Sunday, April 27, 2008

Handle with Care

Hmmmmm...I have been thinking about…hands. The importance of hands. The utility of hands. The beauty of hands. The meaning of hands. I use my hands to draw. I use them to paint. I use them to write. I use them to turn the lens on my camera and to press the shutter button. I am using them to type this post. Hands as nouns. Hands as verbs. Hands as adjectives. Raise you hand to ask a question. Raise your hand to answer a question. Lend a helping hand to your neighbor. That piece is handcrafted. This piece is handmade. And what beautiful handiwork they both are.


Hands up. Hands down. Hands on. Hands off. Hands across America. Clap your hands to show appreciation. Handles open and handles close. Handle with care. I can’t handle it anymore. He is handy. I've got my hands full. One hand washes the other. Employees must wash their hands. All hands on deck. The winning hand. Hand out. Hand it over. I want to hold your hand. On the other hand...hmmmmm...I have been thinking about...



9 comments:

moi said...

well thought out. interesting pics.

Chris said...

drawing hands has always been a huge challenge and frustration, and I'm sure others feel so, too! and it's also interesting to think of a hand in terms of my dog! i think about how she can't turn the door knob to let herself out, but if she's chewing on her Nyla bone and i try to take it, those paws clasp around that bone and there's no way shes going to let go without a fight! and that's not to mention the digging...

i think i'll try drawing hands next week. thank you for the inspiration!

Judy said...

Very handy indeed!
Hands to protect!!!
Sorry I missed you this time, alas.
October though isnt too far away.
xo

Gwen Buchanan said...

Hands are one of my most fav things... I always say I am going to do more work involving hands... so individual... and tells the story of each of our lives...

Thanks Seth! you are always so inspiring!!!

Anonymous said...

In French, The Hand = le Main
In Spanish = el Mano

this makes you Blog World's:

Main Man


but we already knew that.
Lisa H

Candace said...

I love what you've done with this post. Found you thru Judy Wise's site. Just a lovely blog here.

Candace

Anonymous said...

hand-some indeed these handy hands - I 2 have been holding hands in my thoughts...

hands down and thumbs up...

2 you

xox - eb.

kookaburra said...

love handles!

excellent blog.

--M

Anonymous said...

Got to 'hand' it to you............!! Great post!!!!