Sunday, June 3, 2012

It's Still Life: Chapter 1


Welcome to the 5th edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. The Pulse is a collaborative project that aims to introduce you to new artists, help you get to know familiar faces even more, and allow you access into the creative hearts and minds of a very talented crew of individuals. More than 130 artists have answered a series of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented in a series of online posts which will run every Sunday.

Style File, Techniques & Tools, and Master Class were the first three projects posted and links to all these posts can be found on the sidebar of my blog. The fourth project, It's Still Life, continues now...


Participants were asked to photograph a still life that you create using an array of objects.
---------------------------------------------------

Anne Bagby

Sharon Read
"Beautiful Bottles"

Wen Redmond

Gail Pierce
"Over the years I've never succeeded at photographing the much loved still life object, eggs. The challenge was to use one brown egg along with two marble ones. I set the eggs onto my favorite outdoor surface and was blown away when I looked into the viewfinder. When I aimed the camera at the eggs, I discovered the reflection of the palm tree."

Eric Adama

Jodi Ohl
"Pearfect"

Cathy Minerva aka MinervasMadness
"My still life is titled "Time waits for no hand for Whom the Bell Tolls." And yes, I have a wicked sense of humor."

Pam Carriker

Kim Palmer
"The small rough built box contains a variety of seeds, resin and leaves from aromatic trees including juniper, cypress and cinnamon (the aroma is just wonderful), along with some small part of my bird feather collection. The box is resting on a vintage book from the early 1870's on the natural world and sits on the old black bean timber table in my studio."

Patti Edmon

Holly Dean

---------------------------------------------------
Next "It's Still Life" will be held on Sunday, June 10th

22 comments:

sf said...

One picture = a thousand words.
Eleven pictures = priceless...

layers said...

I love to see objects chosen and arranged by artists.. reveals their aesthetic 'eye'.

Kathryn Dyche said...

Love the range of items that artists have included. Makes me want to take a further peek into their creative spaces.

elizabeth said...

This is such an excellent idea! and most imaginatively interpreted.
Always amazed at each individuals interpretation of pretty much the same thing.
I used to do a mini impromptu poetry workshop for beginning writers.
Take any three things out of your pocket/handbag....but that was before the arrival of the cell phone.....

lyle baxter said...

when objects are contained the entire picture is different! that should tell us something!maybe it tells each of us something different! what do you think?

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

These are gorgeous. I only wish I had a good camera so I could take shots like the artists who you showcased this week. Wonderful collection!

ArtPropelled said...

It's interesting to see the choice of objects that each artist makes for the still life.

elle said...

Wow, these are incredibly inspiring. Wonderful!

deb said...

what a beautiful visual pause to begin my day - thanks

Anonymous said...

Beautiful set of images....wonderful!!

Unknown said...

What a great project! Enjoyed seeing all of these.

Marit said...

Getting an insight in the artist's minds by viewing their still lives... I thought the idea was marvelous when I read it the first time, and now you (and these artists) prove that. Fabulous!!!

Jo Murray said...

Love this project Seth. It's fascinating what 'Still Life' evokes in different people.

rivergardenstudio said...

Seth, like everyone else i love these, all of them are treasures, it is as thought the photographs connect the artist, his or her world with the viewer.
What a great idea and series this will be!!
roxanne

trish quilty said...

All the stills are intriguing and thoughtful. Makes me want to walk around inside and outside the house, gathering and hunting for a artistic display or an accidental one!
Thanks again Seth,
pat q

wandamarie.blogspot.com said...

OH so lovely and intriguing and on and on! thank you all!

Julie Shackson said...

Great collection; love Gail Pierce's eggs!

Chris said...

Enjoyed this so much. New blogs and websites to visit. Thank you!

Carol said...

I loved this also! Makes me want to create a few still life's of my own-very inspiring.

Caterina Giglio said...

wonderful great collection and Gails eggs with the palm shadow... just amazing!

Sharmon Davidson said...

All of these still life photos are windows into each artist's world and mind. I think I could have matched the artists to the photos taken by those I know. They are all so varied, but so telling; a chance to get to know these artists better, and be introduced to the ones I haven't met. I'm loving it!

Jill Zaheer said...

What an amazing group of varied compositions of every kind from all of your contributing artists.
Just super!