Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Sunday Paper


Three new survey questions are now on my sidebar. Head on over and have your say!


If you are participating in the newest edition of The Pulse, please remember that your responses are due on June 12th, one week from today. If you are interested in participating but have not yet signed on, there is still time. Email me at shap97@gmail.com for information.


The next post in my new series Your Blog, Your Way goes live this Tuesday 6/7 at Create Mixed Media. If you haven't yet seen the first post (or done your homework), you can find it here.


Sending out a thank you to kimalousartsyfinds for including Fides from my Making Waves series in her newest treasury Can't Stop Looking. Fides is available for purchase in my Etsy Shop.


I designated yesterday as a book only day. No art making, no blogging, no chores. Thanks to everybody who commented about this on my Facebook Page. I really enjoyed the books I revisited from my collection. I read them cover to cover and managed to go through seven books -- a drop in my library bucket. I found the day both mellow and exhilarating at the same time and it reminded me of what I did so much of before the days of the Internet. I recommend this 'Day of Books' to all and will definitely be scheduling another soon.

My reads...

Acrylic Revolution by Nancy Reyner: Filled with an endless number of well-explained techniques for acrylic paint and acrylic mediums but a resource for so much more as well. The two page 'essential acrylic tips' section alone is worth the price of admission.

Art Making, Collections & Obsessions by Lynne Perrella: What artist doesn't love to collect? And what could be better than page after page of collections, obsessions, studio shots, artwork, stories and quotes from 35 artists. Lynne Perrella knocked it out of the ballpark with this one.

Artists' Journals & Sketchbooks by Lynne Perrella: The perfect blend of gallery photos and how-to advice. This book is one of my favorites and has a ton of post-its marking pages to return to. There is a lot of inspiration to be found here and it is a great source of imaginative ideas.

Collaborative Art Journals and Shared Visions in Mixed Media by L.K. Ludwig: I am all about the collaboration and this book highlights an endless array of collaborations that have been done by mixed media artists. There are great visuals but also the collaborative process is broken down step by step.

Art Making & Studio Spaces by Lynne Perrella: My third book by Lynne. Her books always tap into the most fascinating themes but more than that, she is simply a very talented writer. This book invites you into the studio spaces (and the heads) of 31 artists and makes you feel right at home.

Kaleidoscope - Ideas + Projects to Spark Your Creativity by Suzanne Simanaitis: This book is filled with fascinating projects, how-tos, inspirational stories, strategies to become more confident as an artist, and much more. Over 30 artists have contributed and It is like an all you can eat buffet for art.

Journal Revolution by Linda Woods and Karen Dinino: This book is part manifesto, part how-to, and part self-help manual. Follow along not only to learn how to journal your life but also how to free yourself from the inner critic and let lose in your journaling and artistic styles.


11 comments:

lyle baxter said...

In my house the evening is for reading! sometimes a little drawing,too. I too find myself returning to Lynne's books most often.I agree not only does she have talented artists' work shown but also she is the kind of writer who draws you in! thanks for sharing a good idea!

Kim said...

hi Seth
you are the featured artist at TAD this week
cheers
Kim

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

love these books...books and art so go together!!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You have reviewed some really interesting books. Some I've heard of or read, some I've not. Thanks for reviewing these and helping us decide which books to look for.

Anonymous said...

Great list! I've read I think 4 from this list...I think I need to reread these soon as well!

Unknown said...

Have read and enjoyed each of these in the past. Good selection for your first reading day, Seth. Glad it was so enjoyable for you, and worked out.

Jill Zaheer said...

Seven books in one day- that's definitely why you get so much done in each of your days. You read at the spead of lightening- and I guess I read as slow as a turtle travels. Thanks for the great art book recommendations and info on your other super projects going on! Huge congrats also on being Artist of the Week in the Top Artists' Directory. I see that the posting is dated June 6. Not only do you read fast- but posts about you are out before the clock strikes the appointed day!

TJ said...

Seth, thank you for sharing this - somehow I missed your post "your blog, your way" over at CMM so I appreciate knowing about the upcoming series.

Also, even though I follow your blog, I don't know why I wasn't a facebook fan yet. I appreciate when bloggers put links in their posts to help us readers get everything straight.

Now I'm going to go listen to that podcast!!

Laura said...

Thanks for the reminder to of disconnecting and regrouping which leads to ground and centering...I find it so helpful to do that and remember what was is still so good and special. helps me remember who I am and what I'm all about. with the stimulation that comes in I find I have know time to think for myself..Oh sorry for rambling it's just was a good thing you posted about I use a day like that in other ways..

Marit said...

You do know that 'hits' is different from 'visitors' and 'unique visitors' don't you? (I have a computer expert indahouse and know quite a bit about this...) Therefor I can't answer the last question of your survey this time. (I don't trust hits, I only look at the stats of the visitors/unique visitors I get on my blog, so the numbers won't get mixed up with numbers of search engines and spam and all...)

Anonymous said...

great reads and fabulous idea! i think i should do the same once a month or so. i have most of those books, but the couple i don't are going immediately on my "wish list". thank you, seth! you keep growing my collection. :)