Thursday, June 2, 2011

Collaborative Completion



Anybody who has followed this blog will know that I am usually involved in many collaborative art projects, all at the same time. Well, all good things come to an end and that is about to be the case for my collaboration with artists and friends Bridgette Guerzon Mills and Jen Worden.

Back in 2009 we began this project, where the main idea was to challenge and experiment with our creative skills. I created a handbound, vintage paper book with the theme Contexture. Jen created a series of loose metal pages with the theme Shine. Bridgette created a book with plaster pages with the theme Book of Trees.

We each now have our own projects back and are in the process of finishing them up. I plan to share each of the final projects on the blog and first up is Bridgette's Book of Trees.

Photograph by Bridgette Guerzon Mills

Bridgette's gorgeous cover was an enticing start and a great inspiration for my first attempt at working on plaster pages.



Reflection - Page published in Plaster Studio



Branch


Grow

Head on over to this post on Bridgette's blog, Contemplating the Moon, to see images from every page in her book and to read about her own personal experience with the collaboration.

_____________

I thank Bridgette and Jen for their talent, friendship, patience, and inspiration throughout these 2 1/2 years. And the icing on an already very sweet cake:  we are all very excited that all three projects will be part of an exhibition curated by Jane Michalski in July called Come Together as part of the Milwaukee Avenue Arts Festival in Chicago. Details to be posted soon.

27 comments:

Artsnark said...

very cool! You always have such great projects to share

Judy said...

The texture on these pages . . .wow . . . makes me want to reach out and touch them . . . . the colors and the materials . . . the outstanding creativity!

What a treasure!

La Paix

Judy

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Absolutely amazing Seth.....have to head over to the other blog to see more.
So much visual texture, just want to reach in the screen and TOUCH!

XXOO~~
Anne

Lynn Cohen said...

Wow these are cool pages with wonderful texture. I hope every one thinks to enlarge them to really see the texture, you can almost FEEL it!

Anonymous said...

Oh so stunning...just so yummy, I'm speechless...and I'll go and check out some more of her art through your link...what a great collaboration, very inspirational Seth. How cool is that, that you will exhibit these work. There is so much more than art that will be exhibited through this collaboration. Looking forward to seeing more of your projects in upcoming posts.
XOXOrly

Kathryn Dyche said...

Wow, you know how much I love texture. Very cool.

Lisa said...

A beautiful piece! I can see how the creative styles within your group complement each other.

Julie Prichard said...

Congratulations on your project coming to a close...and in a most magnificent way I might add as well!

Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

You always come up with such interesting collaboratives. It's cool to see your voice within the contex of the theme.

~*~Patty S said...

what a treat to get to see these fantastic pages...proof that good things are worth waiting for

BIG congrats to all on the Milwaukee art show too!

Happy June!
oxo

Cynthia Monica said...

What fun, and the end product is fabulous!

Leslie said...

Oh, how exciting! I love Bridgette's work, and this book cover is amazing! As is your work in it. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on completing another amazing collaboration! The books are so amazing. I can't wait to see your completed book as well in future posts. Also congratulations on your showing of the books all together ! Keep on inspiring us Seth!

lyle baxter said...

how grand! you do get involved in the most interesting things. please show us more!

Holly Dean Artist said...

Fabulous work, Seth, and very inspiring. Wonderful that these gorgeous books will be on exhibit together!

Debrina said...

I've never forgotten your page Refelection. It is by far one of my most favourite of your work, Seth. This may in part be because I have a deep affinity with trees but more likely the masterly way in which you handled this medium.
Truley a beautiful series of pages, Seth. Hard to believe that it was your first time with plaster. If I break a limb over the coming months (Gawd forbid), I'll be sure to fly you out my cast to decorate.

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

An absolutely devine post, congrats on another successful collab! I adore your work.

Parabolic Muse said...

Thanks for sharing so much of this with us, Seth! Thanks for everyone's hard work!
Been busy lately... always love catching up with your site!

Harnett-Hargrove said...

The rewards of working ensemble are great. This work a wonder. -J

Jill Zaheer said...

What a wonderful collaboration that you, Bridgette and Jen have worked on together. Just love that within the theme - each participant agreed to be personally challenged in the process. Super congratulations that all of your work will be exhibited- icing on the cake!

Liz Hampton-Derivan Studio said...

Beautiful collaboration!

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

A visual feast for the intellect and for the eyes!! I doubt I could keep my hands off of it, if I saw it in person. Isn't funny how that happens? Artists are very tactile!

Laura said...

I've taken a couple of encaustic workshops with Bridgette and she showed us a couple of pages. Absolutely amazing collaboration! Every pages is so sensual!

Roben-Marie said...

This is stunning!

Kim Palmer said...

I caught this collab over on Bridgette's blog and thought it was fantastic Seth. What a great piece this is! I can't wait to see the rest of the pieces either.

Gillian McMurray said...

A beautiful ending. Those plaster pages are amazing. I might have to try that technique myself.

Anonymous said...

i absolutely LOVE these pages, seth! magnificent! you three have created some beautiful treasures!!