Sunday, July 31, 2011

Style File: Chapter 7


Welcome to the 5th edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals. More than 130 artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented in a series of online posts which will run every Sunday.



Style File is the 1st of 6 projects from The Pulse. Participants were asked: How would you describe your artistic style?
--------------------------------------------
Crystal Neubauer


My style is all intuitive. I feel that when I shut down all outside distractions and allow myself to work from a process of trusting my intuition that a story evolves in my work that is beyond what I would have purposely been able to plan.
--------------------------------------------
JoAnnA Pierotti




My artistic style - tattered expressions using delicate items such as antique lace or tulle mixed with leather, rusty metals and chain.
--------------------------------------------
Kim Logan




I would describe my artistic style as an expression of emotion. I endeavor to portray the era and life of the people included within my work as real and having lived. The images I find in flea markets and ephemera fairs have been discarded or lost by their families and I like to feel I am giving them a second life. By studying their clothing and demeanor I can make an educated guess to the life they lived, and place around them ephemera that would be relevant to them to build a narrative of a possible life.
--------------------------------------------
Kim Palmer




Developmental, or maybe experimental. I consider myself still well in the throws of developing my own unique style. I don't think it's something you can rush. It happens through a long process of experimentation and I'm really happiest when incorporating new techniques, tools or media into a work. It drives me. I don't like to be confined by boxes as a convenient means of classification for others or to be predictable. I need freedom to explore. People will either like the finished piece or not and that's okay too. I'd rather know how others describe my style! Now that would be interesting! ("If Walls Could Talk")
--------------------------------------------
Ange




I'm not sure I have one style. It seems that life provides endless opportunity to change, adapt and experiment. There is always something new tempting me to dabble. My style is me in the present moment. Maybe I will be able to define my own style by the time I turn 90. Up till then, everything seems to be a logical progression. Admittedly, I have a penchant for practicing my calligraphic art on 'objets insolites' found in antique stores, dustbins and street corners across France. What my style lacks in homogeneity, it makes up for in attitude: that is, resolutely positive. It is imperative that I have a text of beauty or inspiration to work on, even if it is illegible at the end of the piece.
--------------------------------------------
Lisa Scadron




These words and themes come to my mind when trying to describe my artistic style: colorful, textured, layered, direct, and integration. The production of an individual work is guided mostly by creative play and very little by my original mental image and/or initial desire of how a work should look when complete. I play with the materials, or let them be, until I feel - viscerally - that the work is whole. I currently live with the painting 'Keep Trying' enjoying how sunlight reflects off the metallic leaf and metallic paint layers, continually changing the surface of the painting throughout the course of the day.
--------------------------------------------
Lisa Sarsfield




I think it's earthy. The colours (which are often nature dyes), the recycled papers or fabrics and the hand stitches that secure each piece reflect my respect for Mother Nature and love of using recycled materials. This photo I've chosen is of some 'nature papers' ready to be used in my collage. They've been died with home-made walnut dye and eucalyptus dye.
--------------------------------------------
Pat Pintingolo




I think my overall style is graphic abstract.
--------------------------------------------
Julie Shackson




Mixed media depiction of the natural world. 'Terrenaquea' - an exploration of natural forms in mixed media. This work started off as a photo of water printed on to watercolour paper gilded with gold leaf. The image was not a success as the paper caught in the printer, so dyed wet-strength tissue, mulberry bark, silk strands and scrim were collaged on to it to build upon its initial depiction of a rock pool. Acrylic paint and oil pastel accents complete the transformation.
--------------------------------------------
Bonnie Clark




My art is an exploration of the importance of change and releasing the past in order to facilitate personal growth, empowerment and transformation. The utilization of mythic figures, archetypes, motifs and themes allows me to explore letting go of the familiar, safe and secure in order to travel to the dark, often frightening, places of the soul. I use layers of digital images, ink, paint, handmade paper, ephemera, beads, textiles, fibers, and glass to create pieces in which some of the images remain visible while others become fragmented, distorted, veiled, or buried. The resulting piece is complex and multi-layered in the same way that life is complex and multi-layered. True understanding comes with being able to envision what is below the surface.
--------------------------------------------


Next 'Style File' will be posted Sunday, August 7th.

22 comments:

Leslie Avon Miller said...

Always interesting to read about artist's and their styles. Thanks!

And how do you describe your style Seth?

Ange said...

Absolutely fascinating to read about other artists and how they describe their style. Thanks again for featuring my work too. Looking forward to reading more. But for now - off to London for the day :)

amy of studio four corners said...

another great style file...have so many sites to visit - what an inspiration!

Kathryn Dyche said...

I was instictively drawn to the work of Julie Shackson and was even more excited when I found out that she was Welsh (being Welsh myself).

mansuetude said...

like the ideas of transformation and development here--

sharing like this is very empowering.

p said...

this is better than reading a sunday morning newspaper (which i dont do but i'm just sayin). really enjoying this!

ArtPropelled said...

I have to agree with Paula..... Better than reading the Sunday newspapers!

Cynthia Monica said...

Fabulously interesting to hear what artists have to say about their work!

Denise Aumick said...

Amazing cool-ness today. Some old time favorites here as well as some new ones. Thanks.

Carole Reid said...

Great post! It's always interesting to read what artists have to say about their work. Any chance of an "artist's studio tour file" in the future?

Seth said...

Thanks Carole. I did not ask for this info from the artists in this round of The Pulse. You are in luck, however. If you look on the sidebar of my blog, toward the bottom. you will see the heading "The Pulse - Chapter Three." If you scroll below that, you will see links to Studio Shots 1-4. I think this is exactly what you might be looking for.

Jill Zaheer said...

So many wonderful artists' work and visits to their blogs. So overwhelming with all of the super posts I am still looking at from your Buried Treasure. Another super collection of artwork in such varied styles. Thank you Seth once again!

Carole Reid said...

Oh my gosh Seth.....what an amazing blog you have! I am let's say......addicted! Thanks for pointing me to the studio tour file.

Laura said...

Again a wonderful collection of artist exhibited today.

Bill said...

Everyone's work here is beautiful! I especially like the doll created by JoAnnA Pierotti. Fantastic!

ooglebloops said...

Love reading about everyone's style and artful approach. And, discovering new artists!!!

Unknown said...

Yep. Good stuff as usual!

Dental assistant said...

These artworks reveal pure talent in the artists. Brilliant pieces. Thanks for this beautiful post.

Anonymous said...

It's great to get those little glimpses into someone's creative spirit and where they begin from. Fascinating. xox Corrine

Anonymous said...

Always fascinating to hear how artist talk about their work. It's an important skill as art doesn't always speak for itself.

rivergardenstudio said...

Your "Style File's" just get better and better! I love the expressive way these wonderful artists create their work, and the textures and the colors they have used. I agree with mansuetude, sharing like this IS empowering! roxanne

Kim Palmer said...

Thanks so much for including me in style file Seth. As always a wonderful group of artists here and fascinating to read their ideas about themselves. Like Jill I'm still going through the Buried Treasure posts and blogs butt loving it, LOL!