Sunday, July 17, 2011

Style File: Chapter 5


Welcome to the 5th edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals. More than 130 artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented in a series of online posts which will run every Sunday. 


Style File is the 1st of 6 projects from The Pulse. Participants were asked: How would you describe your artistic style?
-----------------------------------------
Barbara Kleinhans




Minimalist and textural. I like to see how much of a story I can tell or emotion that can be evoked using the least amount of lines and colors.
-----------------------------------------
Denise Aumick




Organic evolutions! Textures, antiquities, ancient, relics, layers, of the earth mixed with a hint of new, shiny and bright.
-----------------------------------------
David Hayes




Exploratory. I'm still finding out who I am as an artist...and what my voice will be. I'm constantly trying out different methods, different materials, different themes...never content to stay with one for too long. I know I'm not a 'realist'...probably more of an 'abstract expressionist' but I'm not even sure about that. So I think I will stick with 'Exploratist.' (Hey, maybe I'll start a new 'movement'!) 'Mind's Eye' was created over a recycled canvas...I believe there are two other paintings underneath...where I just started adding one layer after another...not quite certain of the outcome. A little of this...a little of that...letting each layer suggest to me what would be next. Exploratory...
-----------------------------------------
Jane Royal




Accurate likeness yet not photorealistic, spontaneous and a bit 'unfinished' (as opposed to overworked). Full of emotion and imperfection.
-----------------------------------------
Paula Art




I would describe my artistic style as letting the wabi sabi of industrial debitage find a new life.
-----------------------------------------
Bleubeard and Elizabeth

I would have to say that my art is eclectic. I can't seem to find a single style I prefer. But one thing is evident from this nature inspired piece (School of Velocity), I don't do 'cute.'
-----------------------------------------
Amy Duncan




My style definitely has a vintage vibe to it - not only do I use a lot of vintage ephemera in my work, but my photographs (which I incorporate into many of my pieces) have a vintage focus to them. I like to build layer upon layer, telling a story in the process. Strong graphic images appeal to me - thus the constant array of numbers, letters and words in my work.
-----------------------------------------
Mary Beth Shaw




Sometimes I feel like I have a split personality because I vacillate between painting very loose wet in wet into tightly managed mark making and word play, often within the same pieces. I also either work with representational collage or in the abstract. The common ground in all my work is color and layers; I tend to paint in similar palettes, and no matter what my style I incorporate many layers. When I teach, I think my students are often surprised to learn just how many layers I create before I consider a painting done.
-----------------------------------------
Diana Trout




Three words I'd use to describe my artwork: whimsical, allegorical, realism. Using paint, paper, stitch and various drawing materials, I create an 'other' world with my artwork where people (or citizens) live in the glorious mess of life. I've been playing with crayons and watercolors lately in my journal ('Crayola House'). Eventually these pieces will become larger works.
-----------------------------------------


Next 'Style File' will be posted Sunday, July 24th.

30 comments:

Artsnark said...

Another wonderful selection! Thanks for the chance to discover such a fun variety of talent.

lyle baxter said...

seth, it was wonderful to see some new faces and works but my favorite picture of them all was the last one by Diana Trout. there is a woman having fun! thanks for showing us all these interesting artists!

Theresa Plas said...

Another GREAT collection Seth! Always look forward to these posts.

APG Jamie said...

tons of fun'age to see and read about

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

These are all so unique and different. When I see all these pieces, I feel a bit like Mary Beth Shaw's "split personality." Thanks for all these beauties today.

amy of studio four corners said...

great variety and inspiration from these artists - and appreciate your support and encouragement...thanks!

Anonymous said...

I agree with amyd ~ to look at these works is to be inspired! Thank you for all your support and encouragement...it means so much to me..and to all of us!!

bockel24 said...

thanks for sharing links to some amazing artists here! and hey, I´ve noticed another one saying her style is eclectic ;-)

Blu said...

It is so reassuring when I see the totally different types of art here! Bravo everybody.

Lynn Cohen said...

What fun! I loved hearing another artist say he did not yet have a definite style...exploring! Me too.
I laughed at loud at Paula Art! Those faucet flowers are adorable! It was fun to find an artists whose blog I read often, E. and bluebeard! I liked meeting new artists and hearing them describe their work. What an enjoyable Sunday morning it is here! Thank you!

