Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Read on...

It's a Do Over. Beginning today, I will be introducing some changes to the design of my blog - which has not been updated since birth in 2007. I am a creature of habit though, so the changes will be slow and subtle. The first change is the addition of the tabs at the top of the blog, which will take you to pages that offer a glimpse into my life as an artist. As of now, you can read about my book (soon to be books), my workshop DVDs, my publications, and my exhibitions. Next up is my 2013 workshop schedule. After that...who knows?

And if that is not enough reading for you, then read on...


Some recent finds, a bit off the beaten track and all added to my wish list...


Joseph Cornell's Manual of Marvels: How Joseph Cornell reinvented a French agricultural manual to create an American masterpiece. First spotted on Cool Hunting. This looks beyond amazing!


Sketchtravel by Gerald Guerlais. The results of a 5 year collaboration among 72 artists. Check out the Sketchtravel blog here.


Building Stories by Chris Ware. I think I am mostly drawn to the format of this "book", which is actually a box filled with 14 books, booklets, magazines, newspapers, and pamphlets.


Book Art: Iconic Sculptures and Installations Made from Books by Christine Antaya. Books as sculpture. Includes the work of Brian Dettmer, Guy Laramee, and Jacqueline Rush Lee.


In My View: Personal Reflections on Art by Today's Leading Artists by Simon Grant. 75 artists explore the single work of an artist that inspires them.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Two thumbs up to the small subtle changes. Your blog is like an old friend. Like a spot that is comfy (stuffed couch/armchair/reading spot) and well lit and where one just wants to stay for awhile. So it's nice to have that known comfort whilst slowly enjoying the small changes. By the way I heard that the NY Public Library (THE library) is thinking of shipping some of their books to N.J. to make room for socials (computer room, more seating, etc.)~this is one change that is not subtle and I'm not fond of the idea at all. *smiles* Norma

donna joy said...

That Cornell book looks interesting. I love his work-several of the others look good too~

donna joy said...

That Cornell book looks interesting. I love his work-several of the others look good too~

Anonymous said...

Change is good, or so they say - i have made the change over to wordpress-still called artfullyooglebloops- issues with people not being able to post comments, plus problems with me posting photos, caused me to abandon ship. I hope my followers will come along!!!
That book art book looks intriguing!!!

Unknown said...

Very interesting collection of books. Looking forward to watching the changes on your blog. I find it very easy to navigate.

deb said...

darn you! more books I need!! LOL - no thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Seth, Seth, Seth...

Must you do this to our pocketbooks now???

Rebeca Trevino said...

love your collection of books! change is always good, just go slow so i can keep up.
and finally thanks for pushing all of us to the edge . . . eventually we will all follow your flight. we WILL fly!

Janine Whitling said...

good for you Seth, its always a bit fun having a re-do. ps that book arts book looks pretty amazing!

amy of studio four corners said...

always looking for more good reads...thanks for the suggestions...

Lynn Cohen said...

so much here grabs my interest and gives me ideas...thanks for sharing it all, and happy new subtle changes...

The Creative Beast said...

I love love LOVE Joseph Cornell and have loved his work for nearly two decades. I can see I will have to add the book to my collection of JC books - thanks for the recommendation!

Looking forward to seeing the changes evolve on your blog Seth - a little 'rearranging of the home' never hurts =-)

Debrina said...

Change is good, sometimes; other times, why fix something that isn't broken? Having said that, blogger has come a long way since 2007! Glad to see you utilising some of the nifty add-ons that blogger offers.

Ella said...

Thank you Seth, for sharing these amazing, inspirational finds!
I love the gathered insight :D

I, too am going to update and like you are a creature of habit! I look forward to seeing what you do~ ATB

Parabolic Muse said...

I love the idea of making slow changes, and doing your blog your way! And your readers will stay on their toes!

I got the Chris Ware for Christmas because I LOVE comic novels and graphic novels, and I also like the structure idea. I asked for it and I'll get it! The Cornell is intriguing. Thanks for sharing.

Robert said...

Wow, Seth! "Joseph Cornell's Manual of Marvels" is going on my Christmas list right now!!! I love that you bring back "The Book Guild" from time to time keeping us all up-to-date on the great 'goings-on' in the world of art books! Thanks for that!

Robert said...

Wow, Seth! "Joseph Cornell's Manual of Marvels" is going on my Christmas list right now!!! I love that you bring back "The Book Guild" from time to time keeping us all up-to-date on the great 'goings-on' in the world of art books! Thanks for that!