Sunday, August 21, 2011

Style File: Chapter 10


Welcome to the 5th edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals. More than 130 artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented in a series of online posts which will run every Sunday.



Style File is the 1st of 6 projects from The Pulse. Participants were asked: How would you describe your artistic style?
----------------------------------------------
Shayla Perreault Newcomb




My artistic style is 'meditative.' The rhythm of the three shapes prompts us to pause. I found out afterwards that this was also used by the ancient Greeks in a similar way to express what they call 'Kairos' or unmeasured time. When in 'Kairos' time, we're free of the daily rush and time stands still. (Sun Stood Still)
----------------------------------------------
Annie Kerr




How would I describe my artistic style? As I don't call myself and artist and have no art training except just getting on and doing it, this is a difficult question. I'm a musician and writer and spend most of my time with those. The time I get to spend on artwork is very precious and has to make the most of every moment available. So, it tends to be spontaneous and gestural, usually done in one sitting with the weather dictating if a piece gets finished there or not. I think this piece, inspired by a landscape near Wastwater in the Lake District, might show some of that.
----------------------------------------------
Laura J. Wellner




It is mine, I have no name for it, it's intuitive and natural, random - at times whimsical - it can go from complex to minimalistic from one piece to the next. I have hit a sweetspot creatively these last twelve years or so, these have been happy times. (If Not, Winter)
----------------------------------------------
Darlene AkA HugGeR Wilkinson




Altered or something where many mediums are used.
----------------------------------------------


Ordered chaos. As a graphic designer I strive for order but as a mixed-media artist I lean toward 'more is better.' (donde su alma vida)
----------------------------------------------
judy sidonie tillinger




This is tough - I'm kind of a dabbler and jump from medium to medium with photography being the through line. The photo represents one theme in my work - going close, finding the overlooked, the torn - an appreciation of the imperfect. I'm drawn to the Japanese aesthetic of wabi sabi, defined concisely on Wikipedia as 'a comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic centered on the acceptance of transience. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent and incomplete".
----------------------------------------------
Sharmon Davidson




My style is an eclectic mix of several, though I suppose it could be described as treading the fine line between realism and abstraction. My work is largely representational, in that real things are depicted, but aside from the fact that the images are layered onto the same substrate, the relationships between them don't usually occur that way inside the confines of physical reality. Content-wise, it probably fits best into the symbolist/surrealist genre.
----------------------------------------------
Tari Goerlitz




My style is busy and colorful with lots of black lines that confuse the order in which the layers were made. I have a weird compulsion to inter-connect everything inside my artwork. And I'm definitely going through a 'German' Phase!
----------------------------------------------
Billie's Craft Room




I vary between elegant, clean and minimal designs and grunge. I adore making something new look years old and well used.
----------------------------------------------
annie!




My artistic style is bohemian - free, loose, fearless and easy. An artist that I greatly admire saw my work on Flickr and commented that she loves my sloppy style...so I guess it's sloppy...but in a good way. An image that shows this off would be a page from my newest book...The Boat Book.
----------------------------------------------


Next 'Style File' will be posted on Sunday, August 28th.

14 comments:

cookievf said...

hi seth!
Like clockwork, I drop in for a visit and "POW" ~ you've given me something to chew on.

I enjoyed today's rich collection of art & artists and will stay a bit longer & browse a bit.

Thank you for creating a place which has become such a fine way for all of us to remain connected.
- vicki xo

Artsnark said...

Wow - some fantastic picks this week! Really exciting textures & styles. Thanks again for sharing your fun finds,Seth

ArtPropelled said...

Just what I needed! An inspiring dose of Style File with many talented artists and links to follow.

Liz Hampton-Derivan Studio said...

I look forward each Sunday to visiting The Altered Page, "meeting" new artists and being inspired. Thank you, Seth! One again, a great post.

Anonymous said...

What a great question and answers to go with!

Anonymous said...

WOW! I am loving this group of artist finds! Wonderful!!!

Anonymous said...

Once again...a wonderful collection of artists!!! Overwhelming, yet inspiring. Thanks again for doing this series!!!

Jo Murray said...

Boy oh boy, another day's great reading and inspiration here Seth. Thanks.

Diana Trout {Nan.DT@verizon.net} said...

So enjoying this Seth... You are getting some great work here and curating beautifully. It is so interesting to hear how artists describe their style.

Laura said...

wonderful work!

Julie Shackson said...

Wonderful selection here Seth! I've really enjoyed browsing your Style Files.

Gaby Bee said...

Wow, what a magnificent collection! aAgreat way to start this week.
Thanks again to you Seth for putting this all together and to all who participated.

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

I love these. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

ooh, i am loving these! i've fallen so behind but so excited that i get to see all of these wonderful posts all at the same time. i have SO many tabs open now of all of these gorgeous artist's sites to check out. i love being introduced to so much new inspiration.

thank you again for all that you do, seth. you are adored!