And Seth! I got your latest published work in Somerset Studio yesterday and was excited to find you the very first article! Wow!!! Way to go!

Julie Prichard said...

I think Style File is my most favorite part of the Pulse yet. Enjoyable!

Jessica said...

Another great post! I see some familiar "faces" here, but also some new ones. Thanks, Seth!

Sharmon Davidson said...

Another feast of glorious artists and gorgeous art; thanks to you, Seth!

elle said...

Hard to pick a favorite here. They are all unique and beautifully expressed.

Denise Aumick said...

So much great looking art here. Major love fest going on with the faucet flowers. Thank you for coordinating all this, Seth.

MrCachet said...

Thanks for the help with the gadget, Seth. And thanks for hosting the whole Shebang. There's a whole bunch of artists out there that are giving me an entirely new perspective on this art thingie. So much to admire about style and how they interpret it.

Anonymous said...

I am learning via the Pulse that, although the styles may be different, the inspiration and thoughts about the work have a lot in common.

Jill Zaheer said...

Continue loving the variations in everyones' style- and even with those artists describing similar characteristics of layers etc, they are all so unique in character and personality. Another wonderful Style File post Seth!

Terry said...

Seth, I'm so terribly far behind - but have just been loving these posts, and getting to look at so many new artists' work. A belated thank you for including me in Chapter one.

Robert said...

Got busy and didn't get a chance to leave a comment for the Style File Chapter 4 post, so here's something for both Ch. 4 and 5: All of the work continues to be amazing and enjoyable viewing, and it is great fun to get to read the artist's own "take" on their work. In chapter 4, I was particularly inspired by the work and words of the following: Gail and her "what ifs"--what a wonderful way to grow as an artist and not "fence yourself in" to always working the same way; Stephanie with her art based on, and relating to, tribal, archeologic, folk beliefs, etc., etc. and how she incorporates these elements into her work; and Laura who creates depth in her pieces through layering, while using her art to express her emotions and sense of spirituality. In Chapter 5 I found myself entranced by the following artists and their work: Barbara's minimalist/textural piece with a limited color palette--I love the concept of the "least" expressing the "most," but have rarely been able to achieve this in my own work!; Paula's faucet knob flowers (as several others have said), are PURE inspiration, and truly delightful to look at--indeed, Wabi-Sabi Industrial style and materials used to cleverly recreate NATURE!--what a hoot!; and Amy's wonderful collage with a great graphic-feel in it's use of numbers and letters, strong composition, and limited color palette bringing a sense of overall unity to the piece. Many other pieces from both Chapters 4 and 5 caught my attention, but in the interest of brevity (HA!) I will have to leave my comments to those mentioned above, as I DO tend to go on and on! Thanks, Seth, for another great couple of weeks of visual inspiration!

Laura said...

Keep them coming...how exciting to see more and more and to read everyones statments of their work...great jobs!!

Bill said...

Beautiful work from everyone, but I especially like the "wabi sabi."

vivian said...

great stuff here again seth! thanks so much for putting together yet another pulse!

.Trudi Sissons said...

Hi Seth,
Although I've been following along, I haven't commented until now. You've pooled together such a diverse and talented collection of artists. There is so much to see, read, consider and take in - I end up following links to some that beg further exploration and before I know it, a half an hour has passed and I realize I've been on a magical tour of art and thoughts and human spirit!
This particular survey has had a huge impact, as you know, on my own search for personal style and I am grateful for your hard work in plucking these pearls out of this community and for inspiring me to look inside.
I'm off to explore Mary Beth Shaw as I was particularly taken in by her piece - reminds me very much of Laurie Doctor's style.

Kathryn Dyche said...

So many talented artists and I've definitely found some new favorites. I especially love the work of Barbara, Denise and Paula.

Anonymous said...

A beautiful gathering of images you got for us here Seth. I particularly love the first one. It's truly awesome how you interconnect with all through wonderful individuals who are generous to share their art and thoughts with us.

Mescrap said...

Cool !!
Great collection & such inspiring.

Parabolic Muse said...

Oh, those Shaw layers!

layers said...

How time flies for me-- another Style File- I enjoy these very much- to see a variety of artists and their works and 'in their own words' - a wonderful combination!

Holly Dean Artist said...

Another magical mystery tour of engaging art and artists. I love how it keeps on coming :)