Tuesday, July 8, 2014

View Finder


I love making my own books. Over the years I have shifted away from using complex binding methods and now generally use more simple -- and sometimes purposefully wonky -- bindings. That was the case with today's book, which was inspired by windows and the changing views as we look through them.

Using the border die from the Vintage Brocade Die set from Spellbinders, I cut double-sided, decorative paper into 7 ½ x 2 ¼ inch strips. These will serve as the pages of my book. I love the curved corners and plan to use these in landscape mode.


I also cut black card stock into two strips using the same die. These will serve as my back and front covers.


The Spellbinders Scratched Lines Texture Plate was used to add some texture to the front cover piece.



Using dies #1, 2 and 3 from the Spellbinders A2 Curved Matting Basics B die set, I cut windows into each of the pages in random locations. This led to the book's title View Finder


As you turn the pages of the book, you will be able to see through each window onto the subsequent and previous pages. This will add a lot of dimension and interest to the book.


I will put aside most of the pieces from the cut window to use in another project but I will hold onto four pieces to use to decorate my cover.


Sorting through my stash of found objects and embellishments, I chose a vintage watch face to be the focus of my cover design. I also used both a vintage element and a circle die cut from Spellbinders Standard Circles Large set to stack with the watch face.


I selected a number of other elements, mostly metal, to use as well.


Trying out several different designs, I finally settled on one and glued the pieces to the cover. For a finishing touch, I randomly splattered the cover with some white paint.


Using waxed linen thread and a needle, I bound the book using a simple Japanese Stab binding.



The book is now complete and ready to be used as a journal.







------------------------------

Supply List

Spellbinders Paper Art Supplies:

GC-001 Spellbinders® Grand Calibur® Die Cutting and Embossing Machine
GLLD-007 Spellbinders® A Gilded Life Vintage Brocade Die
GLT-001 Spellbinders®A Gilded Life Scratch Lines Texture Plate
S5-172 Spellbinders® Nestabilities® A2 Curved Matting Basics B 
S4-114 Spellbinders® Nestabilities® Standard Circles Large

Cross Promotional Partners: 7 Gypsies Postale Paper Pad

Other: card stock, assorted embellishments, vintage watch face, needle, thread, paint, adhesive

14 comments:

Rosemoo said...

Does it lie flat open or do you need to bend the pages?

Maryanne said...

I love this book, Seth! The windows you cut in the pages makes them so interesting. Very cool!

elle said...

I like the simple bindings and all the overlaps! :) yay for books!

Unknown said...

Awesome! I love the cover- you use all the elements perfectly.

Unknown said...

this is great!

GalleryJuana said...

Bookmaking is addictive, and I love the "windows looking through windows" format for the inside pages.

PocketSize said...

That is so cool! I love the idea of seeing small portions of the following pages through whichever page you're on. And the project as a whole looks really good, of course, with how well you layer and group embellishments.

Unknown said...

Very cool. I like the simplicity. I'll have to familiarize myself with your book binding. It looks like something I could do. Love your embellishments. Thanks for sharing. I really like it.

Nan G said...

Very cool. Love the binding.

Jackie PN said...

Wonderful book and it's binding Seth! Love the way you used new and old elements for the cover-too cool!

The Creative Beast said...

This book looks WONDERFUL!! LOVE the vintage look and feel of it and the 'wonky' stab stitched binding adds to it all...I'm inspired to make a book with cut-out windows now!

Stampendous said...

In LOVE with this project and completely copying it!! Thanks for the great suggestion, it's such a unique shape and idea!

Michelle Woerner said...

WOW! this is amazing!

Becca Feeken said...

Seth, this is super cool!! It's a special touch that you can see through each window to the next layer. Love books - and this one is simply awesome!!