Saturday, June 29, 2013

Abswaxtes Bild

Last month I had the pleasure to spend two-plus weeks traveling through the Pacific Northwest, teaching workshops, exhibiting my work, and meeting many of my online art friends. It was an unforgettable adventure and I am just now beginning to sort through all my photos and memorabilia. 

I already posted here about my collaborative exhibition with Roxanne Evans Stout at Illahe Studios and Gallery in Ashland, Oregon. Since the exhibition closed, Roxanne has officially become a gallery artist and I am happy to report that Illahe is also continuing to exhibit several pieces of our collaborative work. If you are in the area, feel free to have a look.

I stayed in Southern Oregon for several extra days and spent time both exploring and arting with Roxanne. One memorable day was spent in her garden, working with encaustics. This was my first time playing with wax and I have to say, Roxanne was a great teacher. I made three pieces on rough hewn-wood, including this one...

Abswaxtes Bild


In spending a bit of time with this piece since I have been home, I realized that I may have been unconsciously channeling one of my favorite artists: Gerhard Richter. He is a contemporary German artist whose wide-ranging style runs from photorealism to colorful abstract oils. I sense a connection between the piece I made and some of the pieces in his series Abstraktes Bild (translation: Abstract Picture/Image). Do you see it as well?

Gerhard Richter


Gerhard Richter

The above piece from Richter, btw, was sold last year at auction by Eric Clapton for $34 million!


I really enjoyed working with encaustics and hope to again at some point in the future. For now, I can be satisfied with the memories of the materials and the process.



Abswaxtes Bild

After arting, Roxanne took me on a tour of the area. So many beautiful places and fun stops. My favorite, hands down though, was a visit to the Antique Warehouse in Klamath Falls.

Those of you who visit my Facebook Page may remember the following picture...



This is truly just one tiny section of what just might be the best spot on earth. My finds from there traveled with me back to NYC and are beginning to become part of new artwork, which will no doubt find itself in a future post.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Gerhard Richters work. Your encaustic painting certainly made an honorable tribute! You are more than welcome to stop by my classes at AU next month and play with wax if you're free. Meanwhile I'm going to have to look up that antique warehouse. If it's anywhere near Seattle I may be in trouble!

froebelsternchen said...

I saw a great documentary film about Gerhard Richter in german a few weeks ago.. what a fab artist - photographer! Your encaustic piece is a great tribute to him!

AMAZING!

rivergardenstudio said...

This post brings back so many fun memories Seth, I love your encaustic creations and every moment of having you here!!
roxanne

Aranthe said...

Definitely see the Richter influence. I like this abstract approach much more than the more representational encaustic work that I've seen. Yours almost makes me want to explore the medium. ('Cause I so need to spread myself even thinner.)

A Magical Whimsy said...

You are definitely 'channeling' Gerhard Richter's work. And do I see a hidden face with an eye, nose and pouty child's month toward the bottom/middle/right of your piece of mixed media artwork? Yours is a very intriguing piece.
Sounds like you have been having a blast wherever you go!

Lynn Cohen said...

Awesome colors and I see an eye toward the bottom giving it an eerie look!

Gwen Buchanan said...

How did you manage to leave the warehouse... That is amazing!

improv cloth said...

Hi Seth,
Gerard Richters is amazing! You can watch him work via a documentary on Netflix, I think it's titled "Gerard Richters"
I tried his technique with a scraper, and acrylic paint. I found that oil paint works better. Lot's of fun.
Seth, come to SF NM next summer and do a workshop?
Cheers,
Laura

Jo Murray said...

I have a wonderful book on Richter (...and just about every other artist on earth) where he paints over photos. Wax looks fun...but more mess than I need at present.

JonesMoore Studio Art, Lisa JonesMoore said...

I can see you have caught the encaustic bug, Seth! Wish we could have connected while you were here in the Pac NW. John Arbuckle kept me posted though!

donna joy said...

i need to know where that store is :) since i'll be up in the NW this fall. one of these days i hope to try encaustics too=but really need to do some major purging first.

Angi in hana said...

love your wax work! i have been dying to try encaustics, i was pricing pancake griddles the other day! i dream of going to antique stores just like that one, my family is in portland and every time i visit time just flies by! tx for sharing always and inspiring, aloha, angi in hana

ArtPropelled said...

I do remember wishing I could spend a morning browsing at the Antique Warehouse. I must have seen it on FB or Roxanne's blog. Now I wish I could spend the morning working with encaustics in the garden.

Linda M. Cain said...

All I can say is Oh My Gawd! I love encaustics as well and wish I'd spent more time using them.

~Linda