Monday, March 14, 2011

Visions


Every so often, an art book is released that speaks to me from cover to cover. You know the one that you constantly go back to for information and inspiration. I really only have a few on this list and one of them without doubt is Book + Art: Handcrafting Artist's Books by Dorothy Simpson Krause.
Book + Art: Handcrafting Artists' Books

This book was released in 2009 but I am posting about it today because I recently saw her current solo exhibition, Visions, at 571 Projects in NYC. Running through April 16, Visions showcases a series of new, mixed media works that have been inspired by an 18th century poem. The pieces in the show are framed and wall-hung, but an artist book based on the exhibition is in the process of being created. Dorothy Simpson Krause generously took the time to write the following to the readers of The Altered Page:

"I'm currently completing a book, Visions to accompany the exhibition at 571 Projects of images related to Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poem Kubla Khan or, A Vision in a Dream, A Fragment, composed in 1797 after an opium influenced dream. Coleridge's vision is of a savage place, with holy and enchanted caverns, walls, towers and a sacred river where "The shadow of the dome of pleasure floated midway on the waves". These haunting images of submerged architectural passageways, lit from within, reflect the branches of trees and illuminate floating leaves and flowers."



"Producing a body of work for an exhibit and making a book are similar in that they use images that have a relationship and work well together. While wall-hung pieces may be variable in size, shape and material and any number can be hung in any order, books are usually designed to be hand-held and bound so the images and text are sequential. In this case the wall hanging pieces, are much larger and use varied materials including fresco and aluminum. The book pages, incorporating text from Coleridge's poem, reformats and extends the images to produce pages that are 8.5" x 5.5". The paper, printing, binding and cover are yet to be decided but will be in keeping with the spirit of the work."



Head over to NearSay to read my review of and hear more details about of Visions. If you are in NYC, you can see Visions through April 16. Dorothy Simpson Krause will be at the gallery for the final day of the exhibition and will reveal her artist book at that time.

27 comments:

Maureen said...

This looks terrific!

3rdEyeMuse said...

it's been ages since I've visited & what a treat to find you supporting another brilliant artist - the images sing.

Kathryn Dyche said...

Those images look amazing.

lyle baxter said...

seth, this book is also among my very favorites. the interview and pictures are wonderful. I dont often wish I lived in nyc but now I would like to be there for the grand finale. please cover it all for us hicks! and thank for the post!

Anonymous said...

Love her, have the book, one of my all time favorite too, love the images posted here, her words, and your review of the show.
Thanks for presenting this to us, illuminating a few moments in a mundane day.
XOXOrly

Parabolic Muse said...

Oh, I must share this with my friends.

Unknown said...

Stunning! Thanks for introducing me to a new artist.

Holly Dean Artist said...

Ahh, yes. This is definitely in my top ten of favourite books AND artists for inspiration. Funny, as I was working on the planning of my new series yesterday, I thought, "Wouldn't it be a great idea to do a book to go along with the paintings?" There is so much serendipity in this world! I'm off to read your review now... Cheers, Seth!

mansuetude said...

Good review, interplay of her light and dark. That is a wonderfully rich poem, and right now i wish i had my margin notes from in my copy ... to make some connections between words and image.

Really love the "Black Gold" image on her blog.

thanks.

Kim Palmer said...

This would be a fantastic exhibition to see Seth. The images are wonderful, thanks for posting them. Bet you loved it! I'm so in for this giveaway. I love all things book arts!

Bridgette Guerzon Mills said...

putting this book on my wish list...
would be amazing to see these in person. Enjoyed your article/review, Seth!

jilly said...

Super post that includes it all- poetry, artwork, a great book and gallery exhibit all rolled up in one! Gorgeous images. Thanks Seth!

RosieK said...

Hi Seth - I bought this book a year ago and love it - her work is amazing and I am envious that you have seen the real thing - wish I could pop over to New York! but it's a long way - I will dream on!!

Laura said...

Thanks for sharing this and the work, for those that won't be traveling any time soon it is wonderful see it here..and I will be pulling out my book and taking a second look see of her work in there also.
~v~

Svetlana said...

I bought this book soon after it was published and every time I have inspirational block I look inside the book or go on her website. I wish I had the opportunity to be at the exhibition.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, thanks for sharing.

The book is definitely one of my favorites as well. Something about her way of describing things got me actually trying some of the ideas way more than most other books do.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! What great images!!!

layers said...

Seth, I have her book and a few others I have ordered from her website- I love her imagery and you have some very poetic ones here- with all the news coming out of Japan, a touch of poetry is much needed.

Wen said...

I love Dorothy's work. Her images are real fantasies! Images to dream with.

Leslie said...

I had the pleasure of sitting and rooming next to Dorothy during Daniel Essig's workshop at Shakerag last summer. She shared her stories and her wine with me many evenings. I would love to see her in NY on the 16th. Do you know what hours she'll be at the gallery?

And Book + Art was one of my favorites even before I met Dot!

Julie Shackson said...

Can't wait for Book + Art to arrive! I really love Digital Art Studio with Schminke and Lhotka too and keep going back to it over and over. It's really influenced some major decisions I've made recently.

Unknown said...

"In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure dome decree"
I love the poem and Dorothy's images are perfect visualizations. Thanks for sharing....am looking forward to buying the book!

Jo Archer said...

Beautiful work, haunting and ethereal.

I find that basing artwork on certain poems or literary quotes inspires me more than anything. Dylan Thomas is my current muse.

sewa mobil said...

Nice article, thanks for the information.

Julie Shackson said...

It's just arrived, and it's brilliant Seth........thank you so much for the recommendation!

rivergardenstudio said...

I love this book too, Seth... and these images are gorgeous. The show sounds amazing too. I wish I could see it! roxanne

Jacky said...

This looks like a 'must have'...thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Jacky xox