Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Book Guild: Chapter 19


Welcome to the fourth edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. Nearly 150 artists have answered a list of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented as a series of online and print projects. Secret Sunday was the first project and the links to all the secrets can be found on the sidebar of my blog. The Book Guild is the second project and Chapter 19 starts right now!


All artists participating in The Pulse were asked to name their favorite art books. The Book Guild will present this list, along with links, book reviews, giveaways, and interviews with many of your favorite authors. And as members of The Guild, I am hoping YOU will participate by leaving comments related to the books in each post - for example thoughts, book reviews, personal experiences, or a link back to your own blog posts that include artwork based on a project in the listed book.
_______________

Chapter 19: Rule Breakers

One of my favorite things about these art surveys is getting responses that are outside the lines, such as when I ask for a favorite art book and get a list of more than 30 from a single participant! The artists included in this post did their own thing, as artists are known to do, and answered just outside the box.
_______________

Jude Berman: None! (at least as far as technique books go) I was going to include one recommended by a friend, but then I decided to give a more honest answer for me. Which is to say the books that teach technique ultimately do artists a disservice by stifling creativity. Art history books or books that show an artist's work--that's another story. I say, look at them all!

_______________

Deryn Mentock: How could I possible choose just one?! I'm an avid reader and have quite a collection of art books, new and old. I thumb through them when I need inspiration or just when I want to connect with other artists.
_______________

Julie Prichard: I am focusing all energy on creating at the moment; no books in line to be read.

_______________

Jean Zoss: I'm not much of an art book person. I was lucky to receive such good, basic instruction in art elements and design from the books used in high school and college. I do, however, view many of the mixed media technique videos on You Tube. I'm a big believer in making it your own and I am able to do this because of all the years of classes in the basics. I am a fan of many different photography and art magazines, however. But if it means spending money on magazines or art supplies, supplies always win.
_______________

Olivia King: I have more art books, books on various techniques, and magazines than anyone should own! It is probably one of my obsessions – always filling the bookcases with more books!

_______________

Fran Meneley: Instead of Favorite Art Book (which I can’t do because I can’t pick just one, way too Sophie’s Choice for me, I have hundreds) I am choosing my favorite art magazine. It’s been my favorite since I got the first issue in 2005, Selvedge always delivers inspiration for the mind and soul. It’s a British publication, independently published (bless them and keep the ad pounds and dollars rolling in), with the tagline: The Fabric of Your Life: Textiles in Fashion, Fine Art, Interiors, Travel and Shopping. It covers so much more than just textiles, please, please don’t be put off by that.


So many of their textile spreads are like fine paintings and drawings. They report on art from all over the world. And I promise that if you splurge on a single issue (a steep $25) or a 6 issue subscription ($115.00) you WILL be inspired and informed and a better artist for the investment. And it is an investment. I keep all my issues safely tucked away and turn to them again and again for reference and inspiration. Save your pennies, buy a copy (I see it at Borders and at Barnes and Noble now) make a pot of tea and be prepared to be taken away to a place of sublime inspiration.
_______________

Michelle Smith: Anything by Somerset {Stampington & Co}
_______________

Nancy Baumiller: I am not one to buy any "How Too" books...But I do so enjoy any of Teesha Moore's Magazines that she sells.


And I would have to say the favorite art books I ever bought are by Tony Fitzpatrick! His work is intriguing and something about the vintage elements he uses in his works, take me back in time, a very happy time as a child. I think it is the nostalgia that gets me!
_______________

I was lucky enough to recently have ordered Blackthorn, a wonderful booklet from writer, artist, musician, poet, and blogger Annie Kerr. In it she shares 15 short prose pieces. I was quite taken by the following piece, which I thought would be perfect for The Book Guild.

Paper Hearts

Every night after closing time, the books held readings in the darkness of the library. No need to shush for quiet, they all held their breath in anticipation of these precious hours. One book would lean forward and read aloud from it's own pages as much as could be spoken before dawn.

Just when the listening books were lost, spellbound by the story, the clunk and grind of security grilles, the bleeps of touch-pad codes cut through mid-sentence, mid-phrase, even mid-word. The sudden slam of covers was always like a spear through their shocked paper hearts.


Available for purchase in Inkhaven, Annie Kerr's Etsy shop.

12 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Another great edition with some truly memorable photos. I actually liked this post the best so far because it shows more personal photos instead of Amazon books. Granted, the Amazon links are fun to peruse, and show some great previews, but the personal element shown today really got my juices flowing.

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

Thanks for sharing and posting Seth! I can always count on your blog for a wealth of artistic knowledge.

deb said...

I love the books and their paper hearts, we all know our possessions spring to life the second our backs are turned, I like to think of the books sharing...

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for including a piece of my writing here. It feels particularly good to be included in the bit that is slightly outside the box! Ax

Leslie Avon Miller said...

Annie's writing is a delight, as is her music. Thanks Seth.

MrCachet said...

This is more like it, Seth. I really enjoy the reviews from artists.

elle said...

Paper hearts made me hold my breath! so great also was hearing the heart beating outside the box in these reviews.

Jill Zaheer said...

What a fun Book Guild Post! Took me on a journey visiting all of the included links. Beautiful writing from Annie Kerr, Fran's recommendation of Selvedge, and hopped on over to Teesha Moore's blog where I was smiling wide readnng about how to make a journal and the steps to set up a journal page. What a great inspirational post!

lyle baxter said...

seth,I have been given a wonderful book on collage which I would like to recommend to all your readers as" inspiration plus". Not an instructional book, but one to refer to many times for thoughts, ideas and sheer pleasure."Masters:Collage" by Randel Plowman. It includes the work of 40 artists from all over.
beg, borrow or steal it!

annell4 said...

Nice post. Paper Hearts was special!

Anonymous said...

Jude Berman is my kind of girl...
Orly

Marylinn Kelly said...

I like when your correspondents - and you - share what, forgive the trite, expands your mind. To be reminded of the magic around us always fills me with hope.