Sunday, August 28, 2011

Style File: Chapter 11


Welcome to the 5th edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals. More than 130 artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented in a series of online posts which will run every Sunday.



Style File is the 1st of 6 projects from The Pulse. Participants were asked: How would you describe your artistic style?
--------------------------------------------------
Terry Garrett




I would describe my work as narrative collage. I use my own altered photographic imagery and various kinds of ephemera to create works that can tell a story. (Flickers of Memory)
--------------------------------------------------
Cathie Parreco


I am an amateur and, as such, haven't really developed a style but I lean toward surrealistic-type depictions and like to play with placing images out of context. The relationships I create aren't done to shock or amuse; I mostly do it because I think they look good together. (Church Ladies)
--------------------------------------------------
Eileen Bellomo



Layers, layers, and more layers.
--------------------------------------------------
Shirley Ende-Saxe




I hope it's evocative. I want the work to sidle up to nostalgia without getting on that (rather sticky) horse and riding away. It should speak about the inevitable evanescence of time. One can hope at least.
--------------------------------------------------
Lottie Anderson




Expressionist or responsive.
--------------------------------------------------
Paula Bogdan




I am very much a visual journalist...the words are as important to me as the art. I have a great need to tell my story as it were. My pages jump with color and texture and there are layers upon layers. Paint covers up paper, and then I add more paper, and then more paint. Bits and pieces peek through, but even if they're covered up, each bit lends an energy that would have be lost if I'd only put down a single coat or two. I love the end product, but I love the process even more.
--------------------------------------------------
Robert Stockton




I am not sure that the artwork which I produce can be categorized as being directly connected to a particular artistic style. Most of my artwork falls into one of two distinct types: mixed media pieces on paper or museum board and wooden shadow boxes (which I call "scrapboxes"). I enjoy materials and processes that create an unusual juxtaposition of textures, patterns, colors and ideas, which sometimes lead to surprising visual connections. I like to think of my artwork as brief glimpses into the everyday details of a reality that may exist in another time or place. (Fall into Place).
--------------------------------------------------
Trudi Sissons



What I focus on when I am creating for myself is the 'inspiration' and emotion I experience as I study a certain color, image, or texture. The inspiration provides a starting point. Each day brings with it a blank canvas and an opportunity to explore. Right now, I would say I couldn't imagine not continuing to explore my love affair with colors. So, more often than not, my style normally is colourful! 
--------------------------------------------------


It's eclectic: I like to use everything that seems to fit a theme, may it be collage, paint or stamping, and I also include digital elements and words. This image is a journal page I've made for a tip-in project. The theme here was "An Italian-Affair". This is the right page incorporating my own photo taken in Florence that I've altered (soaked, scratched and painted) and mixed with papers and stamps. The result is am impression that doesn't try to be realistic at all but evokes memories of some happy days in Italy. (A Corner of Heaven)
--------------------------------------------------


I love to incorporate my photos in my art. When I painted, it was landscapes from my photos. My mixed media features my photography. I also love color and graphic elements. I would describe my style as influenced by my observations of the natural world, using colors and imagery that resonate and reflect the mystery of nature. (Sunset)
--------------------------------------------------

Next 'Style File' will be posted on Sunday, September 4th.

20 comments:

Leslie Avon Miller said...

Thanks Seth. Love Trudi's work in particular.

Anonymous said...

Great to read everyone's perception of their work, thanks for your ambitious projects. Stay safe today. xox Corrine

Anonymous said...

Thanks for including me with all these wonderful artists. I so admire all you do to encourage this collegial sharing of ideas.
Stay dry!
xoxo

Lillian said...

beautiful art...
Hi Eileen !!! well done my friend
Lillian
http://www.canadianscraptramp.blogspot.com/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mixedmediaart/

Sherry said...

More beautiful art to explore and experience. I love that 2 of my favourite artists are in this grouping, but I am always eager to discover more favourites! Thanks Seth!

Lynn Cohen said...

It's always an inspiration gathering fest for me seeing the art of so many imaginative artists here. Thanks for sharing their work and words.

Hope you are safe and dry in NY if you stayed there.

Artsnark said...

Another wonderful mix of art & artists! Thanks for sharing

Patti Edmon Artist said...

Love to see all this great work! Glad you are posting:)

Jo Murray said...

Thanks for all that Seth... lots of great sites for me to visit.

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Lovely to see marianne's work in this; I always enjoy her experiments with anything and everything and how it makes lovely art!
Delightful group Seth!

XXOO~~
Anne

.Trudi Sissons said...

Hi Seth - Thanks for this - I agree with Eileen - such a lovely group and I am honored to be among them!

Robert said...

Again, a wonderful collection of styles. Terry's "Flickers of Memory" is a piece that I can definitely relate to. I love the use of the colored images with the b&w background (the bureau), and the wonderful double meaning of the title! Cathie's "Church Ladies" seem blissfully unaware of the T-Rex about to pounce! Love this great juxtaposition. Nothing about this piece seems "amature." Shirley's piece may "sidle up to nostalgia," but definitely takes the "high road," and never crosses the line. Wonderful colors, and a splendid composition! Paula uses her visual journaling as an imaginative and creative way to tell her story through words and images. Love the layers; love the importance of the words; love that she loves the PROCESS so much! It shows! I really enjoy the well-worn look of Marion's memories of her trip to Italy. A fascinating example of disparate imagery creating a unified whole (or, in this case, "theme"). Love, also the very painterly look of the sky over the city, and between several of the other images. Another wonderful Sunday of images of imagination and inspiration, Seth. Thanks, so much!

craftyM said...

Love it, Eileen! So happy to see you here!
Marita

Laura said...

Wonderful !!!

Caterina Giglio said...

wonderful collection Seth, love Trudi's work!!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I have been very ill and fatigued..but we now have our computer up and going once again. Thank you for sharing these wonderful artists. Even though I am bed ridden I can still discover inspiration through another artist's personal journey. Peace, Mary helen

Gaby Bee said...

Another fabulous selection. Thanks Seth! I always try to pick out my favorite, but you make it very difficult. Everyone's work is so exciting!

Jill Zaheer said...

Wonderful Style File again Seth. Always love to see the combination of each artist's description of their styles along side their artwork. Thanks again to all the participants and your efforts for another wonderful post!

rivergardenstudio said...

This Style File is wonderful. I love the words, the art, and how your question brought out such amazing and different answers.
They could be a book in themselves. roxanne

IrelandBrady said...

Great pieces! I especially admire Trudi's work, she is an amazing artist.