In the May/June issue of Cloth Paper Scissors, my column The Creative Pulse is all about dealing with creative obstacles. I describe in detail the following five approaches to pushing through when life gets in the way:
1. Be creative in order to be creative. In other words, take out your supplies and start.
2. Instead of focusing on the effort that art can sometimes become, think of the playfulness that underlies it.
3. Take a break from social media and spend time with your art. Seeking out inspiration online is only helpful if it doesn't make us feel less than.
4. Focus on the process. Think of your creations as works in progress so they don't disappoint.
5. Break out your journal (or start one) but keep it for your eyes only.