Thursday, April 22, 2010

reDISCOvery

One of the projects I dedicated most of 2009 to was the Disintegration Collaboration - or DisCo for short! The idea was simple. I invited people to create an artistic bundle made from materials of their own choosing and “hang, bury, submerge, or just place” the bundle in the elements. This collaboration was to be with the ultimate partner…Mother Nature herself!


I have always been fascinated with the impact of time on both nature and man-made objects. For me, there is intrinsic beauty in evolution, in change, and even in decay. In my mind this relates to our own aging, to the value of recycling and repurposing, and to the recognition of the beauty of weathered and distressed objects – be they a rusty fence, a wall with peeling paint, or ourselves!


123 people placed bundles in nature. Four months later, 96 participants revealed the results on their blog. But there was more. As a means of symbolically reflecting the re-creation that often follows dis-integration in nature, more than 70 of the original participants created a new artwork using some or all of the disintegrated materials from their bundles. You can read about the project, see photos of select bundles, and click through the list of participants in this blog post.


So why am I talking about this project now? Because DisCo has been reDISCOvered! I am thrilled to be able to tell you that this project is currently featured in a 7-page spread in the May/June issue of Cloth Paper Scissors.


The article includes the full story behind DisCo, photos of many of the participating artists' bundles at all stages of the project, the reveal of the final artwork I made from my bundle (yep - I had never posted that on my blog), and step-by-step instructions for this project so you to can try this at home!

Stay tuned for several upcoming posts highlighting a readers' challenge that you can join as well as my own DisCo creation...


And thank you to all the amazing artists who have been part of this project and to Jenn Mason at CPS who has been in my corner since the beginning of DisCo.

31 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations!! Hope you enjoy opening up your copy of the magazine.

Jo Archer said...

Congratulations Seth. I found your blog just too late to take part, but I did my own anyway. It was a brilliant project.

Jen Crossley said...

Congratualtions Seth you have done so much for the art scene well done

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Great news and well deserved too! Did I read there was another challenge coming up? Wahoo!

Brian K said...

Congratulations Seth!!! I can't wait to go and get a copy to check out the article!!!

William Evertson said...

Congratulations Seth; it looks like you have been able to expose the work to the elements and participants to the possibilities of chance. Well done.

Beanie Mouse said...

I read about your disintigration post through Ro in Australia and have tried it myself a couple of times!! It's SOOOOO much fun! Brilliant project!

*jean* said...

wonderful! congratulations! i'll look forward to reading about it!

Diana Trout {Nan.DT@verizon.net} said...

This is such a great concept for a project. It is really fascinating. I've always loved our local outdoor sculpture garden. There is a part in the woods where the sculptures are meant to melt back into nature.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm so proud to have been a part of this original collaboration. Congratulations on the write-up and exposure in CPS. As I've said before, you deserve all the exposure, as well as recognition for all the hard work.

Kris said...

Fantastic!! I am really looking forward to seeing the article.
Your project is most inspiring!!

theresa martin said...

Congratulations Seth, and thanks for submitting the project to Cloth Paper Scissors.

CiCi said...

Cool. Featured. Congratulations.

Julie Prichard said...

How appropriate for today! Congratulations Seth!

Jill Zaheer said...

This was such a wonderful collaborative project- connecting people from all over the world! Truly amazing to have been a part of it and to have seen such creative ideas and masterpiece projects! So glad that "Disintergration" has been recognized and "reDiscovered" and that people will be able to see the breadth and span of the works created. Congratulations to your brilliant idea and so happy that it's published!

Karin Bartimole said...

That is SO cool Seth!! Congratulations! I will definitely get and check out a copy :)

Kim Palmer said...

Congratulations on the CPS spread Seth, the project was amazing and it well deserved publishing!

Debrina said...

What fabulous news Seth.

azirca said...

Excellent, congratulations!

Diane said...

Such exciting news Seth! Can't wait to see the article in living color =)))

Debbie Overton said...

Not only is the 7 pg spread GREAT, but the "looks complicated..." tip you share on the pg 98 was enjoyed just as much. Congratulations Seth on everything!

merci33 said...

I can only hook myself on to the many wonderful comments already here and send out an echo...congratualtions, fabulous project and such well deserved recognition.
I love how you transform materials and media...always top notch.

A tired retired recluse @ Swallowcliffs.blogspot.com/ said...

Ah Seth... of course your brainstorm should be in CPS! This was a fun project to watch and read about and I am glad you are being published! As they used to say, you are moving on up....

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

BIG Congratulations Seth, and so well deserved too! You put so much, more than we all will ever know I'm sure, into your DisCo collaboration!
Waiting for CPS to appear in my mailbox!
oxo

Jacky said...

Congratulations Seth...I am looking forward to that article in the next CPS. You are such an inspiration for us all.

Jacky xox

Bill said...

Way cool! Looks like I better buy the magazine.

Congrats,
Bill

Ro Bruhn said...

I have the magazine, well done Seth, I enjoyed being a part of the project, it was fun.

Anonymous said...

My copy of CPS came yesterday and I saw that you are in it but I haven't had a chance to read the magazine yet...congratulations...I'm anxious to read your article.
Mary

Caroline Gill said...

Great to see the project rolling on and gathering momentum in the magazine. Well done, Seth: you must be thrilled.

Ange said...

Seth, I can't believe I haven't visited for so long! Anyway - just wanted to say I participate in my own way too. I leave my doors and planks outside in the rain for ages until they are even more weathered than when I first find them, before giving them a nice bath and starting along the creative path.
Looking forward to being back more often - although it is nice to have a loooooong read!!

laura said...

I'm so happy to have found this blog! Everyone here is into odd, rusted, strange, weather worn stuff! For about 30 years I have been fascinated with decayed or rusted objects. I have found rusted twisted pieces of wire, marveled at the piece, and placed it on the wall like a piece of art! My relatives have shook their heads in disbelief...So, I share with you all your enthusiasm for this art genre...