame out the window, and show the world the underside of art and craft. I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

   2. Jo Murray - Art
   5. Bohemian Dream
   6. Clockwork Hare
   9. lerusho
 10. credmayne
 12. Pibis Page
 16. Cerulean
 17. LeissnerArt
 19. Kelly Kilmer
 27. Chim Prints
 38. Annmakes
 41. gemgirlart
 51. jacki long
 52. Von Pappe II
 55. Dog-Ma
 59. averrillart
 69. Geonrose
 75. Axully
 86. artsyletters
 87. ess-arr
 89. ZenZada
 98. Wen Redmond
 99. Terry Owenby
103. soul dare
116. Queen Kat
118. :Dept42:
123. Hastypearl

9 comments:

Catherine Athena Louise said...

Seth, Your timing really couldn't be better! I was just writing a post about my new work space when I saw your blog post come through… It was my most popular post of all time too! And so here is the update of my work table almost a year on >> http://catathenalouise.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/new-studio-space.html

Thanks so much for connecting us.

Blessings of beauty!
Cat xo

Jo Murray said...

Thanks for linking me among all those fabulous studios. It made me go back and look again. What fun.

cHim-prints said...

That was a fun "event"! Thanks as always.

cindy said...

Seth,
I had just spent the last week or 2 looking at these wonderful studio tables. Couldn't stop till I saw them all! Thank you!
Cindy

tamdoll said...

I love this post. So reaffirming that creativity doesn't need to be "picture perfect" and neat!

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

Very COOL post!

Sisterhood of the Muse said...

Proves creation can be messy...mentally and physically. But, Oh the wonders they produce! Great post :-)

Jackie PN said...

Thanks so much for reposting Seth!! Love this one- and love working on the floor as well!! ")

elle said...

At about the hundredth post, I GOT it! I am stifling my creativity by trying to maintain a fairly orderly work space. I haven't really thought of myself as compulsively neat. I just kinda like things looking good so I keep flat surfaces clear and close drawers and closets. While a couple of links made me cringe, most just said 'artist working'. :) Thank you, Seth. I will be doing less clicking on the decorating blogs and I'll be spending more time with my head down, enjoying the process and shutting the door behind me. I may have to make a sign, Caution- Artist Working like they do on construction sites. You are definitely a blessing! :)