Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Imagine


Today's project and tutorial was inspired by a tag. While completing the background pages for a journal quite a long time ago, I painted this tag as a way to use up the extra paint on my palette. It had been lost in one of my many piles but today was the day for it to take center stage. I embellished it with some stickers, fabric and a bead and was ready to go...   


I started by completing the tag using the usual suspects: hand painted paper cut to size, rub-ons, stickers, rubber stamps, and a very cool arrow cut from Spellbinders You Are Here die cut set.


My next step was to make a pocket with a viewfinder for the tag. After all those months stuck in the middle of a pile, I thought this tag had earned a proper home. I started with some hand-painted paper from my stash.


I cut two pieces, approximately 5" x 3.75", using Spellbinders Distressed Edges die cut set.


Next I cut a "window" into one of the pieces using another die from the same Distressed Edges set. The area that was cut out was strategically picked based on the design on my tag.


Using my tag as a guide, I placed three strips of double-sided tape on the back side of the uncut piece of paper as a way to create a pocket for the tag.


Following that, I removed the backing from the tape and pressed both piece of paper together to form the pocket to hold the tag.


To embellish my pocket, I started by inking the edges of the pocket and the window to add a bit of contrast. I then continued by using a hoop that I created using hand painted paper and two dies from Spellbinders, one from Standard Circles Large and one from Standard Circles Small.


My next embellishment, which I cut down the middle, was from Spellbinders Botanical Swirls and Accents die cut set. It was made with more hand painted paper and centered on the pocket on either side of the window.


I wanted to keep the pocket on the simple side, so that the focal point was the view of the tag through the window. To that end, I ended a few additional rub-on designs to complete my project.



Supply List

Spellbinders Paper Art Supplies:

GC-001 SpellbindersTM Grand Calibur® Machine
S5-174 SpellbindersTM Nestabilities® A2 Distressed Edges
S5-396 SpellbindersTM Shapeabilities® You Are Here
S4-114 SpellbindersTM Nestabilities® Standard Circles Large
S4-116 SpellbindersTM Nestabilities® Standard Circles Small

Preferred Promotional Partners: Tsukineko StazOn ink pad

Other: watercolor paper, acrylic paint, acrylic medium, paint brush, pan pastels, sponge, spray ink, pencil, rubber stamps, rub-ons, stickers, fabric stamp, bead, adhesive, scissors, double-stick tape

10 comments:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

thanks fo your ideas...Cool!

elle said...

Thanks for the process. I imagine I can do this! ;^)

Kathryn Dyche said...

I love seeing your process . . . it always amazes me how other artists minds work.

Anonymous said...

Oh! That type of "tag"! Of course I thought of something else entirely! Duh!! Good stuff nonetheless!!

Michelle O'Connor said...

Love it! I've been collecting clothing tags to embellish and use in my mixed media art! Love your die cut sets - I'll have to save up for one! Thanks for posting!


http://www.michelleoconnorweekendartist.blogspot.com

Patzee said...

Love the peek-a-boo effect and how easy it is to make a window. Thanks so much for the step outs.

Jo Murray said...

It's always interesting to see the process Seth

Parabolic Muse said...

Wow, Seth. This is so awesome. I really enjoy the textures. That's what I've always loved about your work!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this fun idea! I love making tags, and I've thought about different homes for them; one of these days I want to make a fun little mini album for them, and your idea for a "window" makes that seem even more likely! Your design was brilliant and simple and I love it! Can't wait to see more :)

http://www.mellenasmind.blogspot.com

rivergardenstudio said...

It great seeing your process here. Love the pale green stage with the cut out "window" and learning how you work.
roxanne