Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Book Guild: Chapter 17


Welcome to the fourth edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. Nearly 150 artists have answered a list of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented as a series of online and print projects. Secret Sunday was the first project and the links to all the secrets can be found on the sidebar of my blog. The Book Guild is the second project and Chapter 17 starts right now!


All artists participating in The Pulse were asked to name their favorite art books. The Book Guild will present this list, along with links, book reviews, giveaways, and interviews with many of your favorite authors. And as members of The Guild, I am hoping YOU will participate by leaving comments related to the books in each post - for example thoughts, book reviews, personal experiences, or a link back to your own blog posts that include artwork based on a project in the listed book.
_______________

GIVEAWAY

Thanks to everybody who entered last week's giveaway for a copy of Angela Cartwright's Mixed Emulsions. The lucky winner of this book is Krista from Krista Glavich Photography. Congratulations! Please contact me via email with your mailing address. And if you didn't win, you can purchase Angela's book here.
_______________
Chapter 17: Melting Pot

The Art of Rock Posters from Presley to Punk

Andrea Dixon selected The Art of Rock: Posters from Presley to Punk by Paul D. Grushkin as her favorite.
_______________


The book Calligraphie by Claude Médiavilla was chosen by Angela Negro as one of her favorites.
_______________

The Elements of Style Illustrated

Grrl writes that "Maria Kalman’s naive and retro style of portraying everyday events never fails to draw me in."
_______________

Hundertwasser (Taschen 25th Anniversary)

Both Yaz (aka JaPRA) and Jacky Williams chose Hundertwasser by Harry Rand, published by Taschen (25th Anniversay edition), as a favorite. JaPRA added "Right this minute it's Hundertwasser, which I read about on Lynne Hoppe's blog. What a colourful book! I am hoping it will help me break out of my black phase.
_______________

Mimmo Rotella: Selected Works

Jill Zaheer selected Rotella by Germano Celant as a favorite. Jill adds "This is a gorgeous book that presents the work of Mimmo Rotella- in both text and pictures in chronological order (1946 to 2006 when he passed away) with hundreds of reproductions of his detailed art."
_______________

Spectrum 1: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art (No. 1)

Jonna Barnett selected 17 books as favorites: Spectrum 1 thru 17: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art. She added "I love these books. If I am having an art block I can always pick one up for inspiration. They are the best."
_______________


Kelly Kilmer listed her newest favorite as Camilla Engman Project
_______________

Linda Moran says "I am reading more Photoshop design books these days, as I am moving into digital work. My favorite – Jacob Lawrence American Painter. A Major Retrospective Celebrating the Creative Genius of One of America's Most Important Painters."
_______________

Fred Otnes Collage Paintings

Terry Berg selected Fred Otnes Collage Paintings by Jill Bossert as her favorite.
_______________

Taking Risks with Watercolour

Joanna Olson said that she loved the work of Shirley Trevena.
_______________

Digital Art Studio: Techniques for Combining Inkjet Printing with Traditional Art Materials

Marianne Konvalinka selected Digital Art Studio: Techniques for Combining Inkjet Printing with Traditional Art Materials by Karin Schminke, Dorothy Simpson Krause, and Bonny Pierce Lhotka as one of her favorites.
_______________

JeriAnn Geller shared three of her favorites and said "Right now I’m in love with a copy of The Complete Graphic Works of Ben Shahn by Kenneth Wade Prescott I got at a library sale.

The complete graphic works of Ben Shahn

A close second might be Japanese Design Through Textile Patterns by Frances Blakemore. The serenity and creativity of the designs are really inspiring.


Also totally cool – Going Farther East by Gerard Lange available as a digital download at Issuu.

9 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have to admit, these really are a melting pot of great art reading. In fact, I've not heard of a single one of these books. I started following the links, then decided to let you know I was here. Now I'm off to check out the rest of the links and get my weekly dose of art culture. Have a great Sunday.

ArtPropelled said...

I havn't read any of these except for the Hundertwasser book so I'm off to follow the links.

jiLy Zaheer said...

What another super Book Guild Chapter! Just love the diversity of this amazing collection and what a gift to be able to just click on the links to view the books' info. An absolute perfect compilation of such a rich arrray of art heaven to look through. This is truly such a winning hand of selected "best books"- all by such special talented arrtists' themselves. What a winner of a collaboration!! Forever thanks!

Commuter's Journal said...

I loved the selections, Seth, and feel honored to have my nominees included. So many of us now combine words with our art and Ben Shahn was a master at doing this in two languages. I hope anyone who is curious will dig deeper and discover his work. As for this week's books, I'm over the moon about Hundertwasser, who is new to me, and so happy to see Moira's take on The Elements of Style -- as well as all of the other entries, which I am off to explore. Thanks for another great Book Guild Sunday!

Lisa H said...

...and JUST as I was down to zero on my Amazon charge account......

deb said...

I am envious of the owner of the Ben Shawn book, I love his work, I was likewise excited to find a book of Giacometti's drawings at the library sale this year!!

MrCachet said...

Seth, I'm getting a 404 on the Jonna Barnett link... Accidents will happen. Can you fix it, Please?

Parabolic Muse said...

LOVE Maira Kalman, Grrl! And, that art of rock book look right up my alley. I want it!!

Sharmon Davidson said...

What a great bunch of books; I've already added some to my Amazon wish list! Thanks for sharing the links to these!