Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Past, Present, Future


The current, May/June issue of Cloth Paper Scissors magazine is focused on tools. I am thrilled to have a feature in the magazine which shares my process for creating collage with dimension and texture. 


My tools: die cuts.


I take the reader, layer by layer, through creating dimensional collage.


There are instructions and photos for every step.


And I share 9 ways to to put you own individual, creative mark on die cuts.


So many artists I meet do not use die cuts in their work...but through this article, I hope to change some minds.


---------------

9 comments:

Annie said...

Seth, Congrats! You are becoming a real art star. xoxo

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I love this Seth. I wish I could afford the dies to make art like you, but they are outside/beyibd the reach of my art budget. You have some really clever tips, it appears, though. The last photo is incredible.

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

Funny you should mention die cuts, Seth. I have been thinking a lot about getting a die cut machine but buying all the dies seems so expensive....I have resisted....

carol watson said...

Love the piece on the cover. Just got a couple of your dies and some of your stamps in the mail today....can not wait to play!

Beulah Bee said...

Have you seen Handiedan's sculptural hand-cut collages? An amazing and gifted artist who uses repetitive layers in a similar fashion, she lives in Amsterdam and her website is handiedan.com

Jo Murray said...

Clever you...so many great techniques!

elle said...

My BIG cutter is usually buried and clunky so I got the grand kiddies and me a small one. We are cutting and pasting!!! :)

Terry Ricioli Designs said...

I've just started exploring the possibilities of using die cuts in my jewelry. You can cut so many different types of materials besides paper - cloth, leather, thin metals, plastics...

Pawsitively Creative said...

Well I sure do enjoy the way you use your die cuts! I will have to look for this magazine because you have piqued my curiosity! I have a Cuttlebug and it doesn't seem to cut the wafer dies very well so I haven't been using it much. Hopefully your article also touches upon the paper/matboard you use to create such thick die cuts (I am assuming multiple layers glued together?) that can take paints and such well. Thanks for the awesome sauce pics of your fantabulous designs! ~Niki