Tuesday, August 26, 2014

NY, NY: II

Week three of my travels in Australia and I thought that while I am away from my home base in NYC...I would bring some of NYC back into my world. All this week I will be reposting images of art exhibitions that I have seen in New York over the years. There have been many, so this represents just a few of my favorites...

The Power of Art


We all have the great opportunity to see endless amounts of art 24/7 online. I am tremendously lucky to also be able to see a wealth of art in person, in the museums, galleries, and auction houses in NYC. I never take this for granted.

But in truth, I am often underwhelmed. I see many works that do not move me. But every so often, an artist, an exhibit, or a single artwork knocks me over and reminds me of the true power of art. And this happened when I visited Anselm Kiefer's exhibition 'Next Year in Jerusalem' at the Gagosian Gallery in a 2010 exhibition.

Like a cabinet of curiosities, this show was literally filled floor to ceiling with fascinating, emotionally powerful, and jaw dropping objects. The exhibit knocked me over like a hurricane. This is not 'pretty' art. But it does what art does best: it made me think, it made me feel, it made me remember, and it made me once again love the power of art.












5 comments:

Roberta Warshaw said...

Anselm Keifer knocks my socks off, if I were wearing some......

Kathryn Dyche said...

Interestingly I remember going to a museum somewhere and his a textured piece of his really grabbing me. So much so that I later purchased a book of his work. There is something incredibly powerful about his creations, would have loved to have seen this, thanks for sharing.

Jo Murray said...

Can you see I'm GREEN! The chance to see these works up close would be a dream.

Carol said...

Wonderful that you've shared this, Seth! Very powerful stuff and a lot of beauty in there too.

Parabolic Muse said...

I'm so glad you took the time to share these images. I don't know if I'd ever seen this artist if you hadn't. I'm off to see more. Glad you're home safely and hope your jet lag is non existent.