Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Exquisite Corpse Festival


I have always been intrigued by the concept of the Exquisite Corpse. The name itself fascinates me but the actual process of creating one is even more exciting. It began in the early 20th century as a writing game but was later popularized as a drawing game. Three people were given one sheet of paper. The first person drew the head of a figure and folded the paper so that only the very bottom portion of the neck was visible. Using this as a starting point, the second person drew the figure's torso. The paper was again folded so that only the very bottom of the waist was visible and the third person drew the legs and feet of the figure. The artists were all blind to the work of the others. The drawing is then unfolded. What is revealed is a discordant figure, with the individual parts often surprisingly connected by the collective unconscious of the participants.

This year, the Exquisite Corpse Festival is taking this basic premise and applying it to a variety of media, including painting, printmaking, sculpture, photography, film, theater, dance, music, fashion, tattoo, cocktails, munny, clocks, and taxidermy.

I am thrilled to be a participant in the event, which will take place in NYC later this year.

I am one third of a team creating a sculptural Exquisite Corpse. As luck would have it, I am partnered with two gifted mixed media artists, John Borrero and Stephanie Rubiano. John created the base, Stephanie made the torso, and I made the head. The three pieces are in the process of being attached but I wanted to share a preview to whet your appetite...


The Festival opens July 9th with a presentation of the visual works and a musical performance. The event begins at 7:30 at Space on White in Tribeca. I would love to see you there! More information about the event can be found on their website here and will be posted on my blog soon.

29 comments:

Kathryn Dyche said...

Wow that sounds amazing, can't wait to see the full piece.

I remember doing the drawing game as a young child.

Jessica said...

How exciting! I've always wanted to do one of these in book form, but had never thought to do a piece like the ones you three are creating. Very inspiring!

Jill Zaheer said...

Seth- you never cease to amaze and fascinate me in terms of all the varied projects you are working on. Just checked out John and Stephanie's websites and can't wait to see the finished product. What a creative idea. When the project is over, where will the sculpture reside? So curious to learn more about your Exquisite Corpse. Thanks for the preview!

lynne h said...

wow, this is exciting, seth!! i can't wait to see what you all create! xo

Maureen said...

So creative. Am looking forward to see the full piece.

Julie Prichard said...

Interesting project! Can't wait to see it all..

Liz Hampton-Derivan Studio said...

Oh, how fun! I'm in a little drawing group that meets every Sunday afternoon. We've been doing some Exquisite Corpse drawings and having a great time of it. Some of the drawings are pretty crazy, but basically we've been amazed at our often good results. Wish I could be there for the festival. Look forward to more of your posts on this.

Shayla said...

That sounds like a cool project.

Marit said...

OH how I would love to be there and celebrate art, music and meet kindred spirits... I have to wait patiencely for you to reveil the piece on your blog... poor me...!

Anonymous said...

That looks so cool Seth! Can't wait to see what you three did. Congrats!

bockel24 said...

I´ve been in an Exquisite Corpse book project some years ago, so I can really relate to your excitement! Can´t wait to see pictures of your project.

ArtPropelled said...

I like what I see in the preview photo!

Caterina Giglio said...

how amazing this sounds, and cannot wait to see the reveal on your exquisite corpse... outstanding... no moss grows under your feet my friend...

Rita Vindedzis said...

This sounds amazing Seth. You are always involved in the most interesting collaborations. Looking forward to seeing the finished corpse.

Canace said...

What an amazing trio! This is going to be an incredible piece.

Great opportunity Seth.. can't wait to see what you've done.

Anonymous said...

Fascinating Seth..this and you...so prolific!
XOXOrly

layers said...

How intriguing! I have never heard of Exquisite Corpse--what a collaboration-- and thanks for the peek at what is to come.. can't wait.
Where you find the time and energy for so many varied projects and collaborations is fabulous!

Supria Karmakar said...

Seth...this sounds so amazing....Is this a one day festival..or how long does it go on for....thanks so much for sharing this with us...and your recent comment/visit..it is always so NICE to hear from you...I am slowly making my way to NY...maybe when I do we could finally meet....

mansuetude said...

like the text and metal in the image, have fun!

Anonymous said...

Cool stuff! Can't wait to see what becomes of this!!

Katie said...

what a wonderful project. I will be sure to follow it and see how yours turns out. inspiring!

rivergardenstudio said...

Seth! This new project must be so incredible to work on. Wish so much I could see the finished project!
The Oregon coast is beautiful this weekend... have some questions about my new project, but as I thought, email wouldn't go through! Anyway wondered how you do your step outs...
I hope your weekend in the city is filled with sunshine!
roxanne

Leslie said...

What an awesome endeavor, Seth! You find the BEST stuff to participate in.

Artsnark said...

what fun! Can't wait to see what you come up with

Gillian McMurray said...

What total fun. I used to play both the drawing and writing games when I was little. Can't wait to see the finished result.

Karin Bartimole said...

congratulations Seth!! the project sounds so intriguing - can't wait to see the final corpse in it's exquisite completion ;-)

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

This preview has me intrigued...will be so interested in seeing the results! I did something like this with another artist and we divided the body four ways but more as an exercise. This title far outweighs exercise...will be watching!

Anonymous said...

this sounds so magnificently fun, seth! the more i read, the more i want to go buy a plane ticket. your sculpture will undoubtedly be magnificent and i do HOPE you share lots and lots of photos. i can't wait to see the taxidermy, either. this is such a wonderful idea, and i know it's going to be a huge, creative blast. i want to find two people do do exquisite corpse collages with. how fun! you always have so much fun, don't you!!

Tumble Fish Studio said...

Consider me fascinated too! I am always just impressed beyond words what you manage to accomplish . . . what I wouldn't give to be a mouse in your pocket. Can't wait to see more so please share when you can